I think I am the victim of a never before seen kraken glitch in 1.2

Missingno200

This one is a bit hard to explain, so bear with me. I didn't save any pictures minus the one here and sadly never actually saved the modlist or the copy of the glitched game, so I'm going off of my memory here, but here's what I remember.

Late at night, in late 2016, I was playing KSP for a while on my old laptop, which a few months ago experienced a hard drive failure so I can't get the mod list from it anymore. I was playing KSP normally, until I noticed that the ship I was trying to rendezvous with had suddenly disappeared from my sight, and the targetting indicator was going extremely wild. "Well that's weird." I looked at my speed and it had suddenly gone from its orbital speeds of 2000+ m/s to around... 100 m/s and it was telling me that I was over the surface of something. Definitely not right, because last time I checked, I was in HKO, trying to get to my HKO resupply station for the trek to Duna. That's when I opened my map. All the planets orbits had gone into a more square formation and kept flickering in and out(a similar result was achieved by Hazard-ish in 1.0 when editing the aerodynamics, although I swear mine was more hectic than this.) It was a mess. All orbiting vehicles were screwed too, because they had all been slowed down by the atmospheres of flickering planets. A couple of satellites I switched to(when I finally could switch to them, it was a hard time trying to convince the game that no, I wasn't applying thrust at all) experienced RUD. upon loading in, and the one that didn't was already doomed because it was basically slingshotted out of existence for all the orbits cared. I noped the heck out and loaded the KSC only to discover, to my horror, that the terrain was terribly warped and unrecognizable. I backed out of the game, and snapped the only screenshot I ever did. Before I closed the game though, there was something else. There was a hangar, I think the inline one, just... Randomly on the title screen. No rhyme or reason.

I rebooted the game a few days later, to see if it fixed anything, and the only difference was that the Mun was back. That was it. Kerbin was just... Obliterated off of the face of the title screen, and the graphics were garbled. That one also had a hangar, although it was on the game select part of the menu and it was a MK3(I think) hangar instead of the inline one. Only two kerbals showed up on the title screen. Trying to launch ANYTHING was basically impossible, and this affected ALL saves. Starting a new save just crashed it. 

To this day, I only have this screenshot to prove it, and I'm frustrated I didn't get any other screenshots, because then I'd have more proof. I dunno, what do you guys think? It's definitely a kraken, it destroyed my ships(and my save files), but it also affected the rest of the game. And what should I call this thing? I think it should get a name, if only for just how bizarre and mind breaking it was to me. For those of you who didn't click the link earlier, here's the only screenshot I have left of this entire ordeal, posted to Steam on December 2nd, 2016.

?imw=1024&imh=575&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

Edited by Missingno200

4 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Your first post in 2 years, about a one time glitch from 3 years ago?

How about you call it the necro-kraken lol?

:rolleyes:

If it was a one time glitch, it wouldn't have persisted past the time it happened, but it happened persistently no matter how many times I rebooted. I sort of put it on the backburner instead, picking up a different game to play through because it'd take me weeks to reinstall KSP, I distinctly remember that screenshot alone took a good half hour to upload thanks to my internet at the time, which was dial-up. (I totally forgot I even owned this account until now.)

I do not believe that's how necroing works but honestly, that name does have a nice ring to it. I'll save it for something else later, maybe.

Just now, Rocket In My Pocket said:

You were playing what? 1.2 looks like? A modded install as well.

Odds are that "glitch" can't be reproduced anymore, on the current version of the game.

So it doesn't even need a name really.

The glitch may be reproducable, I'm going through trying to remember which mods I had installed by looking at old videos I had posted at the time and looking at mods that would've interested past me, but yeah, maybe not reproducable anymore. Either way, fits a kraken's description, destroys ships and physics alike, as well as doing a few other things.

I've seen older glitches get names, but you do hold a point. I posted to, in part, see if anyone else would say they've felt the effects of this outlandish kraken too, because I don't like being alone when it comes to experiencing things, new and old.

