Sign in to follow this  
Missingno200

How do I download the demo?

Posted (edited)

I wanted to get my friend into KSP, and so I thought I'd direct him to download the demo, only to find that the demo is mysteriously missing from my searches. I know it exists, I just don't know where to get it, so where can I get it?

Edited by Missingno200

Moved to Kerbal Network.

3 hours ago, Missingno200 said:

I know it exists, I just don't know where to get it, so where can I get it?

If you have an account on Steam, try this link:

https://help.steampowered.com/en/wizard/HelpWithGame/?appid=231410

It's some time since I did it myself, however.

But you can always use the steam console, command Download_Depot. There're some threads here about, search for download_Depot.  I'm on mobile now, can't help further.

Posted (edited)
On 4/18/2019 at 10:45 PM, Missingno200 said:

It's not working. I can install Codename Gordon just fine but I cannot install the KSP demo for some reason.

Yeah, something has changed. Well, let's do it by brute force. :) 

Open your browser, then type on the URL: "steam://nav/console" (you must have the Steam Client installed and be logged with a valid account):

RVnCeNQ.png

fOaHuQJ.png

A console window will be opened.

gn91yxS.png

Then you type

• For Windows:
    • download_depot 231410 231411 3859944795558289390
  • For OSX:
    • download_depot 231410 231412 6852429098021599567
  • For Linux:
    • download_depot 231410 231413 5044678154870588290

And enter. I had to type letter by letter, the copy and paste for some reason didn't worked for me! :D 

There will be no feedback until it finishes (or when something wrong happens)

The picture below shows me downloading the OSX version.

i04x0Bq.png

This will download the "raw depot" for the game into your machine. Pay attention on the console, when finished it will print the directory where it downloaded the thingy on the machine (see the picture above). Now you can move it to the place you want it.

I want to bring your attention to what follows:

• You must use a valid Steam Account for it
  • You must not share your Steam Account with your friend, he/she must create his/her to do it
  • No Add'Ons allowed. Only Kerbol, Kerbin and Mün. No airplanes, just VAB and rocket parts.
    • Believe me, it's enough for the demo. :) 

Otherwise you will be in license infringement (both Steam's and KSP's).

Also please note:

• The Demo is based on the 1.0 release, pretty outdated but yet fun! But for some reason Squad is somewhat ashamed of it. Please ask your friend to write Squad telling how much he/she liked the Demo, and how important it was to decide to buy the game.
    • By the Kerbol that Enlighten us all, it was the Demo that compelled me to buy the game. :) 
      • I spend 3 months abusing the Demo doing every trick I could. Lots of fun, no regrets. :D 
  • Remember that the Demo only allows ONE savegame. You create another, it deletes the older.
    • Yeah. I learnt this the hard way. :sticktongue:

Homepage post: http://ksp.lisias.net/blogs/tech-support/KSP-Demo-10/Download
Imgur post: https://imgur.com/gallery/MCb4twS

Edited by Lisias
tyops. Who would guess it? :D

I had no plans to share my account, but thank you! This is the exact guide I needed for him!

14 hours ago, Lisias said:

The Demo is based on the 1.0 release, pretty outdated but yet fun! But for some reason Squad is somewhat ashamed of it. Please ask your friend to write Squad telling how much he/she liked the Demo, and how important it was to decide to buy the game.

Has the 1.0 demo been pulled? I just tried this for giggles on the Linux version, and ended up with the original 0.18 demo that I played (although the space centre looks even older)

Don’t worry, they’re working on a new version!  They’ll let us know.