Luna 15 as Seen from Apollo 11 Landing Site

klesh

Hi,

I've watched a ton of footage broadcast from the Moon during the Apollo missions.  I had never seen this particular bit until yesterday; I figured maybe some of you would be interested:

This guy has a pretty good channel, usually covering advanced and obscure WWII history, but occasionally he breaks from that topic and covers other things.  This is a nice video about the race to retrieve moonrocks; well worth a watch from the beginning, and certainly worth checking out for that short but amazing flyover footage.  Had you seen this before?

Yes, the footage is most likely a fake, although the rest of the story is very plausible.

Apollo 11 landed at 0.7 N 23.5 E and Luna 15 crashed at 17 N 60 E, i.e. 1200 km away. Before that, it had been in an orbit of 110x16 km, which seems way too high to catch on a camera anything other than a dot in the sky.

Spoiler

Luna-9 at 01:45 is obviously documentary, just looks at the shadows and the stars.

Luna-10 at 02:20 - too. You can ask the cameraman making the footage,

The astronaut at 05:15 is fake. Some black-and-white silent film with low frame rate
(18 frames per second, iirc, just look at his comic motions). Maybe something from Chaplin's ancestry. Charles', not Oona's.
You need some piano music and cartouches with captions

05:42 Something white is flying above the heads. 
Do they say, it's Luna-15? No, it isn't.
First of all, if should have a big visible caption "Luna-15" "Луна-15". And a red star. It doesn't.
Also it looks like a human figure oriented vertically. It's an astronaut in low orbit.

The photo at 05:49 is true. You can see flames from the engines, as it should be. So, it's not a fake, it's a real photo.

06:08 you see dust clouds spreading from beneath. Every schoolbook can tell you that as there is no air on the Moon, there can't be any clouds.
But they are. So, either it is a fake, or there is air on the Moon.
Currebtly we should refrain from a conclusion.

06:11 A flag.
Fake,
Do you remember they told that the Apollo flags had a hard bar on top, so that's why the flag looks spreaded?
Why this flag isn't?
And as there is no bar, why is it spreaded?
Obviously, it's air. That's why the Apollo flags are actually spreaded and waving.
So, this is an explanation of the dust clouds.
This is filmed in a place with air.

So, either there is air on the Moon and the unknown astronaut with jetpack, or this is a Hollywood fake.

It's not strictly true that you can't get dust clouds on the moon. If you blow the dust into the air with a rocket motor it will fly up as a cloud of sorts. With no air though every particle will follow a ballistic trajectory so it will just settle back down rather than billowing around. The footage there is way too fuzzy to tell.

3 hours ago, Flibble said:

It's not strictly true that you can't get dust clouds on the moon. If you blow the dust into the air with a rocket motor it will fly up as a cloud of sorts. With no air though every particle will follow a ballistic trajectory so it will just settle back down rather than billowing around. The footage there is way too fuzzy to tell.

You can see that on footage of astronauts walking on the moon.  Their boots throw up dust in exactly  the manner you describe.

You can go here to see real Apollo 11 videos. Now that I look at them, I realize that of course the video clip in the OP is fake. Remember the bandwidth for video from Apollo was so limited that it only got 10 frames per second. Anything that moved quickly turned into a smeared ghost image. No way it could capture an image like what is shown in the OP video.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.