Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Oh wow. Some friends are on holidays at a wedding in Mexico. Three hours ago, the resort staff (Bahia Principe, outside Cancun; same resort we went to a few years ago) went on strike because they hadn't been paid. The restaurants shut down one by one, so there's no food being served, just booze.  They're rationing their bag of popcorn. Reports are that no one is allowed to leave, and only returning day trips are allowed in

Dang. How's their Spanish?

22 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Joke for Americans: A fascist, a coward, and a corpse walk into a bar. Who do you vote for?

The guy in the corner.(he's probably more qualified)

If we are getting philosophical, the coward(depending on what they are a coward to) would be the best choice, if the government fears the people then it will make the decisions based on what is best for the people not the government. Although you still do need a strong leader or else a gang might overthrow the government.

Edited by Ryaja

2 hours ago, Ryaja said:

if the government fears the people then it will make the decisions based on what is best for the people not the government.

It will try to decrease the people abilities to scare them.

2 hours ago, Ryaja said:

Although you still do need a strong leader or else a gang might overthrow the government.

Any leader is just a representative of a crowd of people.

A frontman.

Even if he can remove anyone from that crowd.

And the crowd is not from next door.

Edited by kerbiloid

12 hours ago, Ryaja said:

The guy in the corner.(he's probably more qualified)

If we are getting philosophical, the coward(depending on what they are a coward to) would be the best choice, if the government fears the people then it will make the decisions based on what is best for the people not the government. Although you still do need a strong leader or else a gang might overthrow the government.

I probably shouldn’t get real on this joke.

Edited by Pthigrivi

Im really hating my internet right now. I was turning onto 16L at KSEA when my screen goes black. I look up trying to see what is going on and my cable modem is resetting. I have no internet right now (gotta love mobile) so i have NO atc of any kind, no real world live weather data. No real idea of when my internet is going to return. I pay good money for internet/cable and it does this? what?! 

As to the question above there is no good answer. Dancing as close as i can to the line as safely or comfortably so: the system is a broken corrupted farcical shadow of what it was intended to be. Id vote the corpse because at least the corpse is not going to fiddle us into the night.

As i finish typing my internets back so at least i have my live weather back. Hopefully this holds until i land at klax

Edited by AlamoVampire

I have finally started building my desk to accomodate my Kerbal Instrument Panel. I say building, rather than modifying, cause I keep building new bits rather than reuse the old parts of my old desk. The main wood slab is pine, I'd rather have oak. That leg is literally constructed of common 2x4s, naw, I'll just redo it in oak. The desk is split now, guess I gotta entirely redo the under frame structure... I have decided to name my desk, the Desk of Theseus. :D

The complaint... Have y'all seen the price of wood these days! It's insane!

I bought a pair of oak beams... Mind you, these are just "5/4 x 6" beams... I put that in quotes for a reason... It was $45 each! Worst, was the store only had them in 8 foot lengths, and I only need around 5.5 feet, so I couldn't just cut one in half either... TWO PLANKS cost me $90!!! It's crazy!!! That said, My old desk was built 22 years ago, literally from pine construction lumber and plywood. Only "finished" parts were the actual desk surface, the top shelf, and the keyboard tray. It worked just fine, but it was beyond utilitarian. It was designed to support three CRT monitors, and was never intended to look "good"... it was functional. This desk is being designed with the same overall structure and size, but I'm trying to make it "pretty" this time. Part of that is going with oak, and actually staining it, this time. I'm also going out of my way to use proper finished panels and planks for all aspects of the build, not just the surfaces.

As for my second complaint... I utterly hate the stupid "nominal" fractional measurement system that US lumber is sold under... It's BAD ENOUGH that I'm buying stuff marked Using any fractional system at all... but NONE OF THE LABELED MEASUREMENTS ARE ACCURATE!!!
That "5/4 x 6 x 8" beam I mentioned above is REALLY a 1 x 5.5 inch beam... that is 8 feet long... the inches are inflated, but the length in feet is accurate...
If I get a 2 x 4, it actually measures 1.5 x 3.5 inches.
A 1 x 4, that is actually 3/4 x 3.5
A 1/2 x 3... that's actually 3/8 x  2.5
Guess what a 1/4 x 2 is... It's 1/4 x 1.5!!!
That's right, they literally stop with the nominal vs actual measurements when they get to 1/4 inch, but then they start to MIX nominal and actual measurements together within the same units!!!
And they always mix nominal vs actual units when dealing in plank thickness x width vs length.
But finished slabs are the exception. Those use actual for both length and width, but nominal for thickness...

