Flying Rockets and losing control in 1.7.0 stock

I have noticed since the update to 1.7.0 that my designs and stock ships, at every launch with SAS engaged around 3500-5000 meters that the ship starts drift left or right off course and becomes uncontrollable. it doesn't matter if I change the fuel flow or make it not top heavy, I get the same results every time. and these designs I have used for the last couple of years and they worked without error.

is anyone else having this problem?

Edited by Patriot9330

2 hours ago, Patriot9330 said:

I have noticed since the update to 1.7.0 that my designs and stock ships, at every launch with SAS engaged around 3500-5000 meters that the ship starts drift left or right off course and becomes uncontrollable. it doesn't matter if I change the fuel flow or make it not top heavy, I get the same results every time. and these designs I have used for the last couple of years and they worked without error.

is anyone else having this problem?

I reinstalled Kerbal Space Program in 1.7.0 and ran stock game, and tested a stock ship and the same thing keeps happening. the ship gets around 3500-5000 meters and starts to drift off and I lose complete control. So I reinstalled Kerbal Space Program again but this time I ran 1.6.1 with the same ship and flew without any error.

Can you specify which stock craft(s) had this problem? I think I had a similar issue with custom crafts.

I started a new science mode and tried launching a simple Sputnik (I haven't tried the stock craft). I gave up after several attempts and re-designs because of the problem you mentioned, and I consider myself an experienced player. This would no doubt be frustrating to new players who try using the Stayputnik.

I think the issue in my case was drag at the top of the ship, where the radial size went from "tiny" to "small". Any small deflection would result in a large torque. The preferred orientation when falling was retrograde. If this was the issue, it makes sense that my manned crafts didn't have this problem. Fairings or an adapter would probably fix this, but they're unlocked much later in the tech tree. Slower ascent might also help. I had Aerodynamics quality set to "Low", which might play a role.

3 minutes ago, Electrollama said:

Can you specify which stock craft(s) had this problem? I think I had a similar issue with custom crafts.

I started a new science mode and tried launching a simple Sputnik (I haven't tried the stock craft). I gave up after several attempts and re-designs because of the problem you mentioned, and I consider myself an experienced player. This would no doubt be frustrating to new players who try using the Stayputnik.

I think the issue in my case was drag at the top of the ship, where the radial size went from "tiny" to "small". Any small deflection would result in a large torque. The preferred orientation when falling was retrograde. If this was the issue, it makes sense that my manned crafts didn't have this problem. Fairings or an adapter would probably fix this, but they're unlocked much later in the tech tree. Slower ascent might also help. I had Aerodynamics quality set to "Low", which might play a role.

I tried several of the stock ships including the Science Jr and Kerbal X and some of my own designs that I know works every time. And the same thing happens in 1.7.0, I start to drift and lose control. I was planning looking into the Aerodynamics settings as well once I get time. I have no idea what could of changed between 1.6 and 1.7

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.