Air speed record

So this is a challenge to see who can go the fastest in the atmosphere.

Rules

Kerbin only

Stock only but only mods allowed are the build space expantion and kebal engineer and also mecjeb. but keep it as non mods as possible.

No mother ship or decouplers. The decouplers that are land connected directly (forgot what they are called) allowed.

Submit the craft pics, accelaration, weight and top speed as well as altitude. (Done in 10 thousands).

No cheats. I.e in finant fuel, no crash damage, unbreakable joints, no max heat, and no grav changes. Infinant elec allowed.

Has to be able to take off and land any wear by its self.

Also note the amount of parts and the parts used as well as the resources.

Just post what questions you have and i will answer them to the best of my ability.

You may include the craft file if possable.

Have fun!

Edited by Funtimefoxy
just adding something in

If we take your decoupler and land/take off rule at face value, the best way to do this is probably pretty far from what you had in mind. It's easy to do staging without decouplers. Get an ion craft in a highly elliptical orbit, accelerate for tens of hours, and barely dip into the atmosphere. Then decelerate for tens of hours and parachute back down on Kerbin. 

But it seems you meant to say that the ship needs to be 100% reusable, and can land and then take off from most places ("anywhere" would be ridiculous, good luck landing in the middle of a cliff face). The best ships for the latter interpretations of your rules would be a high dV SSTO, probably with ISRU as well. Take off from Kerbin, refuel on Minmus, accelerate hard towards Kerbin, barely dip into the atmosphere, decelerate and take a bunch of aerobraking passes before landing.

But your "Kerbin only" rule is ambiguous. If you meant that you can't leave Kerbin's atmosphere instead of just the speed record has to be set on Kerbin, the best ship will be a huge rocket SSTO with lots of dV that will accelerate a ton perpendicular to Kerbin at 69km, and then do a breaking burn so that it doesn't leave the atmosphere before gliding back down.

Edited by bayesian_acolyte

to clarify the decouplers I am talking about are the launch stability ones.

and it has to be in te kerbin atmosphear as in the craft has to be in te air of kerbin.

actualy just thinking about it landing anywhere means anywhere. even a clift face.

and with the braking burn I prefer usin jet engines that way you are limiting yourself to the atmosphere and it kindof acts like a cheack valve too.

Edited by Funtimefoxy

So, if I summarise, the challenge is about building a craft that has to be able to take off and land by it's own, without decouplers, while trying to reach maximum speed at an altitude where jet engines work (so <15km).

Tell me if I'm wrong 

But are you allowed to use rocket engines or is it jet only ? That would make a big difference. And do you include Rapiers ? If so, both modes or only air breathing ?

yes what you have summarised is exactly what I want you guys to do. I will allow rocket engines but you cant go out of kerbins atmosphere (the area that jet engines can work in). and the only couplers allowed are the launch stability ones. ya know the ones that the rockets use to help keep straight. and you can also take off an land on the rocket pad ass well.

in fact I will also allow infinante fuel as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.