Dumpling range challenge

Due to recent oversights in acquiring fuel after Jeb decided we needed some Orange tanks on the Mün within a day, the KSC has decided it must be rationed and your projects have been given only a single Dumpling worth.

Get as from from the KSC as possible using just a single Dumpling.

Rules:

1. You may use a single R-4 Dumpling as fuel. No starting with monopropellant or Xenon. Discharge all electricity storage devices.

2. You may use ore as Ballast if you decide you need it for some reason. But your craft may not contain a drill or convert-o-tron. This isn't an ISRU challenge.

3. No RTGs or solar panels may be used to generate power. Fuel cells are fine but must start with no electricity.

4. Decouplers are fine but don't abuse them. Same goes for ladders and control surface torque and any other method of summoning the Kraken to trade your immortal soul for propulsion.

5. Kerbal parachutes are fine. Kerbal jetpacks are not. Walking is okay if it isn't a propulsion method.

6. You may remove any amount of Liquid Fuel or Oxidizer from the Dumpling.

7. Plant a flag or craft at KSC beforehand so we know how far you got.

Edited by Pds314

42 minutes ago, vyznev said:

Does the craft need to carry a Kerbal, or is an unmanned drone / rover acceptable?

Unmanned is fine, I believe.

Edited by Fraston

Well, just to set a baseline, here's my design. It's powered by a Juno jet engine, carries one kerbal and reached a ground distance of 193.7 km on my second test flight so far.

ufUX1u2.png

Spoiler

ZAYCfws.png

Ld25J9d.png

OJmEwvK.png

oSa9Lyx.png

WDdf47c.png

More screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/9Y5b8de

(Not posting the craft file yet, since I'll probably tweak this design further.)

56 minutes ago, Flying dutchman said:

I made it 500 km unmanned but i had to leave 0.5 electric charge in the probe core so that i could start the engine. if that still qualifies i will submit my entry.

If not, I guess you could get around that by having a kerbal in a pod / chair that you stage off after starting the engine. Just to pull the starter cord, you know. :D 

11 hours ago, Flying dutchman said:

I made it 500 km unmanned but i had to leave 0.5 electric charge in the probe core so that i could start the engine. if that still qualifies i will submit my entry.

Yeah that shouldn't be an issue. 0.5 ec is basically irrelevant.

Edited by Pds314

I don't see any rule about starting way up on a launch clamp?

Which would easily let you go way further, prolly further with no fuel just gliding, than someone could do powered from the ground with the fuel.

Should definitely be a rule about a max starting height.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

44 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Which would easily let you go way further, prolly further with no fuel just gliding, than someone could do powered from the ground with the fuel.

Unless you're using silly tricks to build a 10 km tall launch clamp or something, I doubt it makes any significant difference. We're talking about flight distances of 200–500 km or more here. There's a surprising amount of fuel in those little tanks.

51 minutes ago, vyznev said:

Unless you're using silly tricks to build a 10 km tall launch clamp or something, I doubt it makes any significant difference. We're talking about flight distances of 200–500 km or more here. There's a surprising amount of fuel in those little tanks.

I mean..the offset tool is far from a trick? It's pretty simple actually. (It's absolutely something most people here on the board who do these challenges know about.)

We've had challenges to glide all the way to the island runway using launch clamp height, so it should definitely be clarified in the rules if such things are allowed or not, as it will add considerable distance to any flight, and will most certainly be used if allowed.

16 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Ok, starting on a Kerbin-sized launch clamp is cheating lol.

17 hours ago, Tyr Anasazi said:

Can we use electric propellers?

Stock props are legit.

Speaking of rules lawyering, I'm not 100% sure what this sentence is supposed to mean:

On 5/2/2019 at 3:36 AM, Pds314 said:

Walking is okay if it isn't a propulsion method.

I mean, walking kind of is a propulsion method: you push against the ground to propel yourself forward. (Except kerbals seem to do it differently, and apparently magically push against the fabric of the universe instead. :P But they still propel themselves.) So I'm kind of confused about what this is trying to say. You can walk, but only if you don't go anywhere? Clarification, please?

(In any case, I assume that just getting off your stopped vehicle and walking to gain more distance from KSC would be cheating. But I'm not sure exactly what other kinds of walking are meant to be allowed by this rule.)

9 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Ok, starting on a Kerbin-sized launch clamp is cheating lol.

OK!

Here's my entry, so far. (It's still flying...)

Started on a very modest launch clamp only about 1,500m up. (WAY smaller than "Kerbin sized." Considerably less than the length of the runway if you stood it on end, which is 2,500m in case you have trouble picturing it.) I'm already past 500km distance, cruising at 17k, with 16ish minutes of fuel left.

9D6CE61AD98C8F3EEE6F9BEC161D8160B6E16123

Update: Just ran out of fuel, at 1,500km.

549477C5B5D0CDBC140A6E4AC34D7743FD79787E

Welp, I lost signal and crashed shortly after. However, going triple the prior best with only a 1,500m starting height, I think; illustrates my point about launch clamp towers inflating the distances. (Although to be perfectly fair, I didn't try it from the ground for comparison so I don't really know how much distance was added exactly. I'd think a couple hundred meters at least?)

Which raises another "rules-lawyering" question; does the craft have to survive it's landing to count?

I had a crack at this, even though my plane skills are more than a little woeful. I forgot to plant a flag and used the F3 menu instead to get the ground distance covered.

First Jeb went out in Lil Dumplin' 1 and made it to 114km.
GzXhTAh.png

AnFnFAq.png

More Pics.

Spoiler

Unconventional launch method of start engine, then a couple seconds later detach from tower.

Result... plane plumets towards the ground but has enough lift not to hit it.

cSRSmpy.png

Leaving Las KSC.

2PNud5z.png

Heading across the bay

QNnaeDl.png

Now across land... this goes on for a while.

luheddz.png

Well that's the fuel gone, time to glide now.

What'dya mean this thing glides like a overweight brick.

E9tzUUj.png

Oh well... at least some of the plane survived.

kmti2vI.png

Not to be beaten Val took out a modified version Lil Dumplin' 2.

But even with more lift from the heavier wings and a route over water, she only made it 113km.

h5GKiUk.png

435VG0e.png

More pics.

Spoiler

Got uncomfortably close (this was after it started lifting) to hitting the ground before the thing went skyward.

NpYGJ7s.png

Heading out to sea.

48LMTig.png

On you left you can see the famed Island of "Where wierd stuff happens".

lEgR9xN.png

Cruising along.

ZBcgCwX.png

Out of gas.

PU1CGKw.png

In the fish soup.

rHMuoaB.png

Edited by purpleivan

On 5/1/2019 at 7:36 PM, Pds314 said:

7. Plant a flag or craft at KSC beforehand so we know how far you got.

can we use the End of mission/F3 window for more accurate results?

One important warning: the distance travelled shown in the F3 menu is NOT accurate. I don't know the exact source or magnitude of the inaccuracy, but it seems to be related to the rotation of Kerbin while you're airborne, or something like that. We ran into that a lot during the Circumnavigation Challenge.

It would be a lot more accurate to record one's longitude on landing/crashing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.