Notre Dame on Fire

DarkOwl57

Paris' famed Notre Dame cathedral has caught on fire earlier today, and Paris crews are trying to extinguish the blaze. So far, the fire has claimed the spire, and it's unknown if there are any injuries or what was lost so far. More to come as it happens.

4 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

Quite a lot of scaffolding around it. The source of fire possibly coming from the jobsite?

That's the theory I've seen put out most often.  But I think it's a bit early for an absolute determination.

Whew. Looks like they (at least mostly) put it out.

I had visited there a month ago; kind of a shock to see it go up like that.

It's certainly a blessing no one was hurt, though, and great that they were able to save most of the historic structure.

If I remember correctly, the roof was a 18th or 19th century replacement.

Edited by GearsNSuch

Two towers and the primary structure have been saved some photos of the inside are curculating. Also some relics like the crown of thorns and 12 statues were saved. Th stautures we taken down in anticipation for the Reno on Thursday. 

https://heavy.com/news/2019/04/notre-dame-crown-of-thorns-relics/

36 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

I'm to understand it burned for a full 2 hours before firefighters arrived... and then, only 1 sole hose arrived initially.  What's up with that?

Whats the source? That doesnt sound right, most published timelines are quite vague but have quite a lot happening in the first 2 hours. Pretty sure the President himself got there within 2 hours.

23 hours ago, razark said:
23 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Quite a lot of scaffolding around it. The source of fire possibly coming from the jobsite?

That's the theory I've seen put out most often.  But I think it's a bit early for an absolute determination.

There were quite a lot of ember left on the scaffolding's ends... so idk.

But at least it's good to know we can probably replace all that's lost, probably a chance to make it even better prepared.

Edited by YNM

6 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Whats the source? That doesnt sound right, most published timelines are quite vague but have quite a lot happening in the first 2 hours. Pretty sure the President himself got there within 2 hours.

The source was a family member who watched it live on (French) tv online.  I'm told it was 90 minutes before the first fire engine arrived, and for a good while it was only the one elevated boom hose.  In watching the video on YouTube myself, that pretty much is what I'm seeing also.  And, I'll ask, with the Seine river just a few dozen yards/meters away, why was there no fireboat?... do they not have them?

One of the news comments I heard was that firefighters couldn't get to the scene because of the crowds that had gathered.  I find that a poor excuse; Why didn't police handle crowd control under such circumstances?

I was impressed that people got together to form a human chain to move as many valuables from the cathedral as possible.

9 hours ago, LordFerret said:

The source was a family member who watched it live on (French) tv online.  I'm told it was 90 minutes before the first fire engine arrived, and for a good while it was only the one elevated boom hose.  In watching the video on YouTube myself, that pretty much is what I'm seeing also.  And, I'll ask, with the Seine river just a few dozen yards/meters away, why was there no fireboat?... do they not have them?

One of the news comments I heard was that firefighters couldn't get to the scene because of the crowds that had gathered.  I find that a poor excuse; Why didn't police handle crowd control under such circumstances?

I was impressed that people got together to form a human chain to move as many valuables from the cathedral as possible.

Lets hope it was just the early reporting or whatever, you dont always get the whole story on tv on the first day. I havnt heard much else in the way of criticism for the firefighting.

Its possible that there were not many elevated boom hoses as the roof was already lost, maybe water would have brought it down fast? I dunno. 

I dont know about fireboats, but they did have this pretty cool gadget:

https://jalopnik.com/meet-colossus-the-french-firefighting-robot-that-helpe-1834089489

(The title is about helicopters, but the interview itself is more general)

https://translate.google.com.tr/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.bbc.com/russian/features-47946815

Spoiler

What the irony: translating with an English translator from Russian for English readers from Russian to English an interview from Russian section of English news company, made by a Russian reporter with an English expert, when the Russian reporter translated the question in Russian to English for the English expert and then translated the answers from English to Russian for the Russian readers.

Edited by kerbiloid

17 hours ago, LordFerret said:

I'm told it was 90 minutes before the first fire engine arrived, and for a good while it was only the one elevated boom hose.

They knew that there isn't much to be done by extinguishing the exterior roof fire - I think some considerable effort is instead made to retain the limestone vault ceiling structure instead, which was designed in anticipation of a roof fire, and is meant to shield the main rooms / chambers from fires. Hence you don't see them actually extinguishing the roof fire until enough manpower arrives to keep the innards cool.

Edited by YNM

I think that possibly they might have been scared about possibly collapsing what was left of the roof with the hoses, so they had to do it the old-fashioned way. Also, just saw some images and this is crazy stuff. All the windows look relatively intact, the gold cross is still 100% alright, and even the wax on the candles is unburnt. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.