• Terraforming
    • New planets
    • Life support
    • UI overhaul
    • New space center facility
    • Planet Revamp

3 hours ago, Fraston said:

It would be an update.

No, it's an expansion.  Companies work to make a profit, and that's' how the world is.  Updating the game for life, for free just... wouldn't work.  You wouldn't take your car to a dealership and say "Hey this years model has this neat new feature, please upgrade my car, for free!"

1 hour ago, Renae said:

You wouldn't take your car to a dealership and say "Hey this years model has this neat new feature, please upgrade my car, for free!"

Getting the current-year model for free is more or less what Squad is giving us with vanilla updates. They're only charging for major extensions to gameplay. So if we're following this analogy we can still have this years model free, but if we want it to fly we have to pay for it. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

I'mma throw in something I had posted in a different thread, that belongs here more than it did there.

1. A Visitor Complex
To actually make the arguably useless reputation actually mean something, let's make a Visitor Complex! Much like a real world complex, KSP's complex would take Funds to run, and it would generate Funds and Rep in return. While this does sound like a new strategy for the Administration Building, the Visitor Complex would be much, much more in-depth than just some flavor text and a slider with some number values. The Visitor Complex would have a set number of Visitors/Tourists that can be in the complex. They'd well, visit said complex, pay admission, and maybe buy things from a gift shop or do other tourist activities. It would also have a set number of Exhibits- Artifacts, models, interactive experiments, etc.- from some of your launches that you deem important or significant (The player has full control over what is deemed worthy enough to be an Exhibit, via the use of a check-mark box at the end of a flight menu). Generally, the Exhibits would be from important events in the Space Program's history, whether it be the first launch, the first orbit, or the first landing on another planet. The more significant the exhibit, the more people who will visit it.  Now it does function like a strategy, i.e. you can only put so much money into it at first, before you have to upgrade it, but the more money you put into it, generally more Kerbals will have a better time there. Happy Kerbals=Reputation increase. The higher you level up the complex, the more things you can have at it- and I'm not talking about just Exhibits-tour buses, Camp programs, etc. Maybe an option to water down some of this via a difficulty setting if it isn't your style.

2. Make Part Manufacturers actually mean something

Right about now, the Part Manufacturers are just a silly name with a logo you can use as your ship's flag. While that might be good for some, I do think that theyshould actually mean something, and it would be based off of everyone's favorite statistic- Reputation! Effectively, the higher your reputation, the more manufacturers would let you use their parts on your rocket. Some have higher standards than others, and some (namely Jeb's Junkyard) don't care at all (as that would make sense, considering Jeb is an astronaut).  Perhaps include a mechanic where manufacturers might have price hikes or price drops, either due to a shortage in materials or due to a surplus.

1 hour ago, JammedDiskDrive said:

Perhaps include a mechanic where manufacturers might have price hikes or price drops, either due to a shortage in materials or due to a surplus

I like this idea. Also doing their contracts could affect this. Rep per manufacturer?

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

I like this idea. Also doing their contracts could affect this. Rep per manufacturer?

Rep per manufacturer would be good, yeah. Doing manufacturer-specific contracts would help raise rep with them too. However, if you fail a manufacturer specific contract, your overall rep goes down as normal, but your reputation with the manufacturer goes down much, much more than your overall rep.

22 hours ago, JammedDiskDrive said:

1. A Visitor Complex
To actually make the arguably useless reputation actually mean something, let's make a Visitor Complex! Much like a real world complex, KSP's complex would take Funds to run, and it would generate Funds and Rep in return. While this does sound like a new strategy for the Administration Building, the Visitor Complex would be much, much more in-depth than just some flavor text and a slider with some number values. The Visitor Complex would have a set number of Visitors/Tourists that can be in the complex. They'd well, visit said complex, pay admission, and maybe buy things from a gift shop or do other tourist activities. It would also have a set number of Exhibits- Artifacts, models, interactive experiments, etc.- from some of your launches that you deem important or significant (The player has full control over what is deemed worthy enough to be an Exhibit, via the use of a check-mark box at the end of a flight menu). Generally, the Exhibits would be from important events in the Space Program's history, whether it be the first launch, the first orbit, or the first landing on another planet. The more significant the exhibit, the more people who will visit it.  Now it does function like a strategy, i.e. you can only put so much money into it at first, before you have to upgrade it, but the more money you put into it, generally more Kerbals will have a better time there. Happy Kerbals=Reputation increase. The higher you level up the complex, the more things you can have at it- and I'm not talking about just Exhibits-tour buses, Camp programs, etc. Maybe an option to water down some of this via a difficulty setting if it isn't your style.

