Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

StrandedonEarth

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

The titles often can be interpreted as references to Anakin's story - "Return of the Jedi", "Revenge of the Sith". So I think "The Rise of Skywalker" may be partly about how Anakin came to exist in the first place.

.... You saying they're gonna implement time travel or something? Cause that (from my understanding) is the only way this could chronologically work....

15 minutes ago, qzgy said:

.... You saying they're gonna implement time travel or something? Cause that (from my understanding) is the only way this could chronologically work....

Nah, they'll just have Rey go back to the now significantly less forested Endor and discover a clue leading them back to Sheev's secret lab on Jakku where he did all his super secret cloning. We'll learn about how he created Anakin either through a recording, or at most through a clone of his who has been orchestrating all this and likely puppeteering Snoke. Maybe they'll run into a Zillo beast just for kicks, who knows. Then she'll probably tell Kylo about it later, and he'll...be Kylo about it.

also Rey is a clone, that's my bet.

Edited by cubinator

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

Nah, they'll just have Rey go back to the now significantly less forested Endor and discover a clue leading them back to Sheev's secret lab on Jakku where he did all his super secret cloning. We'll learn about how he created Anakin either through a recording, or at most through a clone of his who has been orchestrating all this and likely puppeteering Snoke. Maybe they'll run into a Zillo beast just for kicks, who knows. Then she'll probably tell Kylo about it later, and he'll...be Kylo about it.

also Rey is a clone, that's my bet.

This makes more sense of the title than anything else I've heard.

After decades of training, tribulation, and triumph, Luke Skywalker has at last achieved the highest rank among the Jedi: Yeast Lord. Roll along on this new adventure from grain to grain as your favorite characters slice across the galaxy in an attempt to make the ultimate loaf of bread. Biscuits will be buttered, flour will fly, and this Christmas, the Yeast will Rise.

Bread Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. 

15 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

After decades of training, tribulation, and triumph, Luke Skywalker has at last achieved the highest rank among the Jedi: Yeast Lord. Roll along on this new adventure from grain to grain as your favorite characters slice across the galaxy in an attempt to make the ultimate loaf of bread. Biscuits will be buttered, flour will fly, and this Christmas, the Yeast will Rise.

Bread Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. 

Paul Hollywood still won't shake his hand.

9 hours ago, cubinator said:

The titles often can be interpreted as references to Anakin's story - "Return of the Jedi", "Revenge of the Sith". So I think "The Rise of Skywalker" may be partly about how Anakin came to exist in the first place.

It could also be referencing Leia - who should already have "risen" to become a Jedi a long time ago.

6 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

That seems clunky seeing as Leia's never actually had the name "Skywalker."

Unlike her dad and bro, she never was walking on the roof while sleeping.

The Rise of Skywalker

Morning. Sleepy Luke rises from bed and skywalks to the bathroom.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 4/23/2019 at 5:11 PM, qzgy said:

You saying they're gonna implement time travel or something? Cause that (from my understanding) is the only way this could chronologically work

The Clone Wars series leave that door open, yes.

On 4/21/2019 at 1:32 PM, KSK said:

Subverting expectations is an excellent way of throwing in a twist that the audience just didn’t see coming, which changes their whole perspective on a film, and which breaks them out of their comfortable rut, turning a good film into a really memorable film in the process.

Not necessarily - or at least not necessarily in a positive way. The criticism raised at Rian is that he used the “You get a subversion, and you get a subversion, everyone gets subversions!” school of artsy writing that's concerned solely with screwing with the viewer’s head, which is a very unwelcome sight in a general audience popcorn flick. Plus the tonal clashes as a result of misguided Whedon emulation.

Subversions have to stand for something, not leave a gaping hole in the viewer’s thought process. Such as Holdo not turning out to be am Imperial agent despite the build-up her portrayal as hostile to a returning, sympathetic charecter. Or the dissonance of telling someone that blowing things up in X-Wings isn’t a solution to military threats in SW.

Oh, and don’t get me started on Commissar Rose Tico’s last quote.

