Jump to content

Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?


DAL59
 Share

Recommended Posts

I bought some RAM in May. It was advertised as 8GBx2 (16GB)
Due to having a lot of work, etc, I have not had a chance to get around to testing it or installing it. Looked at the part number... It's actually 4GBx2 (8GB) :mad:

Saw a company that builds up economy servers for home/small business using older generation hardware.
$150 shipped for a 1U rack that has an Ivy Bridge era 4 core Xeon, 14 SATA ports on the motherboard, a 400W 80+Gold PSU, and 12x 3.5" bays + a spot for a 2.5" SSD. Not gonna lie, for a small home server or NAS, that is a ridiculously good price. The catch, it doesn't ship with memory. Also, one generally loads a server board with ECC memory... It will work with unbuffered ECC memory... Now the question is, will it work with straight up non-ECC RAM? 8GB is the suggested minimum for running FreeNAS, and well... I have 8GB of RAM that I suddenly have no other use for, but it's not ECC... And I honestly have no idea if it'll even work on that motherboard or not. :/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2021 at 5:46 AM, richfiles said:

I bought some RAM in May. It was advertised as 8GBx2 (16GB)
Due to having a lot of work, etc, I have not had a chance to get around to testing it or installing it. Looked at the part number... It's actually 4GBx2 (8GB) :mad:

Feel your pain, same thing here. I have some parts standing on the storage for 9 months. And the backlog doesn't stop to grows… (sigh)

Once I finally manage to fix something, another one breaks (when not two) and...

 

On 7/18/2021 at 5:46 AM, richfiles said:

Saw a company that builds up economy servers for home/small business using older generation hardware.
$150 shipped for a 1U rack that has an Ivy Bridge era 4 core Xeon, 14 SATA ports on the motherboard, a 400W 80+Gold PSU, and 12x 3.5" bays + a spot for a 2.5" SSD. Not gonna lie, for a small home server or NAS, that is a ridiculously good price.

Nice rig. I bought a Dell SC1425 for peanuts two years ago, spend a bit of money expanding the CPU and the memory, and now that damned thing is one of the fastest computers on the house!!! :D (and the loudest… :P )

 

On 7/18/2021 at 5:46 AM, richfiles said:

The catch, it doesn't ship with memory. Also, one generally loads a server board with ECC memory... It will work with unbuffered ECC memory... Now the question is, will it work with straight up non-ECC RAM? 8GB is the suggested minimum for running FreeNAS, and well... I have 8GB of RAM that I suddenly have no other use for, but it's not ECC... And I honestly have no idea if it'll even work on that motherboard or not. :/

Probably not. But the final word on the subject is on the motherboard's service manual.

Some high end motherboards are also used on Workstations, where non ECC memory is preferred (as they are slightly faster than ECC counter-parts, and for some tasks this matters), but since the thingy is on a 1U case, it appears to be highly customised as a server and I doubt it will accept non ECC memory sticks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2021 at 11:31 AM, YNM said:

Seems like humans have a hard time learning things.

The director-general of the World Health Organisation:

More than 3.5 billion vaccine doses have now been administered globally, and more than one in four people have received at least one vaccine dose, according to Ghebreyesus.

“On the surface, that’s good news. But it masks a horrifying injustice,” he said. “75% of vaccines have been administered in just 10 countries. In low-income countries, only 1% of people have received at least one dose, compared with more than half of people in high-income countries.” [...]

Ghebreyesus stressed that this is “not just a moral outrage,” but also epidemiologically and economically self-defeating.

source

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We may have a serious problem. Including in learning things.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(21)00324-2/fulltext

16 hours ago, Chemp said:

Ghebreyesus stressed that this is “not just a moral outrage,” but also epidemiologically and economically self-defeating.

After the international scuffles over PPEs in early 2020, is anyone surprised? COVID has massively empowered the proponents of economic autarky and "Country X First". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2021 at 8:27 PM, Chemp said:

“On the surface, that’s good news. But it masks a horrifying injustice,” he said. “75% of vaccines have been administered in just 10 countries. In low-income countries, only 1% of people have received at least one dose, compared with more than half of people in high-income countries.” [...]

Yeah. Filled cemeteries and lost relatives can't lie...

12 hours ago, DDE said:

We may have a serious problem. Including in learning things.

... and that's not counting the impact it have on survivors.

Like, at this point, I have to admit pandemics are worse than the usual physical natural disasters (tropical storms/cyclones, volcano eruptions, earthquake, tsunamis) - you can't misinform those physical disasters, and even if you do additional damage is rarely a result, but you can very easily misinform a pandemic and creates many more deaths than otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...