Questions for 3D modelers: Stockalike Texturing?

Is there a specific set of rules you guys follow when texturing things? I want to texture a little fuel tank for a test of an upcoming mod, but I can't exactly get that perfect "stockalike" feel. I've seen some really nice crisp texturing recently, and if I could master this I could start a full mod. 

I've found some nice free textures online for reflective surfaces and the like, but I want to be able to reproduce the same texture that Squad has. I have taken some color samples and texture samples from Squad's stuff, but I don't want to use that, I just want to replicate it as best I can. 

Thanks in advance guys & gals. 

-Budding modder

[MOD - Moved to Modelling and Texturing Discussion subforums, and renamed thread title for clarity]

I've only casually dabbled with stockalike texturing for my own SDHI SMS mod, but here's what worked for me:

• SQUAD provides the PartTools library for Unity, which includes KSP-specific part shaders to help you get the right amount of lighting and reflective effects on your models
  • As for textures, it's more of a trial-and-error process, but I frequently import the DDS files in Photoshop and take color samples with the eyedropper tool
  • Doing ambient occlusion (AO) texture bakes helps give parts better definition by highlighting edges and shadows

8 hours ago, sumghai said:

[MOD - Moved to Modelling and Texturing Discussion subforums, and renamed thread title for clarity]

I've only casually dabbled with stockalike texturing for my own SDHI SMS mod, but here's what worked for me:

• SQUAD provides the PartTools library for Unity, which includes KSP-specific part shaders to help you get the right amount of lighting and reflective effects on your models
  • As for textures, it's more of a trial-and-error process, but I frequently import the DDS files in Photoshop and take color samples with the eyedropper tool
  • Doing ambient occlusion (AO) texture bakes helps give parts better definition by highlighting edges and shadows

Thanks for moving it. I didn't even realize this subforum existed! :sticktongue:

Thanks for the help, I'll check that out! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.