It's a sea of indecipherable fractional values within a sea of mixed real actual and FAKE nominal values, but all because they show somewhere on a label or tag or stamp, or have logged it with some bureaucratic standard, what the actual values are, this has just become the defacto industry standard in the US lumber industry, and I HATE IT!!!

I normally convert to metric for convenience, but I left these values as is, to convey the utter confusion they manifest... I apologize for such cruelty. :confused:

The seeming reason for all this contrivance, is that the boards tend to be rough cut at the listed actual dimension, but this happens when the wood is still wet, typically at 26-28% moisture content. after the cut, they are kiln dried to 12-15% for construction grade lumber (your typical 2x4 type stuff), and 8-10% for cabinet grade lumber... this is more or less consistent with average humidity in the region, and thus more size stable. After drying, they then finish the planks to the actual dimensions. The industry has just settled on not fully drying construction lumber (to save cost), and not giving themselves enough over-cut to accommodate the shrinkage to achieve matched nominal vs actual sizes. Instead, they settled on undersizing as standard. It's so annoying...

You can find my desk's build progress on my Kerbal Instrument Panel thread, if you want to witness me navigate this utter insanity!

Edited by richfiles

Im really wanting to scream right now! I was trying to fly from KSEA to KLAX. On my taxi to 16L my internet derped out (either random reboot by the provider or storm related ((storm rolled through during the flight)) im not sure as at that point it was still west of me) so my atc was glitched out. Ok no biggie i have my flight plan and my pay-ware 737 can manage. So for 2 hours and change im doin fine. Im nearing LA and im now 5-10nm from turning base to 24R at LAX and at 3000 feet, flaps 30 and gear down. I had MAYBE 10 minutes before im on the ground. Bye bye power! Now its windy af and my tree is waging a wind driven war on my roof…. Would i be wrong to just scream until i physically cannot make a sound?

• 2 weeks later...

Elon Musk's SpaceX hires 14-year-old whizz kid as a software engineer at Starlink

https://www.thenationalnews.com/business/technology/2023/06/16/elon-musks-spacex-hires-14-year-old-whizz-kid-as-a-software-engineer-at-starlink/

Exactly what one needs to do to get hired as "Engineer" nowadays? :confused:

(the kid graduated, at least. but… still…)

Edited by Lisias
but still...

4 hours ago, Lisias said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kairan_Quazi

Reincarnation exists.

That's what happens when the soul of an engineer reincarnates in a kid body, and saves its adult memories and expertise.

After skipping the school and passing the university exams, it returns back to work.

P.S.
Maybe, he remembers Gandhi, Kennedy, and other guys.
Probably, he even watched the Apollo launches. Or even Laika.
After all, we don't know, where he originates from in his previous life, when he became engineer.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 6/18/2023 at 12:58 AM, Lisias said:

Elon Musk's SpaceX hires 14-year-old whizz kid as a software engineer at Starlink

https://www.thenationalnews.com/business/technology/2023/06/16/elon-musks-spacex-hires-14-year-old-whizz-kid-as-a-software-engineer-at-starlink/

Said kid can't be a P.E.  And they're off to work for Musk.  That will be enough to crush anything good and bright within them.

Edited by Jacke

19 hours ago, Lisias said:

That's cool and all, but when I see a story about 14-year-old who has graduated college, I think that's like a vegan cat. Somebody else is making the decisions there.

15 hours ago, Jacke said:

Said kind can't be a P.E.  And they're off to work for Musk.  That will be enough to crush anything good and bright within them.

What Musk intend to do is his problem (this dude is not saint, but he's not stupid neither) - from the human point of view, I know that 14 years old kids don't have yet the maturity to withstand a full time engineering job. He will be shielded, and so ended up being spoiled by lack of honest feedback, or the kid will be crushed by the job demands.

You can't expect team mates to fulfil parental tasks - as educating the kid.

There's a reason kids are not allowed to drive cars, contract loans et all. 

