what do the dish antennas in the tracking station facility track?

alien_wind

4 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Nope. They pick a point at random, track it for a while, and then pick a new point. It's all for show.

Not true.   They follow the Nyan cat on people's loading screens across the world.   ;)

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, alien_wind said:

did people find it in the source code?

This is all really old memories but I recall someone asking when the dishes were first put in the game and that was the answer by the devs. Or maybe the devs just said so outright, perhaps in a dev diary.

The part I remember for sure is that a dev said it.

I just wish the other DSN stations had colliders and could explode.

1 hour ago, HansonKerman said:

Just for show, although you can explode each dish individually. It only becomes nonfunctional if you destroy the Hub tho. Maybe Squad could add dish destruction penalty.

7 hours ago, Loskene said:

They do have colliders and you can splat yourself on them, but yeah they don't explode.

Well hot diggety, you're right! I wonder when that was implemented. I know I can't be the only one who tried when commnet was implemented and was disappointed that you would fly right through them.

zibDb5u.jpg

9 hours ago, ExtremeSquared said:

Well hot diggety, you're right! I wonder when that was implemented. I know I can't be the only one who tried when commnet was implemented and was disappointed that you would fly right through them.

No idea, I only found out when I saw (the outtakes from) a cupcake video flying through the gaps maybe a year ago.

On 4/29/2019 at 8:38 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

And when they're not tracking nyan cat, they're trackin' yo' momma!

If they were tracking yo'mamma they'd point in divergent directions.

2 minutes ago, Dan Kerman said:

Don't they track asteroids?

The tracking station itself can be used to track asteroids, but I don't think the dishes themselves do. I'm pretty sure they do what others have said above...pick a random point and track it for a while, then find another point and so on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.