On 4/19/2019 at 4:14 AM, ProtoJeb21 said:

And time for this post to get ripped to pieces. Good thing the forums don’t have a dislike button, because I would probably be at -50 likes within an hour.

KIROV

REPORTING

Anyway, we all remember what happened to the TLJ thread itself, so it’s best to steer clear of the topic.

A pretty amusing turn of events would be JJ making a sequel to his TLJ plot while aggressively erasing the consequences of Rian throwing all of his notes in the garbage and going with his very own first draft - which would explain why he suddenly brought Sheev back now that Rian has unceremoniously bumped off his planned trilogy villain.

Meanwhile, Reddit leaks suggest Kylo’s got a Star Forge.

Edited by DDE

3 hours ago, DDE said:

Or the dissonance of telling someone that blowing things up in X-Wings isn’t a solution to military threats in SW.

If that’s sufficient to cause dissonance in the average Star Wars fan, then it goes a long way towards explaining why I no longer care for, or have any wish to engage with them on matters of Star Wars.

Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

Edit. Expanding on that a bit. Sneaking around, espionage and guerrilla tactics, and plain old running away from superior forces have been at least as much a solution to military threats in Star Wars as ‘blowing things up in X-Wings.’

Episode 4 featured hiding in smuggling compartments, heroes disguising themselves (not terribly well) as the enemy and semi-covert infiltration of an enemy facility to knock out a crucial piece of equipment.

Episode V featured disabling enemy vessels with an ion cannon before making a run for it. 

Episode 6 featured offscreen espionage to locate the enemy, followed by an attempted covert strike on another crucial enemy facility, followed by a proper combined forces assault with fighters, corvette sized vessels and capital ships. 

Strangely, none of this appeared to cause any viewer dissonance at all.

Edited by KSK

1 hour ago, KSK said:

Strangely, none of this appeared to cause any viewer dissonance at all.

Because it wasn’t followed by a chewing-out over a slightly costly tactical victory.

16 minutes ago, DDE said:

Because it wasn’t followed by a chewing-out over a slightly costly tactical victory.

Oh noes. Not a chewing out. The horror. How will the delicate sensibilities of the True Fans ever cope.

Or do ‘popcorn movies’ preclude even rudimentary character development moments, such as being called out for stupid decisions?

If that’s anyone’s idea of a subverted expectation, it would explain a lot.

Edited by KSK

50 minutes ago, KSK said:

stupid decisions

[citation needed]

It was such a stupid decision, a full two squadrons went with it.

50 minutes ago, KSK said:

How will the delicate sensibilities of the True Fans ever cope.

Your snooty elitism is noted.

And it's an absolutely ironclad commercial strategy, I am sure.

8 minutes ago, DDE said:

[citation needed]

It was such a stupid decision, a full two squadrons went with it.

Your snooty elitism is noted.

And it's an absolutely ironclad commercial strategy, I am sure.

Because charismatic leaders never get promoted beyond their competence (for example because of a lack of other leaders) or make stupid decisions and get their subordinates killed.

And you’re mistaking snooty elitism for plain old sarcasm. Not very polite of me I admit and I apologise. But if not getting bent out of shape by a film in which the good guys are less than infallible, makes me elitist, then damn right I’m elitist.

Oh - and if we’re talking about commercial success, $1.33 billion gross, off a $451 million opening seems pretty successful to me. For interest (as far as I can tell from the flurry of numbers on Wikipedia), The Force Awakens grossed $2.07 billion off a $529 million opening.

So The Last Jedi wasn’t anywhere near as successful as The Force Awakens but still scored some respectable figures, including a total take of approximately 3x opening take. Which seems to suggest a couple of things: one - that a lot of people were either unaware of, or didn’t care about the negativity from the die-hard fans; and two, that whilst it might not have been an ironclad commercial strategy, it was a pretty damn watertight one.

