Stock ILS with auto land

I’m curious

Iknow already about how some players position one or more beacons at the end of the runway to help themselves align up with it on approach.  I was wondering if someone turned on SAS and set the beacon to be the target, would the SAS automatically fly the plane to the runway, leaving the player to just manage the throttle, landing gear, and flaps until a certain point above the ground where the player would turn off SAS, throttle to idle and flare the plane for landing?  Please tell me if this makes any sense or is complete nonsense.

Edited by ErinBensen

No, the SAS will point the nose of the aircraft at your runway marker, but the craft will probably not stay on the glide-slope. 
Depending on airspeed, the direction of motion of the craft will be a little above or below the direction it is pointing.

A flag or something at the end of the runway is still very useful (best put just off the sloped ground around the runway, so the runway counts as clear for the next launch).   You can use it as an approach marker because it appears on the nav-ball;  keep it 6° below the horizon to fly a 6° glideslope.   

Be careful, though that if the speed indicator switches to 'target' mode it (sometimes) indicates speed plus the velocity of rotation of the planet.  (It wrongly tells your velocity relative to the center of the planet that your target it sitting on, but only sometimes.)  Keep the speed indicator in 'surface' mode to give you true airspeed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.