New space center facility?

5 hours ago, Aeroboi said:

A 270° <> 90° runway. Polar launches using SSTO's should be doable.

I thin you mean 0-180, but I get your point.  

But I don't understand needing a N/S runway to do polar launches or recoveries. 

You can take off with your plane, heading east, then easily turn north, and then accelerate to orbit.  

And landing isn't the hard part of a polar orbit, it's landing in the right spot.   On an equitorial orbit, you just have to wait till your in the right spot E/W to do your de orbit burn, and then you can correct a bit once you hit atmo to land on the runway.   But on polar orbit, You have to wait for both your N/S position along your orbital path, but you also have to wait for the orbit to pass over the KSC, and these both have to happen at the same time.  If you get these two things lined up, then turning a plane to land on the runway is trivial. 

I'm not saying I don't want a N/S runway, I think it would be cool, although for me, I think a 30/210 runway would be more aesthetically pleasing.  I've just seen a few people (more than just you that I have quoted, @Aeroboi) saying it would be required to do polar launches, when it is not really even a factor. 

Edited by Gargamel
Can't do math

On 4/19/2019 at 6:28 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Are you sure?  Think about how difficult it was to get the current runway working as well as it does (no terrain seams, no hidden bumps, etc).

For those that maybe haven't seen it...

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/developerarticles.html/who-needs-a-level-runway-anyway-r204/

Edited by klesh

22 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I thin you mean 0-180, but I get your point.  

But I don't understand needing a N/S runway to do polar launches or recoveries. 

You can take off with your plane, heading east, then easily turn north, and then accelerate to orbit.  

And landing isn't the hard part of a polar orbit, it's landing in the right spot.   On an equitorial orbit, you just have to wait till your in the right spot E/W to do your de orbit burn, and then you can correct a bit once you hit atmo to land on the runway.   But on polar orbit, You have to wait for both your N/S position along your orbital path, but you also have to wait for the orbit to pass over the KSC, and these both have to happen at the same time.  If you get these two things lined up, then turning a plane to land on the runway is trivial. 

I'm not saying I don't want a N/S runway, I think it would be cool, although for me, I think a 30/300 runway would be more aesthetically pleasing.  I've just seen a few people (more than just you that I have quoted, @Aeroboi) saying it would be required to do polar launches, when it is not really even a factor. 

0-180 indeed.

There is no need for a N/S runway, it's just easier. Some heavier planes are bulky and slow turning and require active control to turn north or south. It's a bit inconvenient to fly whereas you'd only want to fly runway heading on the 90-270deg runways, therefore I'd like to have a N/S runway. In any case I think it is a good space faring practice to understand Kerbins orbital rotation period to calculate how and where to aerobrake on a N/S runway. Sometimes going to Moho I do a polar launch. Instead of a plane change around Kerbins equator I calculate when to burn over the poles by directly burning through the prograde reticle for optimum usage of Dv. Space planes requiring a polar orbit (is never the case and is never required but optional) would always have to turn after liftoff. Some of mine are bare on thrust and lift to have good Vacuum Dv and it would be hard to turn them to 0-180deg after liftoff and cut on the fuel economy.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love, LOVE, a Visitor Complex of sorts, that you can upgrade with Funds and Science. Having the building(s) be in use would cost Funds, but you'd get profit out of it. Depending on how "active" your agency is (number of launches per week, etc) and how much positive rep you've got, you'd get more visitors, and more visitors means more tickets sold and more sales from the gift shop! Also, even though this isn't a building, I wouldn't mind seeing some activity around KSC, perhaps some astronauts running around the Tracking Station, small vehicles driving around, the grounds crew mowing the KSC's lawns, etc.

also please fix the lv3 administrative building's pool, it does not have any actual water in it

I would like a KXray (pronouced (kreɪ)) Supercomputing Center run by Keymour Kerbin.

Allowing control of remote probes. Initially at level 1 it would allow 1 probe to be remotely controlled at a time.

LEVEL

1.  allows 1 probe to be remotely controlled at a time (one at a time)
  2. allows 5 unmanned probes to be remotely controlled at a time (one at a time)
  3. allows 10 unmanned probes to be remotely controlled at a time (one at a time)
  4. allows 17 unmanned probes to be remotely controlled at a time (one at a time)
  5. allows unlimited unmanned probes to be remotely controlled at a time (one at a time)

IF KOS installed, would allow same unmanned probes to run KOS as if have focus. Signal Delay and so one would be a factor. Probes with EC and KOS processors would continue to function even when not in XSC. Limit of active processors (ships) determined by level of building and amount of installed KRAM. KOS in conjuction with Mission Control, Tracking Station, R&D, and Astronaut Complex (high enough upgraded buildings) allow for KOS to remotely run on Manned missions.

