[1.12.x] Docking Camera KURS Style Re-Adopted (Fixed in 1.9)

linuxgurugamer

I've re-adopted this mod, updated it for the latest versions of KSP.  @DennyTX is the original author of this.  I had adopted it a few years ago, and he came back about 1 1/2 years ago.  At the time I happily turned it back over to him.  Since then it has languished and  Denny has not responded to me at all.  So I've decided to re-adopt this again, this time I will hold on to it.  The mod has been renamed (see the title) to reflect that.  

Currently I've uploaded a version for KSP 1.4.5-1.6.1 to SpaceDock, this should become available in CKAN soon.  This version will NOT work in 1.7.0, I'll be uploading a 1.7.0 version in the next day or so.  The name on Spacedock cannot be changed due to the way that Spacedock works.

Original thread here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/124475-131-docking-camera-kurs-14feb18/

My previous thread here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/166305-131-*

Forum rules don't allow me to unlock my old thread

Dependencies

Availability

Changes and updates

• Nightvision and TV shaders are working again
  • TV shader replaced by a CRT shader
  • Updated obsolete code to new standards
  • Removed old Noise shaders, were replaced by code long time ago
  • Changed functionality of aux window when resizing, it now stays the way it is (ie: if open, will reopen when resizing is complete)
  • Added additional larger size
  • Changed camera rotation from 180 to 90 degrees (for the camera part)    
  • Removed extra level of directory from release (removed the OLDD directory)
  • Renamed directory to DockingCamKURS
  • Rewrote the ReadMe.md

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Thank you for your hard work! Ive really missed this mod.

Im a tad confused tho, perhaps you can help with that? Spacedock has this mod labeled as recently updated to 1.7, however ckan has it labeled for 'any' version so I checked out the version files.

1.3.4.0 is for ksp 1.4.5-1.6.1 correct?

can I assume 1.3.4.1 is for ksp 1.7+?

currently I need to check 1.6.1 compatibility in ckan for the mod to show up, however the version it gives is for 1.7.0 per your version file information. Just trying to make sure Im getting the proper version of the mod.

Also Im aware this thread is only a few hours old, so I apologize if I sound like im rushing things, I am more than happy to wait if things arnt ready. Im just going off of what I see on spacedock, and after reading the OP it made me go "huu??"

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:
  • Nightvision and TV shaders are working again
  • TV shader replaced by a CRT shader

And you said, @linuxgurugamer, that you probably would drop the color options. You rascal, you.

I tested the heck out of the docking cam and the 'ugly camera', which somehow now looks better. Did you work at the 3d model?

@Jesusthebird I too downloaded the CKAN version. I set my mind at ease when I saw that the mod owner, there, is listed as LinuxGG. If this were the older version, the name of the first developer would appear. 

@Daniel Prates oh I have lots of faith in LGG, hes done great and tremendous work over the time ive been on the forums. Im not doubting LGGs work, I just want to make sure Im getting my facts straight. ckan doesn't give the most precise information all the time and this thread title here doesn't state 1.7.0 yet, so I felt inclined to ask for a bit of clarification is all.

I dont have a career game to risk or anything. Im just asking, and I meen lets face it...if I dont get a reply...ill probably download it anyways :D. thats how much I miss this mod

2 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

Thank you for your hard work! Ive really missed this mod.

Im a tad confused tho, perhaps you can help with that? Spacedock has this mod labeled as recently updated to 1.7, however ckan has it labeled for 'any' version so I checked out the version files.

currently I need to check 1.6.1 compatibility in ckan for the mod to show up, however the version it gives is for 1.7.0 per your version file information. Just trying to make sure Im getting the proper version of the mod.

Also Im aware this thread is only a few hours old, so I apologize if I sound like im rushing things, I am more than happy to wait if things arnt ready. Im just going off of what I see on spacedock, and after reading the OP it made me go "huu??"

It's a bit confusing, so here is an explanation:

CKAN can't index more than one release of a mod at a time.  This mod actually needs some different code for 1.7 than 1.6.  So what I did was to do a release for 1.6 first, waited for it to be indexed by CKAN, and then bumped the version number and released it for 1.7.

