The Eve to Tylo Challenge

The goal is simple: take off from Eve and land on Tylo.

The people have spoken and the rules are classic: One kerbal, no command chairs, and lowest mass (at Eve launch) is the goal.

Some other rules:

• You can take off anywhere on Eve below 2km.
  • Hyperedit or a similar mod is recommended to get your craft into launch position on Eve, but that part is up to you.
  • Only stock parts are allowed. No making history parts.
  • Common sense: only stock physics and planet/part properties are allowed. No cheats or using mods to do something that would be impossible without them once the mission is underway. Other than that, any mod is allowed.
  • Clipped wings, fairings, or structural parts is fine. Significant overlap of other parts such as engines or fuel tanks is not allowed.
  • No EVA pushing.
  • Launch platforms don't count towards mass but they do count towards altitude.
  • The command module holding the Kerbal needs to touch down on Tylo with no attached parts destroyed on landing.
  • To make the leader board, you need to submit at a minimum video or screenshots showing your craft's launch mass, launch altitude, and touched down on Tylo post-mission. Including more screenshots/video and a craft file is encouraged.

I'll add a leader board based on lowest mass once there is a successful entry. I'll also add anyone to this post who completes the Eve to Tylo journey with an alternate set of rules.

This wasn't my idea originally and the main rules have been chosen by the community. Thanks to everyone who participated in the creation of this challenge.

Edited by bayesian_acolyte

For anyone wanting to test designs, (0 lat, -18.31 long) in hyperedit gets you to a location barely below 2km. Only problem is it has 10 degree tilt. Also I think your overall timer needs to be near 0 to get to the right coordinates (there seems to be some sort of bug with hyperedit coordinates). I'll edit this post if I find a better launch location later.

To clarify the rules, launch stabilizers or platforms don't count towards your overall mass as long as they are separated when or before you fire your engines. You can also use an angled launch platform so that you are pointed straight up on a 10 degree slope. It does count towards altitude though; for example you can't use a 20m platform at 1990m altitude because that would put you 10m over a 2km launch height. I've made an edit to the OP reflecting this.

Edited by bayesian_acolyte

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.