[1.7.x] Hyper Propulsion Sci-Fi parts pack

KerboNerd

Hyper Propulsion "CYREXSci-Fi parts pack (Current ver. 0.0.3)

Say hello to the lineup of the "CYREX" thermonuclear engines! Utilizing super efficient Thermonuclear reactors, these engines are capable of many useful things! Why don't u give them a try yourself?QbGYksM.png

A bit about the mod

This pack includes many Sci-Fi inspired parts for KSP! Take on a journey to explore other planets with ease using the "CYREX" engines! Based on fictional resources, HyperProp utilizes the use of ThermoNuclear reactors in the name of space propulsion systems and many more interesting parts!

This pack will be updated from time to time, so be sure to stick around for some cool updates in the future!

Main CYREX album

https://imgur.com/a/oSxBB7u

Parts in this modpack

• Spoiler

•  HPHFNE-01 "HyperProp" ThermoNuclear engine "CYREX"
    •  HPHFNE-02 "HyperProp" ThermoNuclear engine "CYREX-M"
    •  HPHFNE-03 "HyperProp" ThermoNuclear engine "CYREX-S"
    •  NPTRAM-01 "HyperProp" Neptunium Gas RAM intake
    •  HPJT-01 HyperPlutonium Fuselage
    •  "HyperProp" CYREX 1.25m/MK1 engine adapter
    •  HPSFA-02 "HyperProp" CYREX MK2 engine adapte
    •  HPSFA-01 "HyperProp" CYREX 3.75m engine adapter
    •  VRTX-1 "HyperProp" Hyper Plutonium Nuclear Multi-Mode Jet engine
    •  NPTRAM-03 "HyperProp" Air/Neptunium Gas Hybrid RAM intake
    •  NPTRAM-04 "HyperProp" Air/Neptunium Gas Hybrid RAM intake adapter
    •  NPTRAM-02 "HyperProp" Neptunium Gas RAM intake (Updated design)
    •  HPBLD-01 "HyperProp" B.L.A.D.E ThermoNuclear Jet engine

Well know Issues

•  CYREX-S slightly offset from center node. (doesn't affect use)
  •  VRTX-1 Jet engine has a problem of not jumping to low thrust mode upon flame-out of the atmospheric jet
  •  Tech Tree not yet configured for the parts

Required Mods

• Smart Actuators 
  • Module Manager
  • Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (recommended)
  • B9 part switch

Installation

1. Place the folders from the downloaded folder into your game's "GameData" folder.
  2. If asked to replace files, do so.

Get it here:

GitHub: https://github.com/KerboNerd/KNI-HP-CYREX/releases

SpaceDockhttps://spacedock.info/mod/2137/Hyper Propulsion Sci-Fi engine pack

Thanks Kottabos for reviewing the mod!

Be sure let me know about the bugs you run into! That really helps the further development of the mod!

Post any issues/bugs/errors here:

https://github.com/KerboNerd/KNI-HP-CYREX/issues

Edited by KerboNerd

Hi, went and played with your mod. I mostly play Career mode so a bit overpowered for me. These are the issues I found and some suggestions. The issues I posted on Github, the other that were not so much issues and more suggestion are below.

Spoiler

Could not select your mod on CKAN to install. No box to select. I had to go back to the CKAN KSP 1.2 compatability to install the mod. Not sure what is going on. I tried several versions of CKAN. So I went and installed from Spacedock.

Had to google search "Smart Actuators", was not on Spacedock. Did find an old version on CKAN for KSP 1.3.0 and a KSP 1.4.5 Smart Actuators v1.1.1 on the forums. I installed V1.1.1 manually.

I installed Module Manager, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement(continued), and B9 Part switch from CKAN.

GameData/KerboNerdLaboratories/Parts/Aero/air_npt_intake_cone/ramAirIntake/MPTINT-01
GameData/KerboNerdLaboratories/Parts/Aero/nptRAMnextGen/ramAirIntake/NPTRAM-02
GameData/KerboNerdLaboratories/Parts/Aero/megaIntake/ramAirIntake/NPTRAM-03
GameData/KerboNerdLaboratories/Parts/Aero/megaIntakeAdapter/ramAirIntake/NPTRAM-04

These have this unused module in parts.
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleAnimationGroup
        deployAnimationName = 
        activeAnimationName = 
        moduleType = Filter
    }

Looking at your assets, they are all in .png, might want change them to .dds when you are able. Some of the folders are 20Mb for one part. A 2048 x 2048 resolution size, and some textures are just one solid color. I would try to reduce the resolution sizes where needed and maybe change to using the model format. Stuff textures into one Asset folder and try to reuse some of them. ie.