4 minutes ago, Missingno200 said:

Hm, guess I was mistaken then. My bad. Your name does seem really familiar, like I've used one of your mods extensively in the past.

Would have been the Mk1 cockpit then I would think, it's the oldest one. Its from 2016 back when you were playing.

(Which reminds me, I have to update the version numbers on the thread!)

10 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Would have been the Mk1 cockpit then I would think, it's the oldest one. Its from 2016 back when you were playing.

(Which reminds me, I have to update the version numbers on the thread!)

Maybe then. I'll try 1.2 again to see if I can reproduce the glitch using that mod(along with the other mods I was likely using at the time,) although something tells me that I didn't have that mod in 2016 but sometime shortly after 2016.

I actually looked there first in order to figure out if it had been discovered already, which was why I posted it here hoping to get someone else who might've known what had happened with my description(it's also how I determined the glitch to be a kraken), but thank you for the effort anyways.

When I saw your post, I thought "I think I've seen this before, I vaguely remember Hazard-ish encountered something like that a while ago", and after checking, I found it: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhk1BPQxoHE   - We see square orbits at 4:18, among various other things (the planets overlap), and we see the terrain glitch at the end. 

The square orbits I've never seen anywhere else. The Kerbin terrain glitch is known (it shows up in almost every Danny2462 video), and most of the other stuff you mentioned has been reported once or twice before, but to my knowledge never to that scale. I also have never heard of a loading screen glitching to that extent but based on my knowledge on how the loading screen graphics are created it could be a rare side effect of the Kraken. 

Edited by BillKerman123

3 hours ago, BillKerman123 said:

When I saw your post, I thought "I think I've seen this before, I vaguely remember Hazard-ish encountered something like that a while ago", and after checking, I found it: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhk1BPQxoHE   - We see square orbits at 4:18, among various other things (the planets overlap), and we see the terrain glitch at the end. 

The square orbits I've never seen anywhere else. The Kerbin terrain glitch is known (it shows up in almost every Danny2462 video), and most of the other stuff you mentioned has been reported once or twice before, but to my knowledge never to that scale. I also have never heard of a loading screen glitching to that extent but based on my knowledge on how the loading screen graphics are created it could be a rare side effect of the Kraken. 

Yeah, I thought something similar had happened, although I originally thought it was from Danny2462(which explains why I couldn't find the example I was looking for.) Thanks for bringing up that video, I'm now going to edit my original post so I can more accurately describe the orbits.

@Missingno200 

Here's how you reproduce that missing terrain in the main menu in 1.2 and 1.3 (doesnt happen in 1.1.3 or 1.4+)

Start new game or resume an existing one. Than go back to the menu, that gets you to see the Mun or Bust Screen.

Then Press Alt and Enter.  (which takes the game out of full screen)

No idea if that's related to your in game bug though.

I had experienced the issue before but I believe someone else had already posted a bug report to the bug tracker for it.

The menu bug was sort of fixed in 1.4 but it caused another issue with pixelation with stretching the screen to the native resolution instead of just resizing it to a smaller window within the native resolution.

https://imgur.com/QqYfevr

Not sure how to get this picture to show in forum. I did this screenshot today

Edited by Anth12

6 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

@Missingno200 

Here's how you reproduce that missing terrain in the main menu in 1.2 and 1.3 (doesnt happen in 1.1.3 or 1.4+)

Start new game or resume an existing one. Than go back to the menu, that gets you to see the Mun or Bust Screen.

Then Press Alt and Enter.  (which takes the game out of full screen)

No idea if that's related to your in game bug though.

I had experienced the issue before but I believe someone else had already posted a bug report to the bug tracker for it.

The menu bug was sort of fixed in 1.4 but it caused another issue with pixelation with stretching the screen to the native resolution instead of just resizing it to a smaller window within the native resolution.

https://imgur.com/QqYfevr

Yeah, it's completely unrelated. I don't play KSP in fullscreen(a habit picked up thanks to games like ROBLOX and GMod where if your computer is not good enough and the program freezes, you're SoL), so that bug wouldn't have been it. Although it is a very similar result. Thanks for sharing!

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.