Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit - Dev Thread

benjee10

56 minutes ago, PeshBuilds said:

Hope you resolve your problems. Also bye the way the wings are stuck together and so are the flaps making it unusable.

Oops, forgot to mention that B9 part switch is a dependency. This is probably the cause of this problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting back to working on this slowly. Some progress on the IVA:

Screen_Shot_2019-05-28_at_22.36.26.png

Screen_Shot_2019-05-28_at_22.36.15.png

Screen_Shot_2019-05-28_at_22.36.04.png

There will likely be a couple of different versions down the line to support MAS/RPM and a more realistic control layout (with more functional switches) but this will be a lot of work.

1 minute ago, benjee10 said:

Getting back to working on this slowly. Some progress on the IVA:

Screen_Shot_2019-05-28_at_22.36.26.png

Screen_Shot_2019-05-28_at_22.36.15.png

Screen_Shot_2019-05-28_at_22.36.04.png

There will likely be a couple of different versions down the line to support MAS/RPM and a more realistic control layout (with more functional switches) but this will be a lot of work.

Man, i love this!!!

Edited by KSPFanatic102

I have some suggestion :

1.The shuttle weight is too light. Compare with cormorant aeronology space shuttle with about 44 ton(including main 3 engine), your shuttle have only 24 ton. It can be easily launch to high orbit or even to mun. Real shuttle can't do that.

2.Attach power between body and wing is a little weak. It is easily broke wings event falling speed was under 10m/s.

3.Center of mass should located at the middle of shuttle. You should put more mass to the front  of shuttle.

Maybe you had already fix that, or maybe you think that is the best way. No matter what, just keep going. You have really done a great job.

(P.S. I am not English speaker, please forgive me any misuse word.)

2 hours ago, rogerwang86 said:

I have some suggestion :

1.The shuttle weight is too light. Compare with cormorant aeronology space shuttle with about 44 ton(including main 3 engine), your shuttle have only 24 ton. It can be easily launch to high orbit or even to mun. Real shuttle can't do that.

2.Attach power between body and wing is a little weak. It is easily broke wings event falling speed was under 10m/s.

3.Center of mass should located at the middle of shuttle. You should put more mass to the front  of shuttle.

Maybe you had already fix that, or maybe you think that is the best way. No matter what, just keep going. You have really done a great job.

1. Yes, it`s a little bit too light.

2. You can use autostruts or KJR.

3. CoM does not to be in the middle of the shuttle. It`s related to the CoL. For me I made a testflight today and reentry and landing works very well. No need to change something in the mass allocation.

I have some suggestion :

Just to pick up on your first point, Cormorant is balanced for a stock scale system so is significantly underpowered compared to stock parts of the same size. This shuttle is balanced for a 2.5x system (as stock parts are) so will perform more realistically in that scenario. 

2 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

1. Yes, it`s a little bit too light.

2. You can use autostruts or KJR.

3. CoM does not to be in the middle of the shuttle. It`s related to the CoL. For me I made a testflight today and reentry and landing works very well. No need to change something in the mass allocation.

2 hours ago, benjee10 said:

Just to pick up on your first point, Cormorant is balanced for a stock scale system so is significantly underpowered compared to stock parts of the same size. This shuttle is balanced for a 2.5x system (as stock parts are) so will perform more realistically in that scenario. 

Does 2.5x system be able to work on game version 1.6.1 or 1.7.1? I can try this mod. Thanks for your reply.<3

Does 2.5x system be able to work on game version 1.6.1 or 1.7.1? I can try this mod. Thanks for your reply.<3

Yes! The latest version of Sigma Dimensions works fine with 1.6.1+ along with Rescale! configs

Updates on the IVA - I think it look pretty cozy in there:

Screen_Shot_2019-05-29_at_23.48.38.png

Screen_Shot_2019-05-29_at_23.49.03.png

Screen_Shot_2019-05-29_at_23.48.47.png

The MFDs will end up with a different display on each one (and with MAS installed will be functional further down the line). 

Aft flight deck (is gonna get a translational hand controller as well as some more detailing around the windows):

Screen_Shot_2019-05-29_at_23.50.36.png

Docking in IVA mode is great fun. I'm going to add some more clickable cameras to make it even easier (including some mounted externally looking into the payload bay). Plenty of props etc. to come too. 

Edited by benjee10

5 hours ago, davidy12 said:

Wait, does rescale work for 1.7?

I use rescale 2.5x in 1.7.0 and it works fine. For 1.7.1 you’ll need Kopernicus to update first though (but that should be soon)

ps great work on the shuttle! Super hyped for when it’s done and ready (but take your time, I can wait!)

If I may suggest something - if you're going to do the split-rudder airbrake, split the vertical stabilizer and the two halves of the rudder into 3 separate parts, so that it can be easily made FAR compatible.

4 hours ago, m4ti140 said:

If I may suggest something - if you're going to do the split-rudder airbrake, split the vertical stabilizer and the two halves of the rudder into 3 separate parts, so that it can be easily made FAR compatible.

Currently the rudder is a single piece but I will look into the feasibility of splitting it up without requiring to much remodelling/texturing. 

The stock IVA is now finished enough that I'm putting it up on the GitHub for testing, along with a new addition, the Orbiter Docking System:

IVA_1.jpg

IVA_2.jpg

IVA_3.jpg

ODS_1.jpg

GITHUB LINK

This release is designed for 1.7.1, so while we wait for Kopernicus to update feel free to take the shuttle on a hearty jaunt to Kerbin's nearest celestial body. 

mun_4.png

Fabulous. :D

Took her up for a de-orbit test on a fresh install (without Atmosphere Autopilot and Trajectories) after buying Breaking Ground and still managed to wobble down for a splash landing off the coast of KSC.

Just out of interest are the SSME's missing or are we supposed to use the stock ones?

I only have one suggested improvement for IVA.

1) Would it be possible to put a radar altimeter next to the speed readout. I land shuttles in IVA view and having to look down and zoom in to see how long it is before I crash is annoying.

Pity stock IVA doesn't include a HUD because it would really be handy to have. Kerbal Flight Indicators will have to suffice.

I'm looking forward to flying the finished version.

Great Work :cool:

On 6/3/2019 at 1:15 AM, Kalidor said:

Just out of interest are the SSME's missing or are we supposed to use the stock ones?

You can use the stock ones, or if you're using reDIRECT some are included which are patched to use liquid hydrogen. 

Ku-band antenna:

Screen_Shot_2019-06-04_at_22.49.23.png

Screen_Shot_2019-06-04_at_22.49.13.png

Screen_Shot_2019-06-04_at_22.49.08.png

We are now just a couple of parts and a bit of polish away from an initial full release! 

1 minute ago, benjee10 said:

You can use the stock ones, or if you're using reDIRECT some are included which are patched to use liquid hydrogen. 

Ku-band antenna:

Screen_Shot_2019-06-04_at_22.49.23.png

Screen_Shot_2019-06-04_at_22.49.13.png

Screen_Shot_2019-06-04_at_22.49.08.png

We are now just a couple of parts and a bit of polish away from an initial full release! 

That looks great

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.