Mir Mod?

I will be making a new thread for the development of the project. I’ll put a link here when I do so!

MIR DEVELOPMENT THREAD —>

This thread was made to check for a demand on a Mir or ISS mod. Clearly mir has more demand given other mods already cover the ISS.

Edited by AverageUser54
Add new development thread link

Welcome to the forums, @spacefreak! This should be in Add-on Discussions, not Add-on Development. Would this mod be the entire ISS, or just the US or Russian segments? @benjee10 is working on HabTech2, which has the US segment and the truss. And @Beale has Tantares, which has parts to build Salyut/Mir/RSOS, among other things.

Edited by hieywiey

I'd say there is always demand for more cool parts, but if you are trying to find an unfilled niche, there are certainly a few gaps in the parts available to make a "compete" ISS model.

As other folks have mentioned there are already a few mods that address parts of the ISS. A couple other mods, SSTU and a  few of Nertea's mods (Near Future Construction+NF Solar+Station Parts Expanded Redux, or Shadowmage's SSTU also provide enough generic ISS-alike parts to make the primary modules of the station. 

I'd second Colbat's comment on the details, and add that there also isn't much available to build some the past/present/future spacecraft that service the station. 

@spacefreak, are you more interested in making stock-alike parts or realistic ones?

Edited by Nightside

@hieywieyI will move it to the addon discussions immediately.

@CobaltWolfI will keep that in mind when making this mod. 

@NightsideI am more interested in making hyper-realistic parts.

I am currently writing up a project flyer that will state the goals of this project. The flyer will be able to answer any questions you have about this project.

If you are serious about it, yes, a complete ISS mod that has both russian and american segments would be great.

It's a daunting task though which is why most use habtech and tantares together.

Smaller stuff would be nice as well to attach to it, experiment wise.

Good luck with it!

As far as the US segment goes, @benjee10 made a mod provides, or will provide, everything that is needed, plus some alternate history options. His CBM are a little simplified, but that's about it (if you're new to KSP modding, a proper gendered CBM compatible with his mod would likely be a good start). However, the Russian segment is currently extremely lacking, with the only up to date option being Tantares, which is poorly designed, doesn't provide adequate interiors and has inferior art quality. So if you were to make the Russian segment of the ISS, I'm sure it would be welcome. It's small, but there are many proposed and "alternate universe" options for expanding it. 

If you're serious about it, I should have some detailed information on it available, especially interiors.

Edited by Guest

21 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

As far as the US segment goes, @benjee10 made a mod provides, or will provide, everything that is needed, plus some alternate history options. His CBM are a little simplified, but that's about it (if you're new to KSP modding, a proper gendered CBM compatible with his mod would likely be a good start). However, the Russian segment is currently extremely lacking, with the only up to date option being Tantares, which is poorly designed, doesn't provide adequate interiors and has inferior art quality. So if you were to make the Russian segment of the ISS, I'm sure it would be welcome. It's small, but there are many proposed and "alternate universe" options for expanding it. 

If you're serious about it, I should have some detailed information on it available, especially interiors.

I am serious about this and I would like to know all the information you have regarding this. The one problem with habtech2, however, is that it is not RO compatible. I was planning on making these parts using their realistic values.

30 minutes ago, spacefreak said:

I am serious about this and I would like to know all the information you have regarding this. The one problem with habtech2, however, is that it is not RO compatible. I was planning on making these parts using their realistic values.

That's easy enough to fix. They're almost exactly 64% of real scale. You can write a ModuleManager patch to change that, and also adjust the stats (RO works like that, in fact). I was planning to do something like that someday, but I'm on a forced break from KSP because of hardware trouble. Interiors can be rescaled in config, as well, for ISS it's just a matter of editing scaling and masses (minus any advanced gameplay stuff such as life support, which needs to be adjusted separately). Focus on ROS and maybe later on Mir, they're in dire need of a realistic, high-definition models.

I'll send over details over PM, later on. Generally, you've got two or three basic pressure hulls (DOS, long TKS, short TKS, the latter isn't used on ISS), two secondary modules (Rassvet/SPP/MIR DC and Pirs/Poisk) and several exterior parts that bolt onto that. Thermal blankets for everyone, of course, so make sure you can match HabTech2's quality with them. Do make sure to use the reflective shader for solar panels. DOS pressure hull is actually the same length as Salyut 1, the additional length comes from fuel tanks in the rear (best done as separate parts).

Also note, it seems like "hyper-realism" like with DECQ's mods doesn't get much traction. It's easy to get bogged down in rivet counting, and hard to make it reconfigurable without the number of part variants exploding. Best aim for something like HabTech2. However, realistic functionality (gendered ports, soft docking, that sort of thing) is very much in demand.

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.