Make a UFO

Challenges:

you've probably heard of someone who claims to have seen a UFO. The witnesses say that they are silent objects, which emanate from the light and have the shape of a plate. With these descriptions, builds a UFO that can stay on the spot for minutes.

Equipment: 

You can use all the playground equipment.

Time:

You have 9 weeks.

begenning:  26/04/2019

end: 29/05/2019

Settlement:

Make a photo album or video.

Thank you.  

Edited by DNKKING

Make a UFO, they said. It'll be easy, they said. It's totally not gonna explode on the launch pad, they said. :( 

ytcuujs.png

So, yeah. I tried to build a flying saucer with a stock propeller hidden inside. It works just fine without the fairing, but explodes as soon as I decouple the prop while it's inside the fairing. You win this time, KSP physics. :huh:

36 minutes ago, vyznev said:

Make a UFO, they said. It'll be easy, they said. It's totally not gonna explode on the launch pad, they said. :( 

ytcuujs.png

So, yeah. I tried to build a flying saucer with a stock propeller hidden inside. It works just fine without the fairing, but explodes as soon as I decouple the prop while it's inside the fairing. You win this time, KSP physics. :huh:

You can improved it

Edited by DNKKING

I would like to submit my flying saucer for this challenge. It’s got features including built in infinite fuel engines(that you can use without debug mode), walkable interior that lets your Kerbals stretch your legs without going outside.

I can’t get the imgur album on my phone but there’s an album posted on KerbalX:

https://kerbalx.com/goduranus/Flying-Saucer

Tu3vfE7.jpg

TvU7y4f.jpg

KSC has reported seeing small UFOs flying above the perimeter. They thought Jeb and Bill were pranking them again, but those two had alibis

• Jeb was in court appealing his driver's license getting revoked.
  • Bill is currently in-transit back to Kerbin from Eeloo.

They have searched their archives for crafts of similar design, but found none. Could we be getting probed by extraterrestrials?

On 4/29/2019 at 1:10 AM, Sky Vagrant said:

I made this a couple months ago, but made the video today to sell this as a UFO! Does it count?

Here is a longer post about the craft.

I really liked your landspeeder UFO thingy, so I decided to make my own version!

U7Ij37i.png

I hope you don't mind me stealing your design!  You know what they say about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, right?

Anyway, I went with a few somewhat different design choices in some places, most notably in making my version jet-powered.  With all that nice wing area, it flies great (at least with SAS on) and can stay in the air for up to 20 minutes or so.

I did include some Vernor thrusters on the bottom, so it can also hover like a proper landspeeder should.  In fact, you'll need them for takeoff and landing, since this thing has no landing gears!  To activate them, enable RCS and press K.  Just don't do it for too long, or you'll run out of oxidizer and crash. :sticktongue:

Here's a few screenshots of it in flight:

Spoiler

31EjGvQ.png

fDM5u7H.png

VEcz8qC.png

sx7IaIf.png

tfyPBzA.png

...and one after flight: :) 

OsuSmzY.png

More screenshots on imgur: https://imgur.com/gallery/WegMhbw

Craft file for testing and playing around with: https://pastebin.com/mp0MRbf1

45 minutes ago, vyznev said:

I really liked your landspeeder UFO thingy, so I decided to make my own version!

I hope you don't mind me stealing your design!  You know what they say about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, right?

Absolutely! You rock! Besides, I’m stealing from Hotweels and Lucasfilm:

uoWSjJj.jpg

Looks a lot more stable than mine, but it was an earlier build and I didn’t know about “advanced tweakables” then. Your monopropellant goo canister tubes look great! I’ve made a few RCS powered small vehicles, but I play on the Xbox and you have to use docking mode and switch between linear and rotational (i.e. no “k” key for me) so they only really work if you keep the same orientation (but still useful on Minmus and the like). 

I’d love to see some video of it in action! Unfortunately, I can’t download craft files on the Xbox or I would definitely take it for a spin.

Spoiler

31EjGvQ.jpg

Are there lights hidden on the craft or is that just RCS and sunlight? Either way, very cool pic!

EDIT: I just read the whole Imgur and I love the name “Clonespeeder”. That makes yours a prequel! I could see Captain Rex and Ahsoka standing on the wings and taking out droids! (I’m a big Clone Wars fan, so don’t take it the wrong way if you hate the Prequels.)

Edited by Sky Vagrant

1 minute ago, Sky Vagrant said:

Are there lights hidden on the craft or is that just RCS and sunlight? Either way, very cool pic!

Those are the Vernors in action. There's actually no monoprop on the craft, only the Vernors that burn LF+Ox from the central tank. They're pretty convenient things, in that they let you have an extra set of reasonably powerful engines that respond to a different set of keyboard controls than your main engine, allowing for things like "press K to hover". Well, at least if you're playing with a keyboard. :/ 

I'll try to record some video later, although I can't promise very high quality. :) 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.