Is procedural rocket engines possible?

Nivee~

So, Simple Rockets 2 dropped the following bomb.

Considering it's perhaps one of the only competition in this genre, we must reply in kind.. So, is anyone up for building a procedural rocket engine mod? And for that matter, is it possible to make such a mod for KSP?

At one point I used Procedural Parts for the Procedural SRB. I could customize not only the SolidFuel stack but the nozzle size, for thrust anyway I don't remember if I could customize the Isp...

If this still exists in the current forks of that mod you could do a little MM magic, make a Liquid version and get rolling.

It would definitely be possible, but would it be fun?

Even with Proceedural Tanks I end up spending too much time fiddling with sizes to get things just right, with a proceedural engine, presumably with adjustable Thrust, mass, and ISP, the optimization would be endless, and that would cut into actual flight time.

1 hour ago, Nightside said:

It would definitely be possible, but would it be fun?

Even with Proceedural Tanks I end up spending too much time fiddling with sizes to get things just right, with a proceedural engine, presumably with adjustable Thrust, mass, and ISP, the optimization would be endless, and that would cut into actual flight time.

As a person who actually has a copy of SR2 i can confirm - even before i flew my first flight, i was spending far too mcuh time tweaking everything to get maximum dv possible.

But the procedural tanks they have are much easier to use than anything - they would make better 3d modelling software than anything. But it gets kinda time-consuming.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but simplerockets 2 (notice how I intentionally choose to not capitalize it out of disrespect) is not anything near competition to the Kerbal Space Program (notice how every word is capitalized because it is more than qualified to be a proper noun), so a response is not ever required of anything of a “bombshell” the devs of that KSP-ripoff-but-probably-not-a-ripoff-though-it-intensely-aggravates-me game decide to drop. simplerockets 2 is never going to be a KSP-killer, I respect the work that the devs put into it, but I don’t want squad to need to have a need compete with a low-budget newbie company that clearly is trying unsuccessfully to be better than the best.

The procedural parts mod adds a parameter-editable SRB

29 minutes ago, Fraston said:

simplerockets 2 (notice how I intentionally choose to not capitalize it out of disrespect)...

...Kerbal Space Program (notice how every word is capitalized because it is more than qualified to be a proper noun)...

...I don’t want squad to need to have a need compete...

Wai you disrespect Squad?

;)

KSP "copied" Orbiter. SR2 "copied" KSP. There are no original thoughts it all comes down to what you prefer.

Edited by 5thHorseman

• 4 weeks later...

There is a Realistic engine packs on SR2 
All of the following engines were made by MarioG

Here is the full list
- RL-10A
- RL-10B
- Vinci
- Vulcain 1
- LR-87
- RS-25
- YF-100
- RD-191
- BE-3
- BE-3U
- BE-4
- RD-0120
- J-2
- J-2X
- RS-68A
- RS-68B
- F-1
- MERLIN 1D
- RAPTOR
- AM LINEAR AEROSPIKE
- RD-180
- RD-170
- RD-858

i92qP89.pngMZPQN2e.pngXxI1Zuh.png

Credit: MarioG

All Images were taken from SR2 forum

Edited by DarkPK

5 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Aside from being slightly off topic, how does this answer the OP's question about bringing procedural engines to KSP?

It does shows the crazy potential of Procedural engines in making realistic replica of rocket engines.

• 3 weeks later...

It is absolutely possible to do and there has been a lot of work on it by some people (namely @ferram4): https://github.com/ferram4/ProcEngines/tree/master/ProcEngines

Also @soundnfury has made a different style, but much simplified version: 

What it really boils down to is that the mathematics behind it, and everything that affects it, and the limitations based on materials and technologies, and the fact that it is ACTUAL rocket science is the reason it is such a high barrier of entry to get one completed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2019 at 4:54 AM, Fraston said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but simplerockets 2 (notice how I intentionally choose to not capitalize it out of disrespect) is not anything near competition to the Kerbal Space Program (notice how every word is capitalized because it is more than qualified to be a proper noun), so a response is not ever required of anything of a “bombshell” the devs of that KSP-ripoff-but-probably-not-a-ripoff-though-it-intensely-aggravates-me game decide to drop. simplerockets 2 is never going to be a KSP-killer, I respect the work that the devs put into it, but I don’t want squad to need to have a need compete with a low-budget newbie company that clearly is trying unsuccessfully to be better than the best.

The procedural parts mod adds a parameter-editable SRB

The sheer childish of this comment gave me a terrible headache.

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2019 at 10:05 PM, DarkPK said:

There is a Realistic engine packs on SR2 
All of the following engines were made by MarioG

Here is the full list
- RL-10A
- RL-10B
- Vinci
- Vulcain 1
- LR-87
- RS-25
- YF-100
- RD-191
- BE-3
- BE-3U
- BE-4
- RD-0120
- J-2
- J-2X
- RS-68A
- RS-68B
- F-1
- MERLIN 1D
- RAPTOR
- AM LINEAR AEROSPIKE
- RD-180
- RD-170
- RD-858

i92qP89.pngMZPQN2e.pngXxI1Zuh.png

Credit: MarioG

All Images were taken from SR2 forum

thank you for posting about my engine pack and giving credit :) ,  with the advent of modding support in SR2 ive made a succesor to this mod called realistic engine overhaul, a link to it can be found [here](https://www.simplerockets.com/Mods/View/32233/Realistic-Engine-Overhaul)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.