Going forward, CKAN will only see the updates for 1.7, and will continue to use the 1.3.4 release of the mod for any 1.6 installs.  This unfortunately means that newer features will not be seen by users of CKAN.

The good news is that my build systems build versions of the mod for 1.4.5, 1.5.1, 1.6.1 and 1.7.0, they are all available on Github.  So what 1.6 players will need to do in the future will be to first install the mod, and then update it manually from github

2 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

Yes

2 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

And you said, @linuxgurugamer, that you probably would drop the color options. You rascal, you.

:D

2 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

I tested the heck out of the docking cam and the 'ugly camera', which somehow now looks better. Did you work at the 3d model?

Nope. it's the same as before

I may be a huge moron but...

This mod looks so cool and I can't get it to work...

I'm quite new with mods but I think my problems comes from the module manager, I run on KSP 1.4.2 so I downloaded Module Manager 4.0.2 aaaand, well I got the parts but right clicking them doesn't make anything, no GUI nor "camera : OFF" icon...

Anyone knows where I got it wrong ?

9 hours ago, BillMcGrath said:

I downloaded LinuxGuruGamer's version and it seems to be better but once I launch the game, I'm facing that... intriguing pop-up :

1556704921-cacapture.png

Log file would be useful, but it looks like you are running KSP 1.4.2?  If so, it's not supported.  The message is a bit unobvious, it's from the AVC and needs to be fixed a bit.

You can ignore the message, while not supported, it should be fine

Edited by linuxgurugamer

> I got the parts but right clicking them doesn't make anything, no GUI nor "camera : OFF" icon...

Same issue here, KSP 1.7. I had the right version of the mod.

I went through the MM logs and saw

[timestamps] Applying update DockingCamKURS/Parts/MM_KSPCamera/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode],!MODULE[DockingCameraModule]]:Final to Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPort/dockingPort.cfg/PART
// continue to other docking ports...

Then in KSP.log I saw matching logs that indicates some error:

[LOG 16:50:44.033] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPort/dockingPort/dockingPort2'
[ERR 16:50:44.040] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'DockingCameraModule'

[LOG 16:50:44.044] PartLoader: Part 'Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPort/dockingPort/dockingPort2' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 16:50:44.045] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'dockingPort2'

// Continue to other docking ports...

Hopefully this is useful.

Edited by flyfire2002

On 5/3/2019 at 8:11 PM, flyfire2002 said:

> I got the parts but right clicking them doesn't make anything, no GUI nor "camera : OFF" icon...

Same issue here, KSP 1.7. I had the right version of the mod.

I went through the MM logs and saw

[timestamps] Applying update DockingCamKURS/Parts/MM_KSPCamera/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode],!MODULE[DockingCameraModule]]:Final to Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPort/dockingPort.cfg/PART
// continue to other docking ports...

Then in KSP.log I saw matching logs that indicates some error:

[LOG 16:50:44.033] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPort/dockingPort/dockingPort2'
[ERR 16:50:44.040] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'DockingCameraModule'

[LOG 16:50:44.044] PartLoader: Part 'Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPort/dockingPort/dockingPort2' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 16:50:44.045] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'dockingPort2'

// Continue to other docking ports...

Hopefully this is useful.

Please post a link to the full log , snippets aren't useful because there is other information elsewhere in the log which aren't errors, but needed

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Please post a link to the full log , snippets aren't useful because there is other information elsewhere in the log which aren't errors, but needed

Pastebin:

MMPatch.log: https://pastebin.com/YETV3pBk

ModuleManager.log: https://pastebin.com/v5SLUrLC

KSP.log: https://pastebin.com/d5iqXNF4

Edited by flyfire2002
Google Drive to pastebin

On 5/6/2019 at 10:51 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Looks like you don't have the dependencies installed.  They were added to a previous version, so I didn't call it out in the OP, I'll add that now:

Dependencies

Done, it works while the orbit pe is below kerbin atmosphere, but as soon as the PE gets above 70k in Kerbin, after switching the screen (e.g. Map to vessel or vice versa, or change vessel), the cam shows only TV static, though docing params still shows up (partially; white texts are there, but the orange nav ball is replaced with 3 white '=compass-like things)

