Anti Satellite weapons

If I remember, back then I'm fiddling around with BDArmory mod, tweaking it and adding physic range extender, I made a design that utilized BDA's airborne laser to target the satellite that's on very low orbit...

And I outfit those satellite with nuke cannon from NKD mod to retaliate back... With nuke shells from orbit (insert "nuke it from orbit" meme here)

It doesn't work for a lot of reason, mainly because the range is so extreme that the compensation must be made against Kerbin's rotation. Even with nuke warhead's immense blast radius, it's very hard to hit KSC-sized target, much less a launch vehicle for A-SAT. The same could be said with ground laser. The orbital velocity of orbiting satellite is too fast to be tracked by laser emitter, leading to an inconsistent damage as the laser mount erratically tries to track the target

• 1 month later...

I’ve tried this stock (kinetic kill vehicle) but doing so requires incredibly precise information on your target’s orbital characteristics and incredibly precise orbital maneuvers as well. Maybe if there was a command line interface where you could input a DV vector or something.

Does it need to be selective or can there be collateral damage >:) 

Because 10 tonnes of ball bearings spread over a wide area would be a pretty effective anti satellite weapon I dare say ^_^ 

Edited by Guest

21 hours ago, _The_Burn_ said:

Well if you are already destroying a satellite what is an extra few thousand particles of space debris?

A few extra tens of millions of I would imagine! We are talking multiples tonnes of ball bearings @_@!

If it created a runaway Kessler effect scenario one launch would deny the human race access to space >:) or at the very least remove most orbital capabilities.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 11:58 AM, Dale Christopher said:

Does it need to be selective or can there be collateral damage >:) 

Because 10 tonnes of ball bearings spread over a wide area would be a pretty effective anti satellite weapon I dare say ^_^ 

What you suggested was tried by the Russians during the cold war. The system was called 'Polyot IS'.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.