14 hours ago, TheSaint said:

That's cool and all, but when I see a story about 14-year-old who has graduated college, I think that's like a vegan cat. Somebody else is making the decisions there.

And, as the cat, the kid is not going to have his best interests attended.

Edited by Lisias
Tyop! Surprised?

2 hours ago, TheSaint said:

The well-publicised story of Alisa Teplyakova (accepted to a bachelor of psychology program at age 9) is very, very illustrative here. She failed one of her early exams, ran away crying, and her dad proceeded to rough up the staff. Unfortunately the story is still developing, apparently Alisa is currently enrolled into anywhere between two and five universities, with her dad boasting that she's gone through 40 exams. He's making a similar push with her junior brother Heimdall (typical Belarusian name, natch). And these are just two of their seven kids.

5 hours ago, DDE said:

her junior brother Heimdall

5 hours ago, DDE said:

And these are just two of their seven kids.

Asgard.

Btw, as Heimdall's dad is Odin, so it's probably who is Alisa dad is.
This in turn, makes to recall that Heimdall had nine moms

Spoiler
Name Meaning Notes
Angeyja Meaning obscure. Proposed etymologies yield 'the harasser', 'bark', and 'those of the narrow island'.[6]  
Atla 'The argumentative one'[7] or 'the hefty'/'the forceful'[8] Name appears listed among jötnar in the Nafnaþulur'[7]
Eistla Meaning obscure. Suggestions include 'the stormy one' (from eisa, meaning 'hurry'), to a potential a sea god (from eista 'netherss', in other words, 'the swollen, swelling ones'), and 'the glowing one' (from eisa 'glowing ash, fire').[9]  
Eyrgjafa Possibly 'sand donor' or Ørgjafa 'scar donor'[10]  
Gjálp Possibly 'seeress' or 'roaring one'[11] The name Gjálp appears frequently for jötnar in the Old Norse corpus. Gjálp and Greip appear together as names of the daughters of the jötunn Geirröðr in Skáldskaparmál . Gjálp attempted to kill Thor by causing a river to swell.[12]
Greip 'Grasp'[13] Gjálp and Greip appear together as names of the daughters of the jötunn Geirröðr in Skáldskaparmál.[14]
Imðr or Imð Possibly related to íma 'wolf'.[15]  
Járnsaxa 'The one with the iron knife'[16] Name appears listed among the jötnar in the Nafnaþulur and the name refers to an apparently separate figure with whom the god Thor mothered Magni[16]
Ulfrún 'Wolf rune' or 'wolf-woman'[17] Occurs as an Old Norse female personal name.[17]

, so there is probably a plenty of other ingenious kids in Moscow.

Just realized.

The whole idea of Starlink is to launch tens of thousands of satd, and to hide several Vol-de-Musk horcruxes among them.

Starship-and-Mars is the same.

Also, think, why did he name his electric company Tesla? The ligtning towers are on the table, too.

Edited by kerbiloid

Tried a new restaurant today.  Chicken tender place.  Had high hopes because it was very similar to Zaxby's (which is practically next door).

They straight up forgot to make 2/3rds of our order and we had to point it out to them.  We were the only ones there.

Good thing Zaxby's is right next door...

• 2 weeks later...

Im so angry. The last 12 hours are the most crystal clear sign ive angered an elder god. 

1. i have been summoned to jury duty. I abhor it. Ill do it, but i abhor it.

2. Im hungry. I just wanted a double croissanwich with sausage and bacon. The FIRST burger king or for the aussies hungry jack i go to: google says OPEN. Bk.com says they are OPEN, their OWN BUILDINGS HOUR PLACARD SAYS THEY ARE BLOODY OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sit at order box in drive thru 5 FULL MINUTES. Nothing. Pull to window: store has NOT ONE BLOODY PERSON IN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. I drag my now IRRITATED self to another bk. I CLEARLY order a DOUBLE CROISSANWICH WITH BACON AND SAUSAGE. Do I get that????? NOPE! I get a sad croissanwich with just bloody bacon and cheese!!!!!! SO i flip my lid. I scream and scare the hell out of my poor cat. I rush out to my car. Find the receipt and they bloody charged me for a medium hashbrown and that sad pathetic garbage croissanwich so they TECHNICALLY cant do crap about it.

:mad::mad::mad:

Edited by AlamoVampire