[1.8] Urgent Contracts 0.1.1 (2019-10-18) - making deadlines matter

garwel

The goal of this mod is to make Career games even more miserable contracts' deadlines meaningful. No longer will you be given 5 years to plant a flag on the Mun--a task that only takes a couple days. There is now this sense of urgency that actual space programs had during the Space Race. If you want something accomplished, you need to act swiftly and effectively. After all, you choose to accept these contracts not because they are easy, but because they are hard!

Note: The mod is in beta. Therefore all sorts of issues can occur: unexpectedly failed or impossible contracts, crashes, earthquakes and naked singularities. Report any unexpected phenomena in this thread, but first of all, backup your saves.

Download

Source Code

Features

• The mod sets more appropriate (and generally shorter) deadlines for many contracts taking into account travel time
  • Currently supported contract types: SurveyContract, PartTest, PlantFlag, SatelliteContract, ISRUContract, ARMContract, SentinelContract, DMAsteroidSurveyContract, DMSurveyContract, DMMagneticSurveyContract
  • Custom planets/moons are supported out of the box
  • If Kerbal Construction Time mod is installed, deadlines will be longer
  • Only offered (not yet accepted) contracts are affected
  • In-game settings allow you to adjust overall deadline duration and random element as well as disable the mod altogether
  • Edit the config file or amend using MM patches to add new contract types and celestial bodies

Planned Features

• Support for more contracts
  • Support for Contract Configurator contracts (match by title)
  • Accurate calculation of deadlines for asteroid contracts
  • Adjust reward for contracts (optional)
  • Forced, i.e. auto-accepted contracts (optional)
  • Better support for multi-body contracts (e.g. grand tours)

Required and Supported Mods

License: MIT

Enjoy the mod? Buy me a coffee!

Changelog

Spoiler

• Compiled for KSP 1.8 "Moar Boosters". Not compatible with KSP 1.7.3 and below
  • Added: More contracts from Contract Configurator
  • Added: Can now apply rules to contracts based on their title (Title key in the config file)

• Initial beta

Edited by garwel
Buy me a coffee

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment but I like the idea of mandatory contracts.  Perhaps even coupled with Severedsolo's Monthly Budgets for some extra Government-sponsored brutality.  It would give a real sense of a space race using public funds where you are not entirely in control of the agenda.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/18/2021 at 5:24 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Does this mod understand planet pack?  I've been getting contracts with absurd deadlines when playing in JNSQ, wondering if this is causing the issue

Yes, it should work fine with planet packs. Can you tell me more: which contracts and what deadlines do they have?

3 hours ago, garwel said:

Yes, it should work fine with planet packs. Can you tell me more: which contracts and what deadlines do they have?

I have JNSQ installed, had UC installed with default settings.

I also have a lot of other contracts installed, would have to go look to see which ones (can do that later if  you need).

The problem I have been having is that I was getting DMagic contracts which required being in orbit for a period of time to do a scan, say, 44 days, but the contract would expire in a much shorter time, like 20 days or so.

I can't do it now, but let me know if you need me to get you a log file, screen shots, etc, I can do that this evening.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 10/19/2021 at 3:41 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

I have JNSQ installed, had UC installed with default settings.

I also have a lot of other contracts installed, would have to go look to see which ones (can do that later if  you need).

The problem I have been having is that I was getting DMagic contracts which required being in orbit for a period of time to do a scan, say, 44 days, but the contract would expire in a much shorter time, like 20 days or so.

I can't do it now, but let me know if you need me to get you a log file, screen shots, etc, I can do that this evening.

I'm playing with JNSQ too and, while the deadlines I for ScanSat get there are challenging, they are not impossible. But if you could share a screenshot + a list of mods you use, I'd take a look. You can also tweak some numbers in the settings.

1 hour ago, garwel said:

I'm playing with JNSQ too and, while the deadlines I for ScanSat get there are challenging, they are not impossible. But if you could share a screenshot + a list of mods you use, I'd take a look. You can also tweak some numbers in the settings.

If I get a chance, I will, may take a little while since I only get in my game about 1-2/week

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.