Building your own engines KSP

Hi,

I love the idea of realism with plane building in KSP, challenge and functionality as well as a realistic look and testing process over performance when building aircraft.

Hi have played around with building my own turbofan engines in KSP and fitting them on planes trying to get the best performances without killing my test pilots. I've successful built a handful using propeller parts to build a fan, smaller propellers part clipped to make a low pressure compressor stage and small jets engines to act as a high pressure compressor stage (and deliver most the thrust). I then use structural panels in an attempt to house the engines and they work fairly well. The biggest issue I run into is the size, in order to fit in all the separate fuel tanks and piping needed for each stage the engine ends up being way to large to look scale.

This a very fun and rewarding build, as I love the realism and the thought that goes into trying to reduce weight and increase thrust and efficiency, when just adding a stock turbo fan is just way too easy!

My idea is a mod that includes parts such as Fans (high and low bypass for efficiency or power), compressor blades (adding more creates more thrust but more weight and less efficiency) and combustion chambers where the amount of fuel per second can be selected or different in available parts to increase thrust but reduce efficiency. I would then like to have the ability to customise engine housings with a method similar to how ferrings and created for rockets. 

A mod like this would give players the ability to completely scratch build engines in all sizes for all purposes for your own aircraft and create a whole world of challenges and achievements, for instance creating small regional jets that have the ability to transport a small number of kerbals over small distances very cost effectively, or long range jet bombers or passenger jets to transport kerbals around the world like the A350xlr and even giving a challenge to creating a supersonic jet that isn't just "add more engines".

Anyway, I have completely no idea how to do computers and so creating mods is way beyond my comfort zone. However I believe this is an idea that many people would enjoy and potentially could have a place in the game itself. If anyone out there thinks this is a cool idea, please do comment, or if even better anyone out there thinks this maybe possible or thinks they could give it a go, please get in touch!

HAPPY FLYING!

Here's a few concept part ideas. take a look, let me know what you think, make any changes etc!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18MPGg6PkEneFf7mDVaWzIsTF0gTe5xPj

Edited by FlightSergeantMatt

21 hours ago, FlightSergeantMatt said:

Hi have played around with building my own turbofan engines in KSP and fitting them on planes trying to get the best performances without killing my test pilots. I've successful built a handful using propeller parts to build a fan, smaller propellers part clipped to make a low pressure compressor stage and small jets engines to act as a high pressure compressor stage (and deliver most the thrust). I then use structural panels in an attempt to house the engines and they work fairly well. The biggest issue I run into is the size, in order to fit in all the separate fuel tanks and piping needed for each stage the engine ends up being way to large to look scale.

This a very fun and rewarding build, as I love the realism and the thought that goes into trying to reduce weight and increase thrust and efficiency, when just adding a stock turbo fan is just way too easy!

My idea is a mod that includes parts such as Fans (high and low bypass for efficiency or power), compressor blades (adding more creates more thrust but more weight and less efficiency) and combustion chambers where the amount of fuel per second can be selected or different in available parts to increase thrust but reduce efficiency. I would then like to have the ability to customise engine housings with a method similar to how ferrings and created for rockets. 

A mod like this would give players the ability to completely scratch build engines in all sizes for all purposes for your own aircraft and create a whole world of challenges and achievements, for instance creating small regional jets that have the ability to transport a small number of kerbals over small distances very cost effectively, or long range jet bombers or passenger jets to transport kerbals around the world like the A350xlr and even giving a challenge to creating a supersonic jet that isn't just "add more engines".

Anyway, I have completely no idea how to do computers and so creating mods is way beyond my comfort zone. However I believe this is an idea that many people would enjoy and potentially could have a place in the game itself. If anyone out there thinks this is a cool idea, please do comment, or if even better anyone out there thinks this maybe possible or thinks they could give it a go, please get in touch!

HAPPY FLYING!

This is KSP, not build your own engine simulator.

Also the technical outside the box kind of creations are aside selected for some people that are interested in this.
AFAIK, aside from prop planes, custom engines, mechanical bearings and cog's in general they are build and showcased as work of art. Never have I seen a custom made fan that could make a airplane, I've only seen a custom turbofan made boat created by azimech and it didn't moved particularly fast and the engine was huge.
Unless you've progressed further that is.

Also, a special fairing part for engine housing.... why? It would just be another fairing type part only to be named differently. If the fairing part works for this why ask for a substitute. What's better about a specific alternative housing shell next to fairings? It already functions to use it as a engine housing so it's good at that.

Furthermore, you don't have to just add moar engines. You should search youtube for Beaucoupzero and watch his builds. As you'll see he slightly clips several engines together, then uses tail connectors and a fairing shell to make it look as a single engine block. It's still rapier engines and whiplashes but you can attach, combine clip them to look as a different engines alltogether.

Creativity sparks wonders!

Edited by Aeroboi

48 minutes ago, Aeroboi said:

This is KSP, not build your own engine simulator.

Also the technical outside the box kind of creations are aside selected for some people that are interested in this.
AFAIK, aside from prop planes, custom engines, mechanical bearings and cog's in general they are build and showcased as work of art. Never have I seen a custom made fan that could make a airplane, I've only seen a custom turbofan made boat created by azimech and it didn't moved particularly fast and the engine was huge.
Unless you've progressed further that is.

Also, a special fairing part for engine housing.... why? It would just be another fairing type part only to be named differently. If the fairing part works for this why ask for a substitute. What's better about a specific alternative housing shell next to fairings? It already functions to use it as a engine housing so it's good at that.

Furthermore, you don't have to just add moar engines. You should search youtube for Beaucoupzero and watch his builds. As you'll see he slightly clips several engines together, then uses tail connectors and a fairing shell to make it look as a single engine block. It's still rapier engines and whiplashes but you can attach, combine clip them to look as a different engines alltogether.

Creativity sparks wonders!

there are a lot of mods that have progressed this wonderful game pretty far from where it was at the beginning, plus I personally think custom engine building simulator would be cool (provided you can still fly them).

Thanks for the response but sounds to me like you are not interested in this kind of a development rather than saying it wont work am I correct? thanks for the input but im just curious to see if there is any interest out there, im sure there are people who don't care for it but id like to spark a conversation on feasibility and brainstorm ideas. if you have anymore please do respond. Also I did create turbo fan substitutes that could accelerate a small commercial to about 130m/s and up to nearly 200m/s but could only sustain a short flight (island and back if flown very conservatively). These effectiveish designs were so fun to build and so challenging but just not quite practical. I think you would enjoy the challenge! much more fun than part clipping or tweaking a stock engine. 

I also think that specific engine housings could be better as they could look more realistic, be more customisable in terms of shape to fit different engine dimensions and sleekness as well as colour (ive always loved the blue engine housings on a british airways engine). this could also leave room for possible features such as thrust reverser animations

11 hours ago, Fraston said:

Engine base, fuel pump, fans and combustion chamber parts separately. Sounds like a great mod idea, less for stock.

Thanks, I think its a really cool idea too! if you have any more part ideas or know anyone who could help development, do send me a message. stay in touch!

Edited by FlightSergeantMatt

On 5/1/2019 at 8:06 AM, FlightSergeantMatt said:

Hi,

I love the idea of realism with plane building in KSP, challenge and functionality as well as a realistic look and testing process over performance when building aircraft.

HAPPY FLYING!

Here's a few concept part ideas. take a look, let me know what you think, make any changes etc!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18MPGg6PkEneFf7mDVaWzIsTF0gTe5xPj

Yes but what about the ppl who play Xbox?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.