This seems like it would go well with the new Breaking Surface Breaking Ground DLC.

Edited by Bej Kerman
Name correction

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 11:57 AM, JammedDiskDrive said:

Right about now, the Part Manufacturers are just a silly name with a logo you can use as your ship's flag. While that might be good for some, I do think that theyshould actually mean something, and it would be based off of everyone's favorite statistic- Reputation! Effectively, the higher your reputation, the more manufacturers would let you use their parts on your rocket. Some have higher standards than others, and some (namely Jeb's Junkyard) don't care at all (as that would make sense, considering Jeb is an astronaut).  Perhaps include a mechanic where manufacturers might have price hikes or price drops, either due to a shortage in materials or due to a surplus.

That would be amazing to have, and to add to that, maybe Manufacturers could have factories that, when you crash stuff into them, you lose reputation with that Manufacturer.

3 minutes ago, Xurkitree said:

This sort of thing is half implemented in ksp already just read the manufacturers config.

Here's the thing, that's only contracts, not the parts themselves. If it was the parts themselves then it'd be a lot more in-depth, but if you didn't want it it'd probably just be a difficulty option.

Its June already, and there's not a single piece of new about 1.8 at all. 

I know most of the time went into Breaking Ground, but i really wanted to know what improvements were going to be made for 1.8

But now it looks like as if aside from some minor part revamps they probably have in storage, 1.8 will be the major bug fixing update for KSP to solve the bugs created by Breaking Ground.

On 6/2/2019 at 4:03 PM, Xurkitree said:

Its June already, and there's not a single piece of new about 1.8 at all. 

I know most of the time went into Breaking Ground, but i really wanted to know what improvements were going to be made for 1.8

But now it looks like as if aside from some minor part revamps they probably have in storage, 1.8 will be the major bug fixing update for KSP to solve the bugs created by Breaking Ground.

This has happened before. We didn’t receive any news about the 1.7 update until the month before release. I’m sure SQUAD is working on content for the 1.8 update, so we just have to wait for them to post some KSP Loading previews about it, like we did with the last major update.

Springs and plain unsprung wheels (for Breaking Ground), nuclear reactors (heavy, very high electricity output), and stock OPM. 

I just want a stock fuel switch feature. The big cylindrical tanks are useless for nuclear spacecraft because you can only use half of their volume, and the alternative is spamming those little 1.25m tanks everywhere or using the Mk2 or Mk3 tanks that look completely out of place on a spacecraft because they're designed for airplanes.

I think they need a 1.7.2 bug fix update to Breaking Ground before they get to a 1.8 release that should add to the base game. There were a lot of little things changed under the hood that are creating problems in mods and even the base game we don't normally see in a minor version update.

Bug fixes and improved performance are the things I want in the base game as I'm not a purist that insists on stock only. I'm fine with mods for missing features. I'm not really using several of the newer tools like the dV indicators or maneuver node editor. I've been sticking with the tools I had that did the job better, IMO. My biggest problem with the dV indicators is they are in the bottom corner where I don't normally look while flying. I use multiple custom KER HUD panels across the top of my display, so that's where I'm used to looking for information. I played with the maneuver node editor once, and went back to using the one in MechJeb as its something I'm already used to using. The altimeter mode is really the only newish feature I've been using and it's much better implemented than any stock mod had done.

For 1.8 and 1.9 I'd like to see Squad complete their revamps on the engines: the stock Mainsail, T30 and T45 are horrid compared to the rest the engines.

Another thing I'd love to see for 1.8 especially in light of Breaking Ground is pass at mapping and surveying. Some of the dynamics with surface features are really cool its just a bummer players are turning off ground-scatter and looking for shadows rather than having a real system for tracking them down.

On 4/13/2019 at 2:44 AM, klesh said:

Clouds & Atmospherics.

Yeah. Would be nice to have such like wind/turbulences (rather than just random camera wobbles), rain/storm.

Suppose unity has limits though :(.

On 6/18/2019 at 12:41 AM, Spraki said:

Yeah. Would be nice to have such like wind/turbulences (rather than just random camera wobbles), rain/storm.

Suppose unity has limits though :(.

Given how important weather conditions are to real life rocket launches, I want to see a difficulty toggle for simulated weather effects sometime in the next few updates. Not asking for clouds and rain particles, I just want immediately launching after building a craft to be riskier.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.