A Kerbal Book Series-You Interested?

Disparia Books

@Disparia Books I think you should just continue the project as an isolated thing. I am no expert in all of this book publishing bureaucracy, but I can deduce that maybe number 4 is the least damaging choice.

edit: after listening to people who clearly are more aware of the situation, I am changing my advice for No 2

Edited by Rover 6428

Hey friends, @Rover 6428 @KSK @Alpha 360

Thank you very much for the input and consideration. I can see that option two is definitely leading. I can certainly do that, it will just require me to figure a few things out before I hit it again (shouldn't take long).

This isn't for a lack of trying, that's for sure. I've been working with PD/T2 for weeks trying to find the best way to manage this. And to their credit, I want to say everyone has been very helpful and considerate. It's that "you have reached an impenetrable wall of copyright protection. Your weapons are innefective" situation. I'm going to think on things for a few days and let you all know what I plan on doing. In the meantime I will see what anyone else has to say.

But know how much I appreciate the feedback and support! Cheers all.

Edited by Disparia Books
names

Hey friends,

I'm back. I've thought long and hard about this, but I've come to a decision. I've decided to go ahead and ditch the Kerbal IP and write an entirely new book series. I know, I know, none of you suggested that option...but yeah, that's the best bet for my future and goals. I'm going to take what I have written already and completely separate it from Kerbal in any way, and continue with my thematic elements in a completely new, unique, and original world (pun intended). I'm going to keep the humor, but start an entirely new book series, one that allows me to have more freedom to provide high quality content that will appeal to EVERYONE, not just KSP fans.

That being said, I do realize I'm going to be losing a HUGE audience of KSP space nerds (like me). And I hope that those of you who have become interested in the project both understand why I'm doing it, and continue to follow it in its new setting. With that, i will be moving all discussion of the project off of the KSP forums (though I will still be around, so if you want to chat, ask questions, or anything else I'm here everyday) and onto my new Discord server [snip]. If you are interested in learning more I urge you to join up. In the coming days and weeks, as I shift focus and begin to plan my new strategy I will become more involved with Discord and have more information.

I will also be starting a Patreon page focused entirely on this new work. The support prices will be small (1-5 dollars for basic tiers). And I encourage any and all of you who want to see this move forward to not only support the project, but tell your friends and family and some strangers about it. Look for info on the Patreon link both here and on Discord (and my website, and social, and everything else, naturally) this week.

Know how much I appreciate the support I've had and all the kind words. I'm not someone who takes that for granted and I appreciate all my friends here. Thank you for all your support.

--Bonn

[snip]

PS-----here's a quick teaser of the prologue to the new book.

-------------------------------

What happens when you don’t like your neighbors? You move (or you take every opportunity to annoy them until you’ve worn down their will to live and they move before you do). But what happens when you don’t like any of your neighbors. Like, any of them? And then what do you do if moving halfway around the world is too close? Easy, you move to another planet.

Or at least you would, if you could get there. Jumping can, at best, only get you a meter off the ground. Jumping off a cliff might technically make you feel like you’re flying, but that flight won’t last long. And you can’t really drive there since nobody’s built a road to the moon yet (and that sounds pretty difficult even if you use sticky tape and stuff).

With enough mental fortitude, hard work, and determination you can do anything you want. If that thing you want just happens to be going to another planet, you’ll eventually do it. How? That’s the easy part, figuring out the technological bits. The hard part is the dream.

Or is that the wrong way round? Is the hard part the technology and figuring out how to get there? Hmm, that’s worth considering. Either way, you’re bound to reach your goals eventually, as long as you don’t ever give up.

Just don’t forget the pudding.

Edited by Gargamel
Portions Redacted by Moderator

Hey Bonn,

Managed to miss your latest update until last night - sorry about that.

Completely understand your reasons although I am sad to see a promising looking kerbal tale nipped in the bud.  :(  The crazy thing is, that I'm betting you didn't / don't have to do very much to separate your story from KSP.

Best of luck with the new project, wherever it takes you!

