How do I download the demo?

Missingno200

I wanted to get my friend into KSP, and so I thought I'd direct him to download the demo, only to find that the demo is mysteriously missing from my searches. I know it exists, I just don't know where to get it, so where can I get it?

Edited by Missingno200

On 4/18/2019 at 2:22 PM, Missingno200 said:

I know it exists, I just don't know where to get it, so where can I get it?

If you have an account on Steam, try this link:

[snip]

It's some time since I did it myself, however.

But you can always use the steam console, command Download_Depot. There're some threads here about, search for download_Depot.  I'm on mobile now, can't help further.

Edited by Vanamonde

14 hours ago, Lisias said:

The Demo is based on the 1.0 release, pretty outdated but yet fun! But for some reason Squad is somewhat ashamed of it. Please ask your friend to write Squad telling how much he/she liked the Demo, and how important it was to decide to buy the game.

Has the 1.0 demo been pulled? I just tried this for giggles on the Linux version, and ended up with the original 0.18 demo that I played (although the space centre looks even older)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Update. It was realized that you can only download the KSP Demo if you had done it in the past. Newcomers will not be able to download it, since the KSP demo was withdrawn from "sales" - a free game is a "sale" of 0USD. 

7cUZV5v.png

More detailes here:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
15 minutes ago, James Kerman said:

Welcome to the forum @paarth1, the demo is shareware and as such it is legal to download. I can not speak to how safe it is.

thanks for welcoming me ! i have the game but i want to refer a friend , is it legal to share a copy to my friend ?

2 minutes ago, paarth1 said:

i have the game but i want to refer a friend , is it legal to share a copy to my friend ?

I'm sorry but that would be a breach of the terms and conditions of the game and would be illegal. KSP is regularly heavily discounted on the various game platforms so if your friend can wait a little, I'm sure they can get a great deal.

On 5/1/2021 at 12:14 PM, James Kerman said:

I'm sorry but that would be a breach of the terms and conditions of the game and would be illegal. KSP is regularly heavily discounted on the various game platforms so if your friend can wait a little, I'm sure they can get a great deal.

thanks for helping

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 11:44 PM, James Kerman said:

True! It was once 9 USD. That's a big discount from the 40 USD. 

On 4/30/2021 at 11:21 PM, James Kerman said:

Welcome to the forum @paarth1, the demo is shareware and as such it is legal to download. I can not speak to how safe it is.

Ya. I have a copy of the Demo from Steam though. 

On 1/28/2020 at 10:13 PM, PotatoPCuser1 said:

You are still able to download it from softonic

Yeah and you're able to order iphones for free and win 25 trillion dollars from an email in my spam folder.

Softonic is one of the fishiest and most virus-infested sites out there.

If you want the demo so bad you're willing to scour Softonic for it, you might as well look on the forums. Someone (i forget who) had documented all Ksp versions on the KSP Forums up to 0.18 demo. (All versions before 0.18 weren't "sold" as KSP is now, they were free)

But please don't use Softonic.

Edited by krblman

Folks, there is NO free demo maintained by Squad or Take-Two. If you find them offered on a third party site, they might contain everything from bugs to malicious code. I would not recommend downloading it - because I certainly would not want to take a chance of downloading anything that even had the potential of harvesting my data or wreaking havoc on my system.

24 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Folks, there is NO free demo maintained by Squad or Take-Two. If you find them offered on a third party site, they might contain everything from bugs to malicious code. I would not recommend downloading it - because I certainly would not want to take a chance of downloading anything that even had the potential of harvesting my data or wreaking havoc on my system.

oh oh

• 1 year later...
35 minutes ago, Travisito23 said:

When I copy the command and paste it in steam, it just says "Depot download failed : missing license for depots 231411".

Welcome to the forum. :D

Unfortunately the info in this thread is years old so I've removed the links to avoid confusion. There is currently no demo version of the game available. Old ones may still be knocking around somewhere on the internet but using them is NOT ADVISABLE at this time, as they are likely to be full of malware. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.