Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

StrandedonEarth

7 minutes ago, razark said:

I was there with the last movie.  I'm not sure exactly what it was supposed to be, but it sure as hell wasn't Star Wars.

Episode 7 was definitely SW, though.  But I would have preferred not to rehash Ep. 4, over again.

I was more impressed with VII when I walked out of the theater than I am today. Most of the other films, even II and III, went the other way. The more I thought about them in their overall context of the story, the more my opinion of them improved over time. (Even if my opinion of them was still mostly negative, it became less negative.) Because I came to understand how they all worked together to tell one story. Episode VII, I walked out thinking, "Yeah, that was great. Lots of action, well paced, good duels, little tug of the heartstrings there with Han. Good film." But the more I thought about it, the more I tried to put it into context with the rest of the films, it just started to fall apart. It's not that it was a terrible film. It just doesn't fit into the story well. It's off. Episode VIII was a terrible movie on all levels. Granted, all we've seen of IX is a teaser trailer, but, all things considered, I think they have an uphill battle ahead of them.

23 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet, but I suppose the TLJ gag reflex makes it hard to get interested in Ep9...

Exactly.   My response to the trailer, after seeing the last two movies, *yawn*.

Which means, if they do even a decent job, I might actually be surprised and enjoy it some. 

I think Jar Jar would have improved ep VII and VIII. 

33 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I think Jar Jar would have improved ep VII and VIII

Adding Smurfs would even have improved ep VII and VIII....

It would be cool to see Gargamel as the emperor though. &)

I don’t know what to say here that won’t get me torn apart by everyone who hates the sequels or TLJ or Disney-era Star Wars. I’m a very open minded SW fan, and it takes a lot for me to legitimately hate something. For example, I actually enjoyed TLJ. Did I agree with all the choices Rian Johnson made? No. Subverting audience expectations in the middle of a trilogy is a terrible idea and is just laying the groundwork for tons of people to get liquided off at you — which, as well all know, ended up happening. But do I let this ruin my viewing experience? Also no. The point is, I don’t let portions of a specific piece of Star Wars content ruin my enjoyment of said content as a whole, and I try not to get caught up on what I hate or disagree with, like so many other fans have with Disney-era films and shows (that includes all the Rebels hate because it’s not The Clone Wars, so to everyone who’s still like that after five years, just stop). This is where The Rise of Skywalker comes in. I’m keeping an open mind about it because I’ve been enjoying a lot of new canon content over the last few years, and I’m intrigued to see how J J Abrams repairs the trilogy from some of the poor plot choices from The Last Jedi. That doesn’t mean I’m not worried for a rehash of Return of the Jedi, especially since Palpatine and possibly Endor are making reappearances, but I’m hopeful that I’ll enjoy it. 

And time for this post to get ripped to pieces. Good thing the forums don’t have a dislike button, because I would probably be at -50 likes within an hour.

6 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

And time for this post to get ripped to pieces. Good thing the forums don’t have a dislike button, because I would probably be at -50 likes within an hour.

I hate to disappoint but I pretty much agree with you.

I'll make fun of the choices made in TLJ with the rest of 'em but in the end off the day I enjoyed it, and am sure I'll enjoy this one too.

Edited by 5thHorseman
Swypeos

18 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

snip

Yeah, some parts of it were cool. The interaction between Rey and Kylo was interesting. The Snoke fight scene looked cool. The lightspeed ram looked cool. I just don't know how well all this ties into the story that's already been established, and it just seemed very random plot-wise.

Leia is an off-topic here, but...

8 hours ago, Kerballing (Got Dunked On) said:

@kerbiloid... nobody cares about posture! 

Are you sure?

Compare.
(caution: large pictures)

Spoiler

Poised and polished. Always straight, fine, and high even if low.

WB_F4_BeauxbatonsStudents_GirlsOfBeauxba

2000?cb=20161210202603

8b6497ac-3b38-4991-8a3e-5cf220747025-ab0

the_huntsman_split_-_h_2015_0.jpg

p051q3t9.jpg

g8xr9hll_400x400.jpgHU505b_0020b.jpg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

Spoiler

Princess Leia.
Always bended, tilted, submissive, secondary, rarely standing still only when next to a higher character.

tumblr_nzejr3JIyx1s2wio8o1_500.gif036c0-star2bwars2bprincess2bleia2bhan2bs

1445396302274.jpg439defa4697ce3bd49f01717a01bbd17.jpgtumblr_n59j3mOaGQ1sjzbuao1_500.giffcf2a18706529fb4e91f8dd060c1fd83.jpghoth0525.jpg8F940712D9C0DFBA78464E570A87EF423D06F432

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMuESJjg9bfa5FpQ7zXUsstarwars_3167803b.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvCLjlDqd6_6GrVd3T1KWimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4MQnUsTCwgjy5Gnse_OMprincess-leia-gold-bikini-1536x864-44038fahjoubw2sydwsiurvzw.pngmaxresdefault.jpg

Bending back even when higher.
Princess-Leia-ceremony.jpg

Organa family. Look aristocratic.
BailBrehaLeia-hd.png

Like she is asking: "Who was the governess of your Little Miss Princess? A kitchen maid? But why?!"

latest?cb=20141125164458&path-prefix=fr

Edited by kerbiloid

On 4/19/2019 at 1:10 AM, razark said:

I was there with the last movie.  I'm not sure exactly what it was supposed to be, but it sure as hell wasn't Star Wars.

