Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

Being a big Minecraft fan (It's my second favourite game, guess what my favourite is), I was excited for the upcoming 1.17 cave update. And then today they released a new snapshot (or pre-release) that added a bunch of cool stuff, as well as upgrading the rendering pipeline to OpenGL 3.2 to support all of it. My trusty Lenovo Thinkpad laptop, which has served me well for many years and turns 10 this year (that's elderly for a computer), runs OpenGL 3.1. So this snapshot, every snapshot that will come after it, and the eventual full release of the update won't work on my computer :(

I guess I should have seen this coming, and it serves me right for sticking with ancient hardware. I've already been looking into getting a modern desktop to play games without the graphics at minimum, but this pretty much makes it a requirement if I want to keep playing the newest versions of Minecraft. I guess I'll stick to version 1.16.5 for now - at least I can still play the newest version of KSP. 

P.S - I must say well done to Lenovo for building a computer that is still functioning after nearly 10 years. I doubt many laptops made today have what it takes to last that long. This thing is a trooper.

19 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

My trusty Lenovo Thinkpad laptop, (...) turns 10 this year

They make good products, even if it's not the top of the line.

Are the limitations with the CPU/GPU or what ? I think laptops from that time still features replaceable-socketed CPU, although if it's a GPU problem you're most likely toast.

46 minutes ago, YNM said:

They make good products, even if it's not the top of the line.

Are the limitations with the CPU/GPU or what ? I think laptops from that time still features replaceable-socketed CPU, although if it's a GPU problem you're most likely toast.

It's a GPU limitation, the Minecraft developers have upgraded their rendering system beyond what my integrated graphics support.

might be able to replace the CPU and solve the problem, since the CPU is handling all of the graphics. But considering that it's only one game that doesn't work anymore, and that I'm planning to get a more modern machine soon, I don't think it's worth it.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

So, as I mentioned elsewhere, one of my buddies at work retired last week after working in the IT department here for thirty years. He basically built the entire network infrastructure at the college from scratch. This week the college president sends out her monthly college newsletter, and in it she has a big article about the retirement of one of the advisors at one of our satellite campuses. She has a big article about the retirement of one of the groundskeepers. Not a peep about the retirement of the guy who built the network infrastructure that the newsletter was sent out on. And everyone sits up nights and wonders why I'm so bitter. I really need to find a new job.

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

So, as I mentioned elsewhere, one of my buddies at work retired last week after working in the IT department here for thirty years. He basically built the entire network infrastructure at the college from scratch. This week the college president sends out her monthly college newsletter, and in it she has a big article about the retirement of one of the advisors at one of our satellite campuses. She has a big article about the retirement of one of the groundskeepers. Not a peep about the retirement of the guy who built the network infrastructure that the newsletter was sent out on. And everyone sits up nights and wonders why I'm so bitter. I really need to find a new job.

Oh wow, that is bogus. What if you wrote up an article and submitted it to her to be put in the newsletter? She may not have realized his importance, which I suppose is typical for the IT world. Only get noticed when it doesn’t work, right? So it might help to rub her nose in it  educate her a little....

Edited by StrandedonEarth

4 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Only get noticed when it doesn’t work, right?

At which point the question comes: "What are we paying these people for, if they can't keep everything working all the time?"

On 3/12/2021 at 10:17 PM, TheSaint said:

At least he retired.  Had one of my coworkers die a few years ago and the company posted his job before they told anyone he had passed away.  But that is still pretty crappy with your buddy.

In other news, I had to put down one of my dogs this morning.  He was a rescue that we inherited from my mother-in-law - she passed 8 years ago, so he was pretty high up there in years.  He hated just about everyone & everything except for me & my wife's dog.  He was also a fighter - he was a yorkie mix and weighed <10lbs, but I've seen him get loose & chase a large pitbull two blocks up the street.  Sad to see him go

Both of the KSP tech support questions I asked left the forum front page without any answers or even votes... to be fair, my computer may be haunted, as the bugs were really weird.

