Jump to content

Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?


Recommended Posts

On 3/23/2021 at 4:49 PM, richfiles said:

Now if only I could make heads or tails of ANY piece of 3D modeling software!

I use sketchup for just about everything.   I use the 2017 version, as it seems to be the last offline version.   The plugins are pretty good too.   It's a very rare day that I can't do something in SU that a plugin won't do.    I'm slowly learning F360 too, but SU will probably be my goto.    If I need something parametric (a variety of sizes), I'll hack my way through openSCAD, but I'm not very good at it.   The beauty of Sketchup is the push/pull mechanism it's based on.    I start with a shape or a block, and then I just mold it to the shape I need.   I've been able to make some very technical and complicated items with it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2021 at 8:55 PM, Gargamel said:

The beauty of Sketchup

Y'know, when I voluntarily visit a thread about negative things, I'm not waiting for fluffy rainbowey glittery happy positive helpful messages.

Get off my lawn, you hippie.

<grumble>

.

.

.

.

<while puttering around in Sketchup>

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why, by Kraken's Sake, every single thread started by a newbie asking directions about something around here invariably get a one star on the Rate?

This is getting ridiculous to the point that I starting to actively look for one star rated posts, as these ones are usually from people really in need of help.

Sometimes I wish we could know who is starring the threads.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lisias said:

This is getting ridiculous to the point that I starting to actively look for one star rated posts, as these ones are usually from people really in need of help.

The Lone Star superhero...

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

Sometimes I wish we could know who is starring the threads.

Newbies. They are thinking somebody notices the stars.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Job Satisfaction Story of the Day:

<I answer my phone>

"ITS, this is [TheSaint]."

"HELLO, IS THIS CONTINUING EDUCATION?" (Like, seriously, this guy is yelling at the top of his lungs into to the phone.)

"Um, no, sir, this is the ITS department."

"THE WHAT?"

"ITS, Information Services."

"THE WHAT?"

"THE COMPUTER DEPARTMENT. WE WORK WITH COMPUTERS."

"OH, SORRY, WRONG NUMBER."

<click>

My kids overheard from the next room (joys of working from home) and they thought it was the funniest thing they've ever heard. They've been running around all morning yelling at each other, "THIS IS THE COMPUTER DEPARTMENT!"

I have a feeling it's going to be one of those days....

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the K-6 kids my wife works with trotted out the classic  “That’s what she said!” line, in the proper (improper?) context too. So now that line has had a bit of a revival in our house...

E: for instance:

Spoiler

 

 

Edited by StrandedonEarth
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does CAD feel so unintuitively obtuse? Why do I feel my soul die a little inside when I just want to make a simple shape, and have this thing connect to that thing, and not have to go through a billion steps to define what feels like it should be the same constraint for multiple objects. How do people DO this and not just snap! :0.0:

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, richfiles said:

Why does CAD feel so unintuitively obtuse? Why do I feel my soul die a little inside when I just want to make a simple shape, and have this thing connect to that thing, and not have to go through a billion steps to define what feels like it should be the same constraint for multiple objects. How do people DO this and not just snap! :0.0:

Because AutoCAD is the gold standard for CAD interfaces, and the AutoCAD interface was created in 1982, before the widespread acceptance of graphical interfaces, the computer mouse, etc. So every release of AutoCAD, and every competing product, has been all about maintaining that interface, because that is what all the CAD professionals know and love. And if they went and made that interface simple and easy to use, then there would be no such profession as "CAD professional" anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

because that is what all the CAD professionals know and love. And if they went and made that interface simple and easy to use, then there would be no such profession as "CAD professional" anymore.

They are.

Spoiler

Freimaurer_Initiation.jpg

 

Like in old good times of the medieval masonry lodges.
You should marry a CAD professional's daughter to become a CAD professional. 
Cuz family secrets.

 

6 hours ago, richfiles said:

Why does CAD feel so unintuitively obtuse? Why do I feel my soul die a little inside when I just want to make a simple shape, and have this thing connect to that thing, and not have to go through a billion steps to define what feels like it should be the same constraint for multiple objects. How do people DO this and not just snap! :0.0:

Just Read The Instructions.

