[WIP] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - Next

Rudolf Meier

3 hours ago, Paadwyn said:

Alright, I put in the development build and tested it out.

The stutter happens on all craft. Even with the development build having all options turned off, it still stutters.

If I uninstall KJRn, the stuttering goes away. I'm wondering if it's memory related. I'm not quite full, but 10/12GB of ram being used.

I did see an error when loading a certain craft.

"Vessel SENTINEL was not loaded because it had the following parts missing: KJRAutoStrutHelper"

I've never installed Autostrut, I've got all the options currently disabled.

Which seems to happen upon exiting a vessel, not entering. It loads in the new vessel, but complains about the previous vessel not loading, but it did load.

this shouldn't happen... the KJRAutoStrutHelper ist a part that should be removed when you save the ship. Something must crash internally. I guess in this case the log could be useful... can you somehow upload it?

I will do that when I get home later, for sure.

I had cheated this test ship to 150K orbit to run my tests (orbital workshop and all), I switched to the other vessels to check that error message and report it. The vessel I put in orbit, disappeared. Gone. Kerbals on board were reported as MIA.

Not entirely sure how that happened, been unable to replicate. I wonder if it's related to the "Vessel not loading" thing.

7 hours ago, Paadwyn said:

I will do that when I get home later, for sure.

I had cheated this test ship to 150K orbit to run my tests (orbital workshop and all), I switched to the other vessels to check that error message and report it. The vessel I put in orbit, disappeared. Gone. Kerbals on board were reported as MIA.

Not entirely sure how that happened, been unable to replicate. I wonder if it's related to the "Vessel not loading" thing.

It's related to the KJRAutoStrutHelper "part". As soon as that fires it seems to kill the affected vessel and all its crew!

6 minutes ago, fronbow said:

It's related to the KJRAutoStrutHelper "part". As soon as that fires it seems to kill the affected vessel and all its crew!

this part is just a temporary object... it normally doesn't exist when a scene is unloaded (like the KJR joints) ... everything is just temporary... if it's not removed, then... well... no idea why... if a ship is saved, I'm removing it... and also when it goes on rails... this should already solve everything

I can somehow destroy a savegame (rare situations) ... I try to look into this problem now

I will say this only seemed to happen when switching vessels in space. Like through Kerbal Alarm Clock.

If I dropped to the spaceport and go back to tracking station to load in, everything is fine.

But, I'll get that log in a few hours.

If this is the case, not checked myself yet, then maybe there needs to be some functionality for when vessel changing occurs? Like removing all temp joints on vessel change?
The only other thing I can think of would be to maybe make the KJR joints permanent for the vessel config until the scene changes?

5 minutes ago, fronbow said:

If this is the case, not checked myself yet, then maybe there needs to be some functionality for when vessel changing occurs? Like removing all temp joints on vessel change?
The only other thing I can think of would be to maybe make the KJR joints permanent for the vessel config until the scene changes?

that's what should happen already

I will be getting that log file PDQ.

This particular vessel was built almost entirely not using symmetry, but there was some on the solar panels, lights, antennas.

Here is the log file for the 4.0.3 dev build.

It might give insight into both the stuttering as well as the Autostrut vanishing.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14l2xDapugOzFm__QzH995MQmDZAUwQaZ

6 hours ago, Paadwyn said:

I will be getting that log file PDQ.

This particular vessel was built almost entirely not using symmetry, but there was some on the solar panels, lights, antennas.

Here is the log file for the 4.0.3 dev build.

It might give insight into both the stuttering as well as the Autostrut vanishing.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14l2xDapugOzFm__QzH995MQmDZAUwQaZ

thanks... unfortunatelly I cannot find any new information inside (except the list of installed mods which may help)...

question: can you store some quicksaves in the different situations? before undocking, after undocking, after first vessel transfer... things like that? ... then we can try to isolate the vessel information and maybe find out why it's stored in a wrong way...

in the meantime I will have a new version ready that's logging more... but, currently I still have no idea what's happening... everything I identify as a potential caus of this has been shown as being correct after long investigations

STOP

ok ok ok... I see now, that it does not work

I will try a new idea... we have so many bugs and incompatibilities and stupid behaviour in KSP! Modding is a constant "how can I work around this stupid behaviour"? ... especially if you try to build KJR or IR ... that's just a nightmare! ... or even "impossible" ... but I'm only interested in "impossible" project and I will find a solution... impossible... *pah*... it was also "impossible" to fly to the moon... the direct idea is death for KJR, now I try it with a LOR ;) ... if you understand what I mean

Heh, no problem.

I understand this stuff can be frustrating. I'm definitely not a programmer, heck...I barely understand code as it is. I do understand computers though.