MODEL
    {
        model = KerboNerdLaboratories/Parts/Engines/scifiVORTEX/engine
        texture = CapacitorTEX, KerboNerdLaboratories/Parts/Assets/CapacitorTEX
    }

I loaded your mod 6 times to test the weight of your mod. Three times with, three times without and took the average. With your mod I am at around 4,900MB. Without your mod, I am at around 4,400MB. So about 500MB used memory on my system of Window 10.

Not needed or a problem, but maybe Rename part.cfg files same as part so I can find them easier?

Also maybe add tweakscale as a patch instead of built in part? I do not use tweakscale, so I get a cannot find tweakscale module errors.

@PART[scifi-02,scifis-03,scifirad-04]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = TweakScale
    type = free
    }
}

Thank you for the mod.

6 hours ago, Barar said:

Hi, went and played with your mod. I mostly play Career mode so a bit overpowered for me. These are the issues I found and some suggestions. The issues I posted on Github, the other that were not so much issues and more suggestion are below.

Reveal hidden contents

Could not select your mod on CKAN to install. No box to select. I had to go back to the CKAN KSP 1.2 compatability to install the mod. Not sure what is going on. I tried several versions of CKAN. So I went and installed from Spacedock.

Had to google search "Smart Actuators", was not on Spacedock. Did find an old version on CKAN for KSP 1.3.0 and a KSP 1.4.5 Smart Actuators v1.1.1 on the forums. I installed V1.1.1 manually.

I installed Module Manager, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement(continued), and B9 Part switch from CKAN.

GameData/KerboNerdLaboratories/Parts/Aero/air_npt_intake_cone/ramAirIntake/MPTINT-01
GameData/KerboNerdLaboratories/Parts/Aero/nptRAMnextGen/ramAirIntake/NPTRAM-02
GameData/KerboNerdLaboratories/Parts/Aero/megaIntake/ramAirIntake/NPTRAM-03
GameData/KerboNerdLaboratories/Parts/Aero/megaIntakeAdapter/ramAirIntake/NPTRAM-04

These have this unused module in parts.
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleAnimationGroup
        deployAnimationName = 
        activeAnimationName = 
        moduleType = Filter
    }

Looking at your assets, they are all in .png, might want change them to .dds when you are able. Some of the folders are 20Mb for one part. A 2048 x 2048 resolution size, and some textures are just one solid color. I would try to reduce the resolution sizes where needed and maybe change to using the model format. Stuff textures into one Asset folder and try to reuse some of them. ie.

MODEL
    {
        model = KerboNerdLaboratories/Parts/Engines/scifiVORTEX/engine
        texture = CapacitorTEX, KerboNerdLaboratories/Parts/Assets/CapacitorTEX
    }

I loaded your mod 6 times to test the weight of your mod. Three times with, three times without and took the average. With your mod I am at around 4,900MB. Without your mod, I am at around 4,400MB. So about 500MB used memory on my system of Window 10.

Not needed or a problem, but maybe Rename part.cfg files same as part so I can find them easier?

Also maybe add tweakscale as a patch instead of built in part? I do not use tweakscale, so I get a cannot find tweakscale module errors.

@PART[scifi-02,scifis-03,scifirad-04]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = TweakScale
    type = free
    }
}

Thank you for the mod.

Now that's what i call feedback! I've noted every single thing you mentioned. The engines are still being balanced so you gotta wait for a future update where they'll be much less op. About all of the configs and everything... Since I'm a fairly new modmaker, when i made this mod, i was just testing my ability to accomplish something i just learned. That came with many errors. Although I've already planned on fixing everything, it's gonna take some time... But many thanks for the awesome suggestions.

I did check your one model, was gonna check over the UV mapping.

KerboNerdLaboratories\Parts\Engines\scifiSmallJet/enginee.mu

Notice it was 773 KB sized. In Blender it was showing. 

Verts: 12817

Faces: 11640

Tris: 11640

I compared it to GameData\NearFutureAeronautics\Parts\Engine\Atomic\nfa-atomic-jet-25-1.mu at 158 KB 

Verts: 2711

Faces: 2486

Tris: 2492

If you want to make you mod a bit lighter, might want to simplify some of the parts which is seems you may already be doing. It is a very nice part and incredibly detailed. Thing is, I could load almost five more models resource and performance wise, for your one model I would load. I do really like parts though and Nertea does make some nice ones. I find it hard myself to make simple parts at times, and say draw the rest of the features and such onto textures and bump maps. 