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRo7jIcoFNOWMeZJAKQ0bk

. and the CAD interface will get pretty intuitive.

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRG30W6BOb_Mpmws4fg_1B

 

Hey, look, the key layout!

220px-Pigpen_cipher_key.svg.png

 

 

 

And that's your CAD achievement ribbons.

Spoiler

372f0411f7b859f63d5b1285467ce330.jpg

 

Edited by kerbiloid
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, richfiles said:

Why does CAD feel so unintuitively obtuse? Why do I feel my soul die a little inside when I just want to make a simple shape, and have this thing connect to that thing, and not have to go through a billion steps to define what feels like it should be the same constraint for multiple objects. How do people DO this and not just snap! 

idk though, I prefer CAD to a pencil and straightedge any day.

EDIT : Also, maybe a musician can help you a bit...

Spoiler

(was an ongoing livestream when I edited this)

 

Edited by YNM
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cat has been on a rampage this week. One dead bunny, one live bunny on Wednesday. This morning two live bunnies running around we had to catch. And she just went out again. I'm keeping one eye on the dog door....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

Cat has been on a rampage this week. One dead bunny, one live bunny on Wednesday. This morning two live bunnies running around we had to catch. And she just went out again. I'm keeping one eye on the dog door....

What did you expect?
Look here:
moon_day_WaxG_80.jpg

P.S.
Do not forget to close your bedroom door properly this night.

Edited by kerbiloid
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Be careful out there, people.

Lost a friend in a car accident yesterday morning. Milliseconds matter. Brief inattention matters.

In this case my friend (the wife of a couple we are friends with) somehow missed a stop sign in an unfamiliar neighborhood, she entered the intersection and an SUV hit her on the driver's side (tiny convertible, too).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

crypto currency seems absurdly complicated. after farming a couple hundred bucks i tried to buy something. and encountered mystery fees, absurdly high withdraw limits and needlessly complicated authentication. no wonder it hasn't caught on in the mainstream. the purchase i made seems to have gone through, if i get in in the mail in a couple months il know that the whole thing wasn't a waste of power and gpu time.

Edited by Nuke
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Nuke said:

crypto currency seems absurdly complicated. after farming a couple hundred bucks i tried to buy something. and encountered mystery fees, absurdly high withdraw limits and needlessly complicated authentication. no wonder it hasn't caught on in the mainstream. the purchase i made seems to have gone through, if i get in in the mail in a couple months il know that the whole thing wasn't a waste of power and gpu time.

1619542369-20210427.png

My wife saw this cartoon and laughed, and then asked, "What do people do with Bitcoin anyway?" I said, "In general, they use it to get real money."

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nuke said:

crypto currency seems absurdly complicated. after farming a couple hundred bucks i tried to buy something. and encountered mystery fees, absurdly high withdraw limits and needlessly complicated authentication. no wonder it hasn't caught on in the mainstream. the purchase i made seems to have gone through, if i get in in the mail in a couple months il know that the whole thing wasn't a waste of power and gpu time.

It's also a threat of climate change among other issues.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-01-26/is-bitcoin-mining-worth-the-environmental-cost

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Jacke said:

there is that. excpet for a couple things:

1. im on hydro power. i think my total consumption is equivalent to a couple 100w incandescent bulbs. 
2. im only doing light mining right now to recoup hardware costs.

though if i scale up by a factor of 8-10 i can actually make enough money to live on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheSaint said:

1619542369-20210427.png

My wife saw this cartoon and laughed, and then asked, "What do people do with Bitcoin anyway?" I said, "In general, they use it to get real money."

its that last part that i haven't figured out yet, but if i can order things with it thats a start. i still dont know how to pay rent or utilities with the stuff, and thats kind of important. but a lot of companies are sitting on as much bitcoin as possible on the grounds that its value keeps going through a boom-bust cycle with a consistent increase in value over all. they are more than happy to exchange it with goods and conventional currencies as part of an investment strategy. if i was smart id do the same. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...