Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

StrandedonEarth

9 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

The lesson in this video is... Don't fly along the ground at someone in your space ship. And maybe shoot them instead of trying to ram them for some stupid reason.

Or you know - bombs. Bombs would work too, and dont have to be as accurate.

20 minutes ago, cubinator said:

she'd have been blasted from afar and above.

She is going to be hit by the windscreen of the moving fighter, and as I can see, there are two dust rows behind the vessel, and safe bar of sand in between.

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, Kerballing (Got Dunked On) said:

BOI

actually... popcorn would be good... BUT ITS STAR WARS DUDE!

Maybe if it's actually coherent and makes sense, unlike the last two which are fun to watch but story-wise seem to crumble under even moderate scrutiny. Why is the resistance in exactly the same situation as before Endor? Why does this nobody Snoke exist? Why isn't Leia a Jedi, or at least use her powers at all? 

IX could answer these questions, and if it does the trilogy might be redeemed from these issues.

15 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Why isn't Leia a Jedi

Because the non-female chauvinist pigs of early 1970s would be but hurted to death by a self-sustaining, active, and strong female character instead of one more princess in distress.

(Poor Jabba is the absolute top of that what she could be allowed without Han's or Luke's leadership and protection).

Edited by kerbiloid

2 hours ago, Kerballing (Got Dunked On) said:

BOI

actually... popcorn would be good... BUT ITS STAR WARS DUDE!

I have watched every single Star Wars movie in the theater on opening weekend...dude. I watched Return of the Jedi on opening day at Mann's Chinese Theater on Hollywood Boulevard. I know Star Wars when I see it, sir, and this is not Star Wars. ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist the Loyd Bentsen homage. :D )

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

Maybe if it's actually coherent and makes sense, unlike the last two which are fun to watch but story-wise seem to crumble under even moderate scrutiny. Why is the resistance in exactly the same situation as before Endor? Why does this nobody Snoke exist? Why isn't Leia a Jedi, or at least use her powers at all? 

IX could answer these questions, and if it does the trilogy might be redeemed from these issues.

I'm not holding my breath. I'm sure that when they all sat down in the first production meeting (between Rian Johnson's nightmare of a movie and the death of Carrie Fisher) the first thing they said was, "Well, how do we put out the dumpster fire?" :D  I still think that the reason why there is a Resistance and a New Order is because the executives at Disney said, "Star Wars is about Rebels fighting an Evil Empire. Make it so." So, no, I don't think they will ever allow that dynamic to change or grow into anything else. And if you can think of a story more depressing than a bunch of good guys fighting against a bunch of bad guys that everyone knows they will never be able to truly defeat, please don't tell it to me.

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Because the non-female chauvinist pigs of early 1970s would be but hurted to death by a self-sustaining, active, and strong female character instead of one more princess in distress.

(Poor Jabba is the absolute top of that what she could be allowed).

Actually, Leia was a very strong female character. Back in the days when women were allowed to be women. She was a leader in the Rebel Alliance, one of its highest commanders. She was an excellent shot. She's saves everyone's keisters multiple times. If it weren't for Leia's ongoing acts of bravery, Luke and Kenobi would have remained blissfully ignorant on Tatooine, Han would have remained a roguish smuggler, the Death Star plans would never have been available to the Rebellion, etc. Leia's burning belief in the righteousness of the Rebellion was one of the main driving forces of the entire original trilogy. And she didn't take guff from anybody. But, by all means, continue to think she was weak because she didn't swing a light saber.

Edited by TheSaint

4 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

She was a leader in the Rebel Alliance, one of its highest commanders. She was an excellent shot. She's saves everyone's keisters multiple times. If it weren't for Leia's ongoing acts of bravery, Luke and Kenobi would have remained blissfully ignorant on Tatooine, Han would have remained a roguish smuggler, the Death Star plans would never have been available to the Rebellion, etc. Leia's burning belief in the righteousness of the Rebellion was one of the main driving forces of the entire original trilogy. And she didn't take guff from anybody. But, by all means, continue to think she was weak because she didn't swing a light saber.

The princess.

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRR_fQyrSOC0wqQiN4R8mGimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_TIcRguFeO2_abDOUVhe

The commander.

Spoiler

HU505b_0020b.jpg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

The last survivor.

Spoiler

MV5BN2NhMDk1OTYtMWY1MC00MTViLThhMTUtMGU5images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQs1CDvCc_3luL3pFj_j3y

6 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

The princess.

Reveal hidden contents

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRR_fQyrSOC0wqQiN4R8mGimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_TIcRguFeO2_abDOUVhe

The commander.

Reveal hidden contents

The last survivor.

Reveal hidden contents

MV5BN2NhMDk1OTYtMWY1MC00MTViLThhMTUtMGU5images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQs1CDvCc_3luL3pFj_j3y

The "princess":

star-wars-into-the-garbage-chute-flyboy.

hoth0525.jpg

returnofthejedi-leia-speederbike.jpg

Now, I'll grant you that Leia became a weaker character as the movies progressed. But I think that was more because Lucas had to make room for Luke and Han to grow than out of any conscious misogyny.

I think if I have any problem with the character of Leia its that she's so young for the role that she's cast in a military organization like the Rebellion. She would be much more believable if she were an old battleaxe like all of the strong women I knew when I was in the Navy. But, you know, Hollywood.

44 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I think if I have any problem with the character of Leia its that she's so young for the role that she's cast in a military organization like the Rebellion. She would be much more believable if she were an old battleaxe like all of the strong women I knew when I was in the Navy. But, you know, Hollywood.

She is the adoptive daughter of a former senator and strong opponent of the Empire.

1 minute ago, cubinator said:

She is the adoptive daughter of a former senator and strong opponent of the Empire.

So you're saying the strongest force in the universe is...nepotism? I have a hard time arguing with that. :D

9 minutes ago, cubinator said:

She is the adoptive daughter of a former senator

Looking at her bended poses I would hardly believe.

She should be able to look at others like at crap.

Right posture.

Spoiler

Wrong posture

Spoiler

hoth0525.jpg

(Yes, I always disliked Leia, but this doesn't matter)

Edited by kerbiloid

17 minutes ago, razark said:

So...

Star Wars, then?

suXvp1pb.jpg

What I'm saying is that it doesn't really feel like it's even part of the same story anymore. It's just another big screen blockbuster churned out by the Hollywood machine.

6 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

...it doesn't really feel like it's even part of the same story anymore.

I was there with the last movie.  I'm not sure exactly what it was supposed to be, but it sure as hell wasn't Star Wars.

Episode 7 was definitely SW, though.  But I would have preferred not to rehash Ep. 4, over again.

Edited by razark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.