Well enough wasting your time, good luck.

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to use these engines on space planes, and it seems like one of two things will always happen.

1.  I'll get mostly to space, and the engine will explode (it isn't overheated, or at least, doesn't indicate that it is)

2.  It'll suddenly throttle most of the way down, despite having adequate resources.    And then it will explode.  

Is this by design?  So far I have not been able to run an engine longer than a few minute or so, at low throttle.

Excuse the potentially silly question.  There's parts for harvesting Neptunium Gas and engines using HyperPlutonium, uh, how can I convert the former to the latter?

Excellent mod, it's overpowered but it has a huge drawback, HEAT!  Wow, I have 4 large radiator panels for each engine and that only just allows for launching from Kerbin.

Edited by DanFraser

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2019 at 11:29 AM, Bosun said:

I've been trying to use these engines on space planes, and it seems like one of two things will always happen.

1.  I'll get mostly to space, and the engine will explode (it isn't overheated, or at least, doesn't indicate that it is)

2.  It'll suddenly throttle most of the way down, despite having adequate resources.    And then it will explode.  

Is this by design?  So far I have not been able to run an engine longer than a few minute or so, at low throttle.

Yes, the heating is designed to be that way. Although the lowering of the throttle is possibly a side effect. There might be something i've missed while reading the codes. Maybe Squad implemented the feature (throttle decrease) as a failsafe for overheating.

Anyways. The engines are most efficient when used by small bursts. I suggest making your spacecraft's TWR to be enough to get you to your target node while the engines are still running nominaly. Otherwise - thermal dissipation tech.

On 6/28/2019 at 2:48 PM, DanFraser said:

Excuse the potentially silly question.  There's parts for harvesting Neptunium Gas and engines using HyperPlutonium, uh, how can I convert the former to the latter?

Excellent mod, it's overpowered but it has a huge drawback, HEAT!  Wow, I have 4 large radiator panels for each engine and that only just allows for launching from Kerbin.

For now it's not possible to convert  NptGas to HP. Although there are converters in the making, they won't be released any time soon.

It will totally not be collectable from space stations.

..cough...

Nice looking cheat engines @KerboNerd, I'm tempted to give it a try :)
but
Smart Actuators dependency worries me a little. Looks like it hasn't been updated since 1.4.5. What is the risk of your mod, considering this dependency, cause problems on 1.7.2? and with other mods? are there any mods it specifically conflicts with?

19 hours ago, falcoon said:

Nice looking cheat engines @KerboNerd, I'm tempted to give it a try :)
but
Smart Actuators dependency worries me a little. Looks like it hasn't been updated since 1.4.5. What is the risk of your mod, considering this dependency, cause problems on 1.7.2? and with other mods? are there any mods it specifically conflicts with?

There shouldn't be any problems in my opinion. Since "Smart Actuators" is just a config mod, there shouldn't be any conflicts with other mods. All it does in this mod is make the VRTX engine have more than 2 engine modes.

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2019 at 4:54 PM, max7453 said:

In the future, can I increase Ore into fuel? I don't have to cheat to fly the boat back.

If by increasing you mean converting, that will be possible! A new resource will be introduced that will be mixed with the present resource "Neptunium Gas" to be compressed into Hyper Plutonium!

On 8/26/2019 at 9:54 AM, max7453 said:

In the future, can I increase Ore into fuel? I don't have to cheat to fly the boat back.

I just added a convertor to the Vortex engine myself, I can share you the cfg file for it if you want... But you could also easily patch the Stock ISRU to add a HyperPlutonium Converter as well. 

3 hours ago, KerboNerd said:

If by increasing you mean converting, that will be possible! A new resource will be introduced that will be mixed with the present resource "Neptunium Gas" to be compressed into Hyper Plutonium!

Haha  I modded the Vortex engine.  I added a Converter Module to it to use NeptuniumGas and Ore and electric charge to make HyperPlutonium

I'm probably going to move it to its own part though...

Edited by trekfan42

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, KIMCHI said:

Dude!!! How can I add this to my tanks? I'd love to be able to add Hyper Plutonium to my OPT planes.

There's no real option to do that other than changing configuration files. I'd just recommend clipping some HP tanks in the OPT hull.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.