Edit: And because I wrote that without the benefit of caffeine, it didn’t come out quite right. Should have added - ‘and I plan to be around to see’ or some such wording to the end.

Oops.

Edited by KSK

6 hours ago, KSK said:

Hey Bonn,

Managed to miss your latest update until last night - sorry about that.

Completely understand your reasons although I am sad to see a promising looking kerbal tale nipped in the bud.  :(  The crazy thing is, that I'm betting you didn't / don't have to do very much to separate your story from KSP.

Best of luck with the new project, wherever it takes you!

Edit: And because I wrote that without the benefit of caffeine, it didn’t come out quite right. Should have added - ‘and I plan to be around to see’ or some such wording to the end.

Oops.

Hey KSK,

no worries about swinging around late. That's the beauty of forums, right ;)

Separating it from KSP was pretty easy, given that the story exists as an idea itself, it was only wearing a green skin. Switching required a few tweaks to overall themes, but it works. That being said, the hard part is, you know, building a new world and solar system. Since I can't use KSP now I need to go through and make my own planets etc. Luckily that's what I absolutely LOVE to do, so it's a good thing.

As for the caffeine thing...I get it. Brain not work goodly in morning. If you want to keep in the loop I'd love to have you on the Discord (unless you're there now, because I haven't checked this morning...). Thanks for the support and we will stay in touch. Cheers!

I'll have to figure out this newfangled Discord thingy first. :)

But yeah, the worlds (and worldbuilding) in KSP aren't super detailed so if its what you love doing anyway, then I see no obvious problems! That green skin really isn't that thick when it comes right down to it.

well, if you are creating your own universe, make sure to make it really cool. It would be very fun to expand beyond the now existing technology, or have a lot more mystery! By the way, are the new characters going to be humans or some alien beings?

I made a fan fiction website for a possible KSP series on YouTube. You can have a look for inspiration: https://superand2004.wixsite.com/ukrsa

3 hours ago, Rover 6428 said:

well, if you are creating your own universe, make sure to make it really cool. It would be very fun to expand beyond the now existing technology, or have a lot more mystery! By the way, are the new characters going to be humans or some alien beings?

I made a fan fiction website for a possible KSP series on YouTube. You can have a look for inspiration: https://superand2004.wixsite.com/ukrsa

Hey Rover,

I will check out your website later this weekend; I always love some good FF :)

I've got some really fun ideas for the universe/solar system/world now that I can go any direction. And no, they aren't humans, they will be a race of short, chubby, teddy bear-like creatures who love snacks and adventure. Their chubby and furry bodies make it easy for them to withstand impacts and explosions from inevitable mishaps and justifies their need for constant snacking.

This should more or less give you an idea what to expect them to look like (though expect them to come in every color possible, from green and blue to pink and white:

20171215-140518.jpg

Edited by Disparia Books
added picture

On 4/24/2019 at 2:20 PM, Disparia Books said:

“A Kerbal is made up of bones, muscles, ligaments, skin, and about 20% chocolate pudding.

Chocolate pudding?

Hey all,

Just thought I'd send one last invitation to join the Discord server and check out Patreon. It might not be Kerbally anymore, but the funny space book lives on as Project Departure. I plan on releasing the first book in the series by the end of the year and I'm several chapters deep into the book. if you want to follow along with my progress, stay in touch, read the demo chapters, or support it, I'd love to see you there. And once again thank you all for the Kerbal-style support over the past months. Cheers!

[snip]

Edited by Gargamel
Portions Redacted by Moderator

• 4 years later...
On 5/10/2019 at 4:21 PM, Disparia Books said:

Hey Rover,

I will check out your website later this weekend; I always love some good FF :)

I've got some really fun ideas for the universe/solar system/world now that I can go any direction. And no, they aren't humans, they will be a race of short, chubby, teddy bear-like creatures who love snacks and adventure. Their chubby and furry bodies make it easy for them to withstand impacts and explosions from inevitable mishaps and justifies their need for constant snacking.

This should more or less give you an idea what to expect them to look like (though expect them to come in every color possible, from green and blue to pink and white:

20171215-140518.jpg

Cool guy!