Need a few tips as I return to KSP after years away

GungaDin

I'm returning to KPS after a few years away. I was really into it when it first came out and reached a point where I could actually rendezvous (but never quite learned to dock).

Anyway I would appreciate some advice on getting set up again. My goal is to set things up so that I can do a career with things set up as realistic as possible in terms of actual planet names and historic parts.

1 - What mods would you recommend to recreate our solar system names.

2 - I have the "making History' expansion installed but how do I got about using those parts from within a career? (It's OK to mix in standard Kerbal parts as long as I can also use a Gemini capsule if you see what I mean.)

3 - What other navigation, construction or just cool mods would you recommend?

4 - Is there a co-op aspect to the game now and if so how is that employed?

Thanks for any answers and give me a wide berth as a sally forth!

2 minutes ago, GungaDin said:

I'm returning to KPS after a few years away. I was really into it when it first came out and reached a point where I could actually rendezvous (but never quite learned to dock).

Welcome back!

1 - What mods would you recommend to recreate our solar system names.

The mod you're looking for is Kopernicus, and with it Real Solar System if you want real sizes, or Stock Sized Real Solar System if you want the smaller planets, so Earth is roughly the size of Kerbin. It's a bit of a rabbit hole though so prepare to do a lot of reading, installing, testing, uninstalling, reinstalling, and whatnot of various mods and configs.

2 - I have the "making History' expansion installed but how do I got about using those parts from within a career? (It's OK to mix in standard Kerbal parts as long as I can also use a Gemini capsule if you see what I mean.)

Nope they'll just show up in the appropriate tech tree nodes, or just show up in the VAB if you're in sandbox.

3 - What other navigation, construction or just cool mods would you recommend?

There are hundreds. I made this half-jokingly years ago but it's also a pretty good list of all the mods you're likely to get recommended.

KSP MOD BINGO
B I N G O
Contract
Configurator
Konstruction Kerbal Joint
Reinforcement
Waypoint
Manager
Visual
Enhancements
(Any)

Any Kopernicus Packs
(inc. Realism
Overhaul)

Any Fuel
Balance /
Pump
Real
Solar
System
Extraplanetary
Launchpads
Precise
Node /
Maneuver
Kerbal Attachment /
Inventory System
Docking Port
Alignment
Indicator

FREE
SPACE
(ModuleManager)

Strategia RCS
Build
Aid

Kerbal
Engineer
Redux

Transfer
Window
Planner
MechJeb Kerbal
Alarm
Clock
Procedural
Anything
Distant
Object
Enhancement
Life
Support
(Any)
Editor
Extensions
Anything
ending in
-atterer
Better
Burn Time

4 - Is there a co-op aspect to the game now and if so how is that employed?

There's a mod called Dark Multiplayer and I even saw activity on it this week, saying they had it working in 1.7. I have no experience with it though so won't say more.

On 4/20/2019 at 7:48 PM, GungaDin said:

What other navigation, construction or just cool mods would you recommend?

Lots of good advice from 5thHorseman above.  :)  One other suggestion I might make... depending on how long you've been away, the game may have changed quite a bit.  So you might want to consider playing stock for a little while, just to familiarize yourself with what the "base" looks like before jazzing it up with mods.  Major new things added to the game in recent years (for varying definitions of "recent"):

• KSP 1.0 was a hugely transformative event-- it added a completely new aerodynamics model, plus re-entry heating.  Playing post-1.0 KSP is almost like a completely different experience from pre-1.0 KSP, you nearly need to learn rocket design all over again.  ;)
  • KSP 1.2 added CommNet, which (depending on what degree of "realism" / difficulty you set it to) can add a whole new dimension to the game.

There are also lots of little "quality of life" things, but those are probably the two biggest changes in terms of actual gameplay, so if your last KSPing was before either of those, it would be worth taking some time to familiarize yourself with them.

Welcome back!

lots of good advice here already, and I also recommend playing basically stock. But the two quality-of-life mods I found I really wanted when trying to play stock are Kerbal Alarm Clock and Navball Docking Alignment Indicator (makes docking much easier without taking up screen space)

BetterBurnTime is also handy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.