jrodriguez

[1.7.x] BDArmory Continued v1.3.0 [05/01/2019]

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Lets just say that BDAC guns do not work extremely well in space. Did you test them on Kerbin?

Well that sucks, though in some ways it "makes sense" as the most feasible space weapons would be lasers, explosives, and railguns. I still wish I could use the turrets in space...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ok, I just did some further testing using the fixed machine gun, and I think I see what's going on. With the turrets and fixed guns on the ground the green circle shows where the guns are aiming; but in space, since the camera angle changes, the circle doesn't line up with where you're shooting, EXCEPT when the camera is lined up behind the fixed guns. Therefore, all is needed I think is a separate aiming reticle for when you enter orbit. This might be more complex than I'm imagining it to be, but it might fix my problem. 

EDIT: I just realized/remembered that the laser weapon works fine in space, so whatever aiming code is used for that weapon might help.

Edited by mr. engino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did some more testing today, experimenting with different weapon placements and stuff, and it appears that with stationary guns in orbit, the aiming reticle is aimed towards the prograde vector of the orbit, meaning the shots originate around that particular area. Also, when such a spacecraft lands on another planet/moon, the aiming returns to normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This mod is awesome! my one gripe is that I can never get the missiles to sit properly on things like the TOW launcher or the Patriot. No matter how many different missiles I try, none of them with attach, and I've looked everywhere but cant find a solution. Any tips/help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Aqua_Baluar said:

This mod is awesome! my one gripe is that I can never get the missiles to sit properly on things like the TOW launcher or the Patriot. No matter how many different missiles I try, none of them with attach, and I've looked everywhere but cant find a solution. Any tips/help?

How did you install the game? It works fine for me.

Did you attempt trying the stock craft? Also, did you rotate the missiles? Some missiles cannot be mounted on the patriot/TOW launcher.

Edited by Xd the great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

How did you install the game? It works fine for me.

Did you attempt trying the stock craft? Also, did you rotate the missiles? Some cannot be mounted on the patriot/TOW launcher.

I installed the mod but putting the files in GAMEDATA and the game is installed through steam. As for the "stock craft" I have no clue what your talking about. I didn't try rotating the missiles, but I'll try it on my next attempt. The thing is though is that I've tried EVERY missile, big to small, and not even the ones stated in the descriptions of the Patriot will snap to the Patriots silos, and same with the others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Aqua_Baluar said:

I installed the mod but putting the files in GAMEDATA and the game is installed through steam. As for the "stock craft" I have no clue what your talking about. I didn't try rotating the missiles, but I'll try it on my next attempt. The thing is though is that I've tried EVERY missile, big to small, and not even the ones stated in the descriptions of the Patriot will snap to the Patriots silos, and same with the others. 

1. It is generally not a good idea to put mods in your steam install. Copy the entire game to somewhere else in your computer and install mods there.

2. Stock craft is found in the crafts files in the BDArmory folder.

3. No Gamedata files inside the Gamedata file. Never.

4. Pics will help us determine what is going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried the Modular Missile Parts download available on the main page, but nothing is showing up in-game. Is it safe to assume it's no longer functional, given that the last commit on Github was two years ago? If so, it might be good to remove the link, just to prevent confusion. Unless I've done something wrong (which, with my luck, is fairly likely)? I dropped the BDModularMissileParts folder in GameData, right next to BDArmory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MedicRules41 said:

I tried the Modular Missile Parts download available on the main page, but nothing is showing up in-game. Is it safe to assume it's no longer functional, given that the last commit on Github was two years ago? If so, it might be good to remove the link, just to prevent confusion. Unless I've done something wrong (which, with my luck, is fairly likely)? I dropped the BDModularMissileParts folder in GameData, right next to BDArmory.

Have you read the readme file of the GitHub page?

https://github.com/jrodrigv/BDModularMissileParts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 6:35 PM, mr. engino said:

Ok, I just did some further testing using the fixed machine gun, and I think I see what's going on. With the turrets and fixed guns on the ground the green circle shows where the guns are aiming; but in space, since the camera angle changes, the circle doesn't line up with where you're shooting, EXCEPT when the camera is lined up behind the fixed guns. Therefore, all is needed I think is a separate aiming reticle for when you enter orbit. This might be more complex than I'm imagining it to be, but it might fix my problem. 

EDIT: I just realized/remembered that the laser weapon works fine in space, so whatever aiming code is used for that weapon might help.

If I remember correctly, there is no code in BDA for orbital mechanics. Most part of the position prediction code is based on standard uniform accelerated movement equations, relative Velocity, etc.

The relative velocity method is used only for the RCS/vacuum missile and it is enough accurate to end up hitting an orbiting target. 