The log isn't super useful since it spams
[LOG 10:34:32.563] GetShader, type: None
[LOG 10:34:32.563] CurrentShader:

but here you go: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bPjOn66_njFFVp5L3Nb4Vn9vINH5CQ1d/view?usp=sharing

4 minutes ago, flyfire2002 said:

Done, it works while the orbit pe is below kerbin atmosphere, but as soon as the PE gets above 70k in Kerbin, after switching the screen (e.g. Map to vessel or vice versa, or change vessel), the cam shows only TV static, though docing params still shows up (partially; white texts are there, but the orange nav ball is replaced with 3 white '=compass-like things)

but here you go: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bPjOn66_njFFVp5L3Nb4Vn9vINH5CQ1d/view?usp=sharing

I’ll try to look into this later this evening.  In the meantime, it might be helpfil if you could post a short video showing the problems.  This will help me be sure that I understand the problems

3 hours ago, flyfire2002 said:

Ok.  I was just able to test it, and saw that when going into map view, the picture goes TV static.

however, switching vessels didn't do anything.  See the image below, the vessel was in a 100km orbit, and I have the docking camera active on both, each targeted to the other, and was able to switch back and forth without any problem.

I'll have to see if it can be shown on the map screen, otherwise I'll just have to disable it there

I'd still like to see your video, because from what you said, I'm not hitting all your cases.

RUA03VZ.png

All,

Please note that my version only works on 1.7 and newer, it was mislabeled in the title which I've fixed.

I'm working on an update with an updated .version file (among other things)

This mod DOES work on earlier versions, but you need to download the correct version

Edited by linuxgurugamer

11 hours ago, flyfire2002 said:

I can't reproduce the  vessel switch thing. I think it was compounded by the fact that the orbit was above 70k. I have a video for going from static to normal once going below 70k: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XKyic5_TnUcE_ttwbS-v6tJ3DCe1_mdf

Looks like for some reason the camera wasn't initialized.  Changing to map mode and back initialized it.

I'm working on an update, which includes UI scaling.  Interestingly, your video shows that it does work in map mode, so I'm going to have to take another look at that.

I'll be working on this during my stream this evening on Twitch, starting around 7pm Eastern

Hello,

I've installed Docking Camera KURS and all dependencies on my 1.7.0 install. When I right-clock on a docking port, I can click on "Docking Camera" to ON, the camera window opens but it shows nothing. I have set the docking port of my other ship as target and "control from here" from the docking port of my current ship. What am I doing wrong?

XR5KCFH.png

I hope someone can help me... =(

output_log.txt

Edited by TumiliuM

• 2 weeks later...

New release, 1.3.5

• Removed log spam
  • Add check for vessels undocking
  • Fixed check for vessels with cameras nearby
  • Changed default Noise setting to false for docking cameras
  • Added option to use the standard KSP skin
  • Removed Blizzy option from settings page (now controlled by ToolbarController)
  • Added UI scaling
  • Replaced the lower-right button which cycled through the sizes with two new buttons, one to increase and one to decrease the size
  • Added an "x" to close button in upper right
  • Fixed the rotators so they won't overlap in larger windows
  • Changed the KURS Camera Info window to only show data
  • Updated the wording in the window to properly reflect 1 or multiple (putting an s after vessel when appropriate)
  • Added InitWindow() to docking camera Activate()

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 1.3.5

• Removed log spam
  • Add check for vessels undocking
  • Fixed check for vessels with cameras nearby
  • Changed default Noise setting to false for docking cameras
  • Added option to use the standard KSP skin
  • Removed Blizzy option from settings page (now controlled by ToolbarController)
  • Added UI scaling
  • Replaced the lower-right button which cycled through the sizes with two new buttons, one to increase and one to decrease the size
  • Added an "x" to close button in upper right
  • Fixed the rotators so they won't overlap in larger windows
  • Changed the KURS Camera Info window to only show data
  • Updated the wording in the window to properly reflect 1 or multiple (putting an s after vessel when appropriate)
  • Added InitWindow() to docking camera Activate()

Thanks for the update! Does it mean the toolbar selector is no longer a hard dependency?