6 minutes ago, KSK said:

So The Last Jedi wasn’t anywhere near as successful as The Force Awakens but still scored some respectable figures, including a total take of approximately 3x opening take. Which seems to suggest a couple of things: one - that a lot of people were either unaware of, or didn’t care about the negativity from the die-hard fans; and two, that whilst it might not have been an ironclad commercial strategy, it was a pretty damn watertight one.

Indeed, we may see the chickens coming to roost - if we haven't seen it with Solo (where it would be difficult to distinguish fallout, the film's own failings, and not being a numbered episode).

7 minutes ago, KSK said:

Because charismatic leaders never get promoted beyond their competence (for example because of a lack of other leaders) or make stupid decisions and get their subordinates killed.

You've yet to shown incompetence in that case.

If the small craft that attacked the dreadnought at Poe's beckoning weren't supposed to attack the dreadnought, why were they even out of the hangars and loaded for bear?

8 minutes ago, KSK said:

but if not getting bent out of shape by a film in which the good guys are less than infallible

It's one thing to be fallible.

It's another thing to be screwed over by the plot, and being told to like it.

10 minutes ago, KSK said:

Not very polite of me I admit and I apologise.

Out of likes.

25 minutes ago, KSK said:

Then what's the gain of their charisma?

To be honest, the only reason I can think of for using those bombers is that there was literally nothing else available. Even in-universe, I’m struggling to think of a good use for them. 

I’m probably misremembering as it’s been a long time since I saw the film but I thought the issue was not so much Poe using the bombers (as you say, they were out for a reason) but for pressing the attack when a retreat would have been the wiser option.

I don’t think Poe did get screwed over by the plot. But even so, I’m fine with ‘Hero gets screwed over by plot’ as a break from ‘Hero succeeds only because of plot armour’.

And yeah, we may well see those chickens come home to roost. Much as I enjoyed The Last Jedi, it didn’t leave an obvious way into the next film. Killing off your Big Bad midway through a trilogy was a bold move but I’ll be disappointed if it turns out that an older Big Bad was pulling the strings all along.

Hopefully my first impressions of the trailer are flat wrong but I’m not encouraged by the shout-outs to the original trilogy.

I also hope that the negativity around Last Jedi will prove to be more fan dumb (to use the TV Tropes term, I’m not trying to be deliberately insulting) than fandom and that it doesn’t impact on Rise of Skywalker. Let that film succeed or fail on its own.

20 minutes ago, KSK said:

And you’re mistaking snooty elitism for plain old sarcasm. Not very polite of me I admit and I apologise. But if not getting bent out of shape by a film in which the good guys are less than infallible, makes me elitist, then damn right I’m elitist.

Oh - and if we’re talking about commercial success, $1.33 billion gross, off a $451 million opening seems pretty successful to me. For interest (as far as I can tell from the flurry of numbers on Wikipedia), The Force Awakens grossed $2.07 billion off a $529 million opening.

So, just to chime in here with some real world numbers. TLJ was a disappointment in the Disney boardroom, even after having made $1.3 billion. Not a catastrophe, but a disappointment. Kathleen Kennedy wasn't out of a job, but she was tap-dancing pretty hard.

TLJ had a budget of $200 million. So you say, "Okay, so they cleared $1.1 billion on it, right?" Not so fast. That's just what it cost to make the movie. That doesn't include the marketing costs, which these days are staggering. All that advertising doesn't buy itself. A good rule of thumb is that the marketing will run you roughly 2-3 times the budget of the movie. So we'll be conservative and call the marketing budget $400 million.

So now you're in for $600 million. So you cleared $700 million, right? Wrong. Disney hasn't cleared anything on Star Wars. They paid Lucas $4.6 billion for the franchise. It's not like that was a tax write-off, they need to make that money back. And their stockholders would prefer that they make it back sooner rather than later. Under-performing blockbusters aren't going to do that for them. I don't think it's any coincidence that Rian Johnson has been pushed out of the franchise and Abrams has been brought back.

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

I don't think it's any coincidence that Rian Johnson has been pushed out of the franchise and Abrams has been brought back.

Rumour has it he's back and charting out Episodes X-XII.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.