In order to shot bullets with enough precision to an orbiting target, it is necessary to resolve a two equations system where a) the future orbital position of the target is taken into account based on current orbit equation b) the future bullet position based on muzzle velocity, initial position and initial velocity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jrodriguez said:

Have you read the readme file of the GitHub page?

https://github.com/jrodrigv/BDModularMissileParts

Somehow I managed to miss the Procedural Parts link - sincerest apologies for wasting your time.

However, the latest commit on the provided Procedural Parts github is also two years old. There's a newer fork available, and using it allows me to build SRBs and fuel tanks, but none of the parts in the BDA pack work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 12:47 AM, mr. engino said:

I installed this a while back, and noticed that the .50 cal turrets apparently don't fire/aim correctly, instead having their targeting thing off to the side of the spaceship. Is there a way to fix this?

On 7/12/2019 at 5:28 PM, Xd the great said:

Lets just say that BDAC guns do not work extremely well in space. Did you test them on Kerbin?

16 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

If I remember correctly, there is no code in BDA for orbital mechanics. Most part of the position prediction code is based on standard uniform accelerated movement equations, relative Velocity, etc.

The relative velocity method is used only for the RCS/vacuum missile and it is enough accurate to end up hitting an orbiting target. 

In order to shot bullets with enough precision to an orbiting target, it is necessary to resolve a two equations system where a) the future orbital position of the target is taken into account based on current orbit equation b) the future bullet position based on muzzle velocity, initial position and initial velocity.

Guns work just fine in space. They don't really do orbital mechanics, but the math is close enough.

Mouse aim, however, is a different matter. It is not impossible, but it is reasonably tricky, and it is not implemented. :) Fixed aim is also not impossible via lead indicators, which are less tricky, but also not implemented.

Visual guard mode works just fine and radar slaving should work mostly fine too.

A simple demonstration using completely stock Abrams cannons at 6km in LKO. Technically this is the dev version, but there haven't been any relevant changes since last release.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a request, the M1 Abrams no matter what version has a .50 caliber M2HB mounted over the Commanders hatch, could have this modeled on the turret?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my FAVORITE mod! Next in like Is SM Armory. Speaking of that, anyone know what happened to SM Armory?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Vladimir264 said:

This is my FAVORITE mod! Next in like Is SM Armory. Speaking of that, anyone know what happened to SM Armory?

Ask @jrodriguez.

9 hours ago, eagle92lightning said:

I have a request, the M1 Abrams no matter what version has a .50 caliber M2HB mounted over the Commanders hatch, could have this modeled on the turret?

It could be done, but I am not sure if bdac team will do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have a question.

Is there a bit in the CFG that determines the hitbox of a projectile?  Like, there's the tracer and such, but, for example, say I wanted to make a projectile fired from a gun have a hitbox of approximately 5 meters.  Or, let's say I wanted to have a laser weapon fire a continuous beam with a hitbox of 5 meters. 

Is there a way to accomplish that in the files, or is that limited to pinprick-pinpoint accuracy?

EDIT: The only thing I can think of is giving the bullet a hilariously huge caliber in the CFG, but I don't think that's how it works, is it?

Edited by Ryugi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Ask @jrodriguez.

It could be done, but I am not sure if bdac team will do it.

Using Animated attachment and making it where parts can be surface mounted on the turret would work perfectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ryugi said:

I have a question.

Is there a bit in the CFG that determines the hitbox of a projectile?  Like, there's the tracer and such, but, for example, say I wanted to make a projectile fired from a gun have a hitbox of approximately 5 meters.  Or, let's say I wanted to have a laser weapon fire a continuous beam with a hitbox of 5 meters. 

Is there a way to accomplish that in the files, or is that limited to pinprick-pinpoint accuracy?

EDIT: The only thing I can think of is giving the bullet a hilariously huge caliber in the CFG, but I don't think that's how it works, is it?

You can make the tracer as wide as you want, but I am not sure if it affects the result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, byong614 said:

Is someone else picking up on that or is it gone forever?

Pretty much everything he created has been taken down, so unfortunately it's gone unless he decides to come back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheKurgan said:

Pretty much everything he created has been taken down, so unfortunately it's gone unless he decides to come back.

A quick question then:

Is it okay if I re-compile the mod into 1.7 for my personal use only? I do have the files that I downloaded before it was taken down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, byong614 said:

Is it okay if I re-compile the mod into 1.7 for my personal use only?

I have 99% of Spanner's released mods, plus quite a lot of unreleased stuff... I was one of his mod testers since Oct 2017, and his main tester for about the last year.

I still use all of it in 1.7.3... as far as I know, nothing needs to be "recompiled" It all still works fine.

Edited by TheKurgan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheKurgan said:

I have 99% of Spanner's released mods plus quite a lot of unreleased stuff... I was his main tester for 2 years.

I still use all of it in 1.7.3... as far as I know, nothing needs to be "recompiled" It all still works fine.

Right, thanks for that information. I don't know how to recompile stuff anyway XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, byong614 said:

I don't know how to recompile stuff anyway XD

LOL! it's all good! Enjoy it... I still do :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.