Edited by DAL59

9 minutes ago, tater said:

My beef rendang is reducing, but seems insufficiently tender... hopefully that changes as it's been cooking for hours.

We're having burgers and tots tonight. Which is like beef rendang. Sorta. If you squint a little.

52 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

We're having burgers and tots tonight. Which is like beef rendang. Sorta. If you squint a little.

It finally got fork tender.

10/10, would eat again. Really, really fantastic.

I just got an Anycubic Photon Mono SE. It looks like a pretty cool 3D printer. Now if only I could make heads or tails of ANY piece of 3D modeling software! I'm giving Blender a shot, since it's open source, but honestly, it feels like overkill. There are so many features that are just not needed for a static 3D model, and it's hard to see through the clutter to the basic tools I need. I've yet to figure out how to even manipulate the starter cube, much less generate new shapes! Good Lord, I am so lost! :confused:

I don't know if there's a more suited tool for creating 3D models on Mac, but I'm bound to eventually learn... I hope! :/

8 hours ago, richfiles said:

I just got an Anycubic Photon Mono SE. It looks like a pretty cool 3D printer. Now if only I could make heads or tails of ANY piece of 3D modeling software! I'm giving Blender a shot, since it's open source, but honestly, it feels like overkill. There are so many features that are just not needed for a static 3D model, and it's hard to see through the clutter to the basic tools I need. I've yet to figure out how to even manipulate the starter cube, much less generate new shapes! Good Lord, I am so lost! :confused:

I don't know if there's a more suited tool for creating 3D models on Mac, but I'm bound to eventually learn... I hope! :/

uhh for solid modeling dont use blender. Its not really meant for solid modelling, its more for I think for mesh based stuff.  Fusion 360 is free (ish, there's like paid tiers for additional features, but the core modelling should still be there), and might work on mac? Its what I'd personally use to make just quick home project 3d models for printing.

General usage of fusion is make a sketch extrude, make new sketches.

There's also a funky program called OpenSCAD which is script based and open source, but I would not use that personally.

Edit: Gonna leave a link since the autodesk site is terrible to navigate - https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/personal

Edited by qzgy

17 hours ago, richfiles said:

For modeling parts I want to manufacture I use Onshape.

If you plan on making models based on primitives, definitely get something parametric with design tree. It will make your life much easier. FreeCAD, Onshape, Solidworks, Fusion 360...

Even SketchUp is better then Blender (but still not all that good).

If you want to model organic stuff, take a look at Rhino.

Blender is insanely powerful, but I find UI to be atrociously nonintuitive.  Compared to a proper CAD software like Solidworks, it's just no contest. If you end up using Solidworks, I may be able to help you if you get stuck with something.

Had to download FreeCAD 0.17, due to my out of date OS. Mac OS 10.10 barely managed to successfully install on my Hackintosh setup, and I've got so many older apps that will never see updates due to the companies that created them going the way of the dodo, that I kinda need to completely start from scratch when I build my next rig, cause a LOT of older stuff will break on newer Mac OS versions. Obviously, with PC part availability being how it currently is, building a new PC right now is not necessarily cheap, nor easy, and with Apple switching to Arm, even Hackintoshing may be out the window in the next couple years. For now, I just wanna get a modern Hackintosh OS setup going, even if it's running on some older hardware. I do have a 4770k and motherboard I can use to build a second one with... I'm still going nuts trying to figure any of this all out though...

For the time being, yeah, I think I'll give that older revision of FreeCAD a try. 

Honestly... Once the world finds new chips once again, I wanna just build a top tier PC for my workshop. Someday™ :/

As for Fusion 360, I avoided it because I don't wanna give AutoDesk the time of day, much less register an account, just to download a free application. I don't really trust them to not someday completely change their monetization strategies (look at what happened when they bought Eagle), so I will forever distrust and ignore them. As a hobbyist, they are simply not worth my time.

Edited by richfiles

7 hours ago, rynther said:

You ever have one of those days when you don't think that you could lose any more respect for humans, only to have them prove you wrong?

Yes, I've been awake before.