Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

Sellers of fake COVID vaccination certificates begin to auction off the personal data of their clients... each of whom is liable to criminal charges.

https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/5066303?from=glavnoe_2

Quelle surprise, of course... but the database for a (loosely defined) Moscow region is 500,000 entries long.

We've had over 200mm rain in the last 24 hrs (definitely not 'normal')and it's still raining. Roads are getting flooded or mudded by landslides all over the place. Vancouver is now officially cut off from the rest of Canada; all highways have been cut by slides and/or floods. The only way out is through Washington state, which is suffering the same flooding issues.

Edited by StrandedonEarth
typoes

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Walmart grocery shelves are empty, unless you want margarine. I assume it's the same at other stores, when 70 people burst into Superstore after they shut the doors because they were at capacity...

And apparently no more gas either...

Pays to stock a deep pantry. For next time. ;) We'll be saying prayers for all of you up there in the Northwest tonight. Stay frosty.

5 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Pays to stock a deep pantry. For next time. ;) We'll be saying prayers for all of you up there in the Northwest tonight. Stay frosty.

Fortunately, while I wouldn’t quite say we’re well-stocked, our cupboards are far from bare, so we can eat for awhile. Thankfully we still have power or things would be getting uncomfortable. 

21 hours ago, Stormpilot said:

Personally,  after 5 days stuck, I’m close to arguable insanity. It’s all fun and games on Chilliwack island.

For me the "arguable insanity" point usually arrives at the two-three week mark. That's judging by both one incident half a decade ago where I by choice (or laziness) spent two weeks indoors with only an XBox for company, and the early days of COVID-induced remote work. By week three I was crying on my boss's shoulder (remotely) that I don't know why we're even bothering with the current project.

Well, I bought a CPU, Motherboard, RAM, and an M.2 NVMe drive. I was fed up with my perpetual lack of upgrades, and I managed to get some good deals... Only problem is all the money I also dumped into upgrading my old boards, particularly the RAM and an extra CPU, which I'll now never use. I hate selling stuff online.

So, the board is a Gigabyte Aorus Elite z490, the CPU is an Intel i9 10900K, the RAM is 64 GB of DDR4 3200 (2x 32GB sticks), and the M.2 is a Mushkin Pilot 2TB.

Okay UPS, USPS... I'm waiting! CPU was supposed to arrive today. Tracking doesn't show a single arrival since it left it's origin, and it wasn't ion the mail today. RAM should have shipped last week, but didn't even get sent out till yesterday. Might get the M.2 tomorrow., and the theremal compound still hasn't shipped... I've had the board for a whole week!

Hurry up and wait...

Edited by richfiles
And still no new GPU...

6 minutes ago, richfiles said:

Well, I bought a CPU, Motherboard, RAM, and an M.2 NVMe drive. I was fed up with my perpetual lack of upgrades, and I managed to get some good deals...

You too? :P

I'm pretty "liquified" :P because I had to spend some serious money on a minimally reasonable machine for professional work - so the damned thing need to be small (to do not clutter the desk), reasonably decent and still be power eficient, as this thing will be on the whole day and I can't afford a new refrigerator style power hungry device. My current professional machine is starting to get too old, and it almost died on me this week - can't take the risk on relying only on it anymore. It will be demoted as backup machine soon.

Problem - everything at hand around here are cheap, and crappy, or reasonably good and costing me the price of a side by side fridge. As long as I don't try to add a GPU card, situation in which the damned thing starts to cost more than a second hand car.

So I ordered components from half the World, in the hope they are delivered yet this year. Meno Male, I'm paying half the price of the "cheaper" useable device I found here for a twice more powerful machine.

But I'm still "liquified" because I spent the Xmas' money on the freaking thing. (sigh).

16 minutes ago, richfiles said:

Hurry up and wait...

I will have to submit myself to a UHD 630 APU. And I need to thankful to manage to get at least this crap - GPU prices are insane around here, a crappy GTX 1030 is costing the same as a entry level computer. I could buy a freaking professional Workstation with smoking Quadro last year by the price they are asking by a GTX 3060. I almost had a heart attach when I checked the price for a 3090.

— — — 

And, just to make things even "better"… I had to extract 3 teeth today. This is what the last year pandemics taxed me, I was on the middle on a dental treatment when this crap blowed up the Civilisation as we knew it. Besides the fact itself and the pain, I had to spend some more serious money on this (I hope the health insurance will cover it, I just contracted it)

There's one highway open and people are in a hurry pass and go... where? There's more traffic ahead, dumbS. Driving at night, in the rain, with headlight in my face, and then this?I really didn't need more adrenaline...

Is there a way the glare in this video can be reduced to hopefully resolve individual headlights better or from farther away? Probably saturated sensor, but I can hope... It's hard to see much in the glare....

That was the first noteworthy capture today. This morning there was also a stale red light runner (by about a full second) and this afternoon a highway cleanup worker almost getting hit by a speeder.  It was crazy out there!

Small wonderthe #7 is being closed to regular traffic agin this evening, back to emergency and essential services only. Essential workers (healthcare, education, etc) are expected to be bussed through.

On 11/23/2021 at 11:04 PM, Lisias said:

And, just to make things even "better"… I had to extract 3 teeth today. This is what the last year pandemics taxed me, I was on the middle on a dental treatment when this crap blowed up the Civilisation as we knew it. Besides the fact itself and the pain, I had to spend some more serious money on this (I hope the health insurance will cover it, I just contracted it)

Ah, so that's a segue to this week's story.

90-year-old woman with cancer leaves a suicide note, then successfully performs paracentesis on herself with a kitchen knife.

Why? Well, it's a murky story, but she was checked out of hospital after she was found COVID-positive but asymptomatic, and never checked into the designated surgery center for COVID-positives. Children say she had a second test that was negative, so between that and the utter improbability of a survivor of Siege of Leningrad with cancer experiencing COVID asymptomatically, they decided she was negative - but is definitely going to get infected and die if admitted to a ward filled with infected patients, and she wouldn't be admitted anywhere else. What little official comment there has been insists that she was retested twice and both were positive, and has been tested after emergency admission again, and is again positive (and when the responding EMT techie originally broke the story, she outright dismissed the patient's family as COVID deniers).

One tough babushka.

https://www.fontanka.ru/2021/11/23/70271963/