[Lost newbie need help :(]

Hello, 

Im french sorry if my english is not very good but I'll try my best.

Im actualy stuck on the building of my labo. I want to attach an antenna saparately from the labo to gain aerodynasmism during the launch, then in space I will attach it where he should be. BUT the thing is i have no idea how to attach it verticaly i tried with Chop 'Otron, decoupler etc.. But it don't work the part do not want to sick with it correctly. It always go throught the vessel/decoupler/chop'otron.

Here is some pics to be more precise https://imgur.com/gallery/8fokkye.

My question is: Is there a good way to attach it verticaly next to the labo (only for the launch i mean in a detachable way) ?

Thank you !

Edited by Yinyin974

Ok, so you want to use a Clamp-o-tron docking port to attach the antenna later, so it's not sticking out on launch?  Probably the easiest fix is to put a part between the two bays there, and attach the clamp-o-tron to THAT.  Send the antenna up later.

For that matter, that's a relay antenna, and I doubt you need that.  Consider using 1-2 https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Communotron_88-88

Not in stock KSP.

You have a few of options that i can quickly see for the design that you want.

1. hunt around for a mod that will do what you want... suggestions though will be coming shortly.

2. get really good a docking. you will need to fit some batteries, RCS, and a probe core to your  antenna arm. undock it from it's launch position, and then dock it on the side. I don't recommend it.

3. take the concept of aerodynamics. put it in a pretty little box and through the box out he window. strap some more boosters and reaction wheels and call it a launch.

I can think of several ways to do this in stock:

1. Use a 1.25m fairing base at the end that attaches to the lab. Build the arm wit the panels and the antenna on the fairing base node. Enable the interstage nodes on the fairing. Pre-dock a small monoprop tug with probe core to the top interstage node, so you can use it to fly it out and dock it to the lab (you may need to offset the tug a bit up to be free from the antenna end, but it will work as if firmly attached). Once the arm is docked to the lab, undock your tug and it will look like your first pic.
  2. Build the tug into the antenna arm. In other words, add a small monoprop tank, a probe core and RCS thrusters to the antenna arm, so it can dock itself.
  3. Turn the antenna 90 degrees so you can add a Jr docking port to that end of the arm and dock a tug there.

The last two methods are illustrated in two versions of my recreation of the Hubble telescope, HLST-1c (method 3, the antenna arms, with tugs pre-docked) and HLST-1a (the solar array arms, with built-in RCS). I don't have a quick illustration at hand for the first method, but I hope the explanation is clear.

1 hour ago, Yinyin974 said:

This was a realy dumb question my bad guys there were so many solution to this, sorry for the waste of time and thank your for your reply!

'Obvious' things tend to be obvious only after we're shown how it works. Nothing was wasted if it helped you progress on your mission. Asking questions and getting help is what this forum is for.

5 hours ago, Yinyin974 said:

This was a realy dumb question my bad guys there were so many solution to this, sorry for the waste of time and thank your for your reply!

Don't stop doing what you can do. You can do everything in this game :wink:

Spoiler

p.s. that has happened to me before:D

On 4/21/2019 at 3:32 AM, Yinyin974 said:

No dumb questions in this game. There is a lot to keep track of when you are starting out. It is a great community for helping out. Never be embarrassed by a question here. :-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.