Would also allow for telemetry of sensors.... (stretch) (probe control room)

KXray - Kerbal eXpeRimental AnalYsis Supercomputer

Edited by zer0Kerbal

On 4/20/2019 at 6:17 AM, Aeroboi said:

A 270° <> 90° runway. Polar launches using SSTO's should be doable. The flat KSC complex is big enough it seems.

A shipyard for building marine vessels.

i like tge shipyard idea. tierd of ussing VesselMover, so why not. what about just an road, eye candy but driving on my rover would be cool. tbh a underground launchpad would look coll. just sayyi'.

there should be complete new space centers, not only runways/launchpads

like, one on an island on the middle of the ocean with a big runway, a light launching/landing pad and a bridge that connects another island that has the mission control thing, and all the other facilities 

• 3 weeks later...

Defo a test facility or gamey-fun-to-play-with-and-actually-useful representation thereof.

...Like a vacuum chamber building thingy??? NASA actually has one these in real life.

I don't know about other people, but I very much enjoy building complex missions that actually work the way I intended them too (as opposed to going comically/disastrously wrong). At present, I test each stage of a mission profile by cheating the relevant sub-assembly to the location in the solar system it's intended to operate and then see how it behaves, go back to the VAB, tweak, rinse and repeat. The yawn factor of doing this in any other way just isn't fun in my opinion. Now, aside from having to use the cheat menu (which obviously compromises one's suspension of disbelief), it gets very tedious waiting for the game to load the entire solar system and all my preexisting mission detritus every time I leave the VAB. Furthermore, the satisfaction and sense of wonder when finally completing said mission is pretty much lost because I've effectively already done the mission many times over, all be it in a piecemeal fashion. 

Thus, I propose a vacuum chamber - KSP style.

It would serve as a sandbox for testing the game-world physics on our creations.

In edition to the launch button in the VAB, a 'test' button could load us into another building where the KSP laws of physics are active but nothing else. In this building (the interior of a huumungus pressure vessel with biiiiiiig flood lights), one could set the physical conditions (much like Kerbal Engineer does in the VAB) ie gravity, atmosphere density and composition. We could also set some comical but functional Kerbal style replica terrain, it's slope angle and resource composition - for testing lander stability and mining operations for example. Imagine little Kerbal scientists peering over from behind a replica Duna sand dune making notes on their clipboards while they observe your rover pootling about on some pretend Duna sand etc etc.

I realise, being able to control gravity isn't possible in real life but lets not forget that we're playing a game. In KSP, any such test facility would be a magical vacuum chamber, wind tunnel, neutral buoyancy pool and computer modelling system all rolled into one. IMHO, the value of such a building to quality of life during gameplay, not to mention immersion (only without the tedium of hyper realism), is very large indeed.

Apologies for the essay :-D

Edited by rextable

1. Shipyard.
There is a nice gulf next to KSC.

2. Market.
To exchage funds, resources, and processed scientific data.

3. Academy of Science.
To process the scientific data from raw samples and transmissions from other planets.
To train the Scientists.

4. Garden of Unicorns.
To hire unicorns.

Another vote for shipyard. Who knows what might live under the sea?

I like the idea of a R&D revamp to add gameplay to science spending. It would be cool if you had to actually test new stuff before you knew its performance capabilities too, and that would tie in nicely to providing more relevant contracts.

A testing facility as others have suggested would be cool.

I also feel like a swimming pool/training simulator would be fun for Kerbals to play in.

• 3 months later...

I'd like a "Virtual Reality Simulations" building where I can test fly my crafts ON the planets/in space so that I don't have to waste my time building and then flying to Laythe only to find out that my plane is garbage in the different gravity/atmosphere density.

You could even tie it into science progression. Can't simulate Laythe characteristics if you don't know what they are. Send a probe with all the science devices to Laythe, collect the data, transmit back to KSC and BAM! Now we know how high the atmosphere is, what the gravity is like and more. Laythe is now able to be simulated.

On 4/15/2019 at 12:27 AM, ZooNamedGames said:

-snip-

Engineer's Complex- An online only feature, which would connect to a Squad server, which would allow for users to upload their creations and have others search, browse and download other's creations. Like the Steam Workship met KerbalX. Being built into the game, and made available to all platforms, it would allow for a Steam workship which is available to everyone indiscriminately. If Squad's worried about managing such an endeavor, they can start small and only offer the feature for a small portion of the community and work larger and larger.

Museum/Archive- A place to go back and see your past missions, and more importantly, firsts for your Kerbal career. With the game taking screenshots (automatically without the UI) upon landing on a new planet/moon or entering space/orbit the first time, as well as recording the name of the vessel and providing a little historical record in this building where players can see the first moments in their journey instead of having to take all the screenshots themselves. 

two great Ideas!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.