I really like this mod because it gives a much more solid craft without having to add in more struts. Adding struts increases part counts. I prefer to try to keep the counts down as much as possible.

I'll provide what help I can, it isn't much..but testing is a big part, nonetheless.

after not so much luck with the last releases, the 4.0.4 which is out now should be better... many parts are completely new and all the reported bugs on the other versions have not been seen again

additionally there have been added a lot of security features which allow the system to work correctly even after a partial failure of things like game state saving

Edited by Rudolf Meier

17 minutes ago, Rudolf Meier said:

and they are always on for wheels

Others also bear in mind that autostruts can be one for other parts as well.  It is up to the mod maker who decides this.

You see "Autostrut Locked: Heaviest part" in the menu for autostruts.   I looked around and it seems that there isn't a way to patch the config to "autoStrut = false" the part module.  People have suggested patches/MM snippits, but people reported they don't work.  I reverted to 4.0.0 of JRnext and for now this solves the problem.  Wishing the best of luck to Rudolf on groking this silly API.

I wasn't sure of 4.0.4 also fixed the "AutoStuts Locked" problem so I installed KerbalJointReinforcement_dbg_v4.0.4.zip and tested it and I see that the problem still exists.  My basic first tier squad wheeled rover no longer flips of load, but the lander can is distorted on load.

I suppose its one thing at a time and you had to work out the DLC compatibility first and foremost.  Thanks for you hard work on this and doing what you can at this time to make improvements.   Back to 4.0.0.for me for the time being.

Hi ! My probe in geostationnay orbit of Minmus has just disappeared, due to switch to another vessel and then "Autostrut helper is missing" . I've seen I'm not the first one, so yes, it happenned only when switching vessels and yes, it's not happenning since I'm back to 4.0.0.

(and yes, thanks again for your work)

Edited by TarTi

44 minutes ago, TarTi said:

Hi ! My probe in geostationnay orbit of Minmus has just disappeared, due to switch to another vessel and then "Autostrut helper is missing" . I've seen I'm not the first one, so yes, it happenned only when switching vessels and yes, it's not happenning since I'm back to 4.0.0.

(and yes, thanks again for your work)

yeah, but that cannot be in 4.0.4... since this part is now no longer a temporary part but a real one... it should be in the parts folder of the KJR installation with exactely this name... that's one of the fallbacks I installed to prevent this

and I modified the game saving function, also to prevent this... cannot be that both fail

45 minutes ago, kurtu5 said:

I wasn't sure of 4.0.4 also fixed the "AutoStuts Locked" problem so I installed KerbalJointReinforcement_dbg_v4.0.4.zip and tested it and I see that the problem still exists.  My basic first tier squad wheeled rover no longer flips of load, but the lander can is distorted on load.

I suppose its one thing at a time and you had to work out the DLC compatibility first and foremost.  Thanks for you hard work on this and doing what you can at this time to make improvements.   Back to 4.0.0.for me for the time being.

ah, ok... what parts do you have there? legs? ... then I know what it is

Edited by Rudolf Meier

Rovemax Model S2.  I should have taken a screenshot of the rover on the runway with the debug menu up.  I saw purple lines going to the science parts and wasn't sure if that was salient.  Notable mods, KAS,KIS,MKS/OKS.  Detailed mods from my install log.   The top section is my install order and notes on compatibility stuff, the bottom has most of the installed mods listed; https://pastebin.com/FrXScanx

FOTaCSN.png

40 minutes ago, kurtu5 said:

Rovemax Model S2.  I should have taken a screenshot of the rover on the runway with the debug menu up.  I saw purple lines going to the science parts and wasn't sure if that was salient.  Notable mods, KAS,KIS,MKS/OKS.  Detailed mods from my install log.   The top section is my install order and notes on compatibility stuff, the bottom has most of the installed mods listed; https://pastebin.com/FrXScanx

*hmm* I see... I've built one that does it too... I don't understand the wheels and what they do, but since they're always strutted to the vessel with autostruts, we don't need KJR here... they work good enough... that's why KJR isn't touching the wheels and landinglegs anymore. (they completely changed how they work and I guess they will do this again in the future, so... it's better like this... and again: we don't need it)

but... this second problem... that comes from my new way of adding the joints (as I said, I'm not ready to release... I'm still working on it and because of the KJR thread shutdown and this DLC stuff I'm now doing what nobody should do... throw out software that's not very well tested... was a great idea).

anyway... that's why there's now this new problem inside the code... but I'm working on it

19 minutes ago, Rudolf Meier said:

Working back for me for the vanishing vessel switch ! thanks again for your work :) 

Edited by TarTi