Objects to include in a comprehensive Solar System Suite?

cubinator

I want to out-planet the Planet Suite. Holst's suite is great music, but focuses on the mythology for which the planets were named. Now that we know so much about the planets as actual worlds, I think we're in need of a true Solar System Suite.

I have a list of celestial bodies I want to include which offer a diverse perspective on the solar system as it truly is. Do you think I'm missing any particularly unique objects within our solar system which deserve a spot? Here is my list:

Spoiler

0. The Sun

1. Mercury

2. Venus

3. Earth

4. The Moon

5. a near-Earth asteroid like Bennu or Eros

6. 67P

7. Mars

8. Phobos

9. 16 Psyche, the precious metal asteroid

10. Ceres

11. Jupiter

12. Amalthea

13. Io

14. Europa

15. Saturn

16. Pan

17. Enceladus

18. Titan

19. Iapetus

20. Hyperion

21. the ringed asteroid Chariklo

22. Uranus

23. Miranda

24. Neptune

25. Triton

26. Pluto

27. Charon

28. Ultima Thule

29. Haumea

30. the edge of the Solar System

A note- this won't be finished for some time. 

Edited by cubinator

4 hours ago, cubinator said:

I think we're in need of a true Solar System Suite.

- The Sun

- Each of 4 (5 ?) terrestrial planets (or "planets")

- Asteroid Belt (+ Trojans & Inside Mars ?)

- Jupiter

- Larger moons of Jupiter

- Saturn

- Larger moons of Saturn

- Uranus

- Larger moons of Uranus

- Neptune

- Larger moons of Neptune

- Extra-short period comets (ie. 67P)

- Short-period comets (ie. Halley)

- Long-period comets

- KBO (plutinos ?)

- Sedna (& Beyond)

(+ Planet Nine ???)

Not sure about putting a more narrowed bodies list, think many of them can be summed up in one... but we'll always know that we'll find more in the future.

3 hours ago, YNM said:

- The Sun (good to go)

- Each of 4 (5 ?) terrestrial planets (or "planets") (got each)

- Asteroid Belt (+ Trojans & Inside Mars ?) (Eros for NEOs, Psyche and Ceres covering the belt)

- Jupiter (yup)

- Larger moons of Jupiter (got Io and Europa. Ganymede and Callisto seems a little redundant, as they're also ice moons)

- Saturn (got it)

- Larger moons of Saturn (I took a variety of moons)

- Uranus (yep)

- Larger moons of Uranus (Just Miranda for now, I'll look into whether any others are as interesting)

- Neptune (yup)

- Larger moons of Neptune (Triton for sure, not sure about any others)

- Extra-short period comets (ie. 67P) (67P is on the list)

- Short-period comets (ie. Halley) (Halley isn't much different from 67P other than being brighter...I guess it has historical significance though)

- Long-period comets (I feel like I can sum up the comets in one piece (or maybe two lobes stuck together ;) ))

- KBO (plutinos ?) (got Haumea and Pluto-Charon, Haumea is interesting because of the fast spin. Others like Eris I feel are similar enough to Pluto.)

- Sedna (& Beyond) (If I were to do another KBO, it'd probably be Sedna. For Beyond, I was thinking the heliopause)

(+ Planet Nine ???) (since its as yet unconfirmed, I'm not explicitly putting it in right now)

Placed my comments in bold.

Edited by cubinator

45 minutes ago, cubinator said:

(Halley isn't much different from 67P other than being brighter...I guess it has historical significance though)

67P/C-G is less fresh than Halley - Halley's period is 76 years while 67P/C-G is only like 7 years. I know this does classifiy them both as a short-period comet (as in, we've seen them go 'round the sun), but their aphelions are very different.

7 minutes ago, YNM said:

67P/C-G is less fresh than Halley - Halley's period is 76 years while 67P/C-G is only like 7 years. I know this does classifiy them both as a short-period comet (as in, we've seen them go 'round the sun), but their aphelions are very different.

Yes, but in terms of what it's like to be there, you'd probably see rocks and the ejecta and the sun on either one, and I cover being far from the sun later. Maybe I should do Halley, then, but using what we've learned from 67P.

@RealKerbal3x I think adding the Oort cloud is a good idea too.

Edited by cubinator

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.