Episode 7 was definitely SW, though.  But I would have preferred not to rehash Ep. 4, over again.

And that, right there, sums up the Star Wars fandom.

Familiar = rehash.

Different = Not Star Wars.

Either way there is much internet bile spilled and great outrage from the defenders of the faith. Not to mention that it’s become increasingly difficult to separate the genuine criticism from the misogynistic twaddle.

Not impressed by the teaser. Looks like a begging ‘don’t hate on us’ plea to the more rabid elements of the fanbase. Chubby Lando, the Emperor (seriously?) and what looks like Yet Another Superweapon.

Even the title is lame.

Hopefully it’ll bear no resemblance to the actual film.

Edited by KSK

@ProtoJeb21

I like your post but I’m going to have to respectfully disagree with your point about subverting audience expectations.

Subverting expectations is an excellent way of throwing in a twist that the audience just didn’t see coming, which changes their whole perspective on a film, and which breaks them out of their comfortable rut, turning a good film into a really memorable film in the process.

As an example I give you six immortal words.

”No Luke - I am your father.”

9 hours ago, KSK said:

@ProtoJeb21

I like your post but I’m going to have to respectfully disagree with your point about subverting audience expectations.

Subverting expectations is an excellent way of throwing in a twist that the audience just didn’t see coming, which changes their whole perspective on a film, and which breaks them out of their comfortable rut, turning a good film into a really memorable film in the process.

As an example I give you six immortal words.

”No Luke - I am your father.”

I guess I should’ve worded it better. Yes, throwing your audience off guard is a great way to make a film more unexpected and interesting, but it depends on how you do it. You can either make it timeless like with the “I am your father” scene, or create more problems for how to continue the story.

20 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I just figured it was the ruins of the 2nd Death Star, maybe on Endor.

And yes I know the stuff about Endor not surviving that explosion. That's science. This is Star Wars.

You’re probably right. And - to be completely clear - the rest of this post isn’t snarking at you. :) 

Still, if Endor managed to survive the Death Star II explosion, dropping an Ewok dinosaur-killer sized chunk of debris on it should have finished off what was left of its biosphere.

Mad props to the Emperor’s Force ghost though. Force welding the zillion and one shards of metal that survived the detonation of a planet destroying energy source, back into a coherent piece, is quite the trick. 

Makes astral projection over galactic distances look a bit tame.

23 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

And yes I know the stuff about Endor not surviving that explosion.

The survivors have been ewokuated.

2 hours ago, KSK said:

if Endor managed to survive the Death Star II explosion, dropping an Ewok dinosaur-killer sized chunk of debris on it should have finished off what was left of its biosphere.

No problem with debris, anyway they've gotten a lot of roentgens.

I'm alright with the film, it's just the title. Rise of Skywalker. I mean, COME ON PEOPLE. IT SOUNDS SO CRINGY! 

And yes, the backlash against TLJ (which I was apart of), has made me hate the sequels even more, but I guess I'll have to see this film when it releases. I wasn't hyped for it at all. I mocked it, and it was painful to watch. Only interesting bits are the Death Star II crash scene and Palpatine's laugh (which made me actually a little bit excited).

While I'm on the topic of sequel trailers. when I saw the first trailer for TFA, I was really hyped. It looked great. Saw the film, kinda liked it. Then TLJ came out, and as a rule I have all Star Wars films on DVD, BR, or even VHS (OT), but that doesn't mean I have to watch them. Heck, I saw TLJ in cinemas, got it on blu ray, haven't even removed the plastic clear wrap around the case (like I haven't even touched it, it's just sitting there). I'm hoping for TROS to be good, because it's supposed to be the last Star Wars movie in the timeline (not counting the rumors of the Obi Wan film in development). 

I'll just have to wait and see it first, but I'm hoping this film can save the sequels.

Edited by The_Cat_In_Space

12 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I'm alright with the film, it's just the title. Rise of Skywalker. I mean, COME ON PEOPLE. IT SOUNDS SO CRINGY! 

Yeah it's the 2nd worst title after Killer Klonez From Outer Space or whatever Episode 2 was called.

16 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I'm alright with the film, it's just the title.

A New Hope.  I mean, COME ON PEOPLE. IT SOUNDS SO CRINGY!

The title isn't really any better or worse than the other eight of them.  Or thousands of other movie titles out there.

Just now, razark said:

A New Hope.  I mean, COME ON PEOPLE. IT SOUNDS SO CRINGY!

Hmm... A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi

These films were titled like Saturday morning episodes, like a continuation of a story (which Star Wars is). 

8 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Yeah it's the 2nd worst title after Killer Klonez From Outer Space or whatever Episode 2 was called.

The prequels are great if you exclude Jar Jar and the love scenes in Ep 2. I mean, Episode 3 is a cinematic masterpiece 

32 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

not counting the rumors of the Obi Wan film in development

There's also The Mandalorian, a live-action series set after RotJ, which will air on Disney+. The trailer is not publicly available yet.

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Just now, StrandedonEarth said:

There's also The Mandalorian, a series set after RotJ, which will air on Disney+. The trailer is not publicly available yet.

Films and series are different things. I'm talking about films, not including the new Clone Wars series and the Mandalorian

34 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Hmm... A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi

I see no problem with A New Hope. And when it came out or was just Star Wars.

Empire Strikes Back is probably the 3rd worst title. Return of the Jedi isn't bad at all. Better than Revenge of the Jedi which iirc it almost was.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.