Need help finding a good mod.

I am building an interstellar generation ship in low kerbin orbit, and it will use an Orion Drive. Yes, this sounds very ambitious, but it proves that interstellar travel is practical, as it will use current or near future technology. Once I finish it I may make a separate thread for it.

But here’s the catch, I need a good Orion Drive mod. I already have one installed, but it does not fully meet my needs. My main requirement is: I need to be able to make it off world. I know, that sounds even more insane, but it can be done, and I need my generation ship to have a self replication factor. I need to be able to create Orion drives, with its fuel type, completely off world. In the current mod I have, I don’t know how to do it, if I even can do it.

Also, I am in KSP 1.6. 

So, recap, I need an Orion Drive mod in which I can manufacture Orion Drives and its fuel off world.

Any suggestions? Know any mods?

Also, I need it to be compatible with the following mods: TAC LS, Civilian Population, and Extraplanetary Launchpads. The other mods I have should effect anything.

I am in late career mode so I can’t have an huge changes.

And yes, I am being very very ambitious.

Any suggestions? Leave them in the comment section!

To add to what @The_Cat_In_Space said. What I did first time was browsing all the pages of the releases thread, 100+ pages and download all of them plus putting them into seperate folders. For instance I have a mod folder with only 1.3.1 compatible mods as for 1.7 and so forth. You can also use CKAN

Using CKAN you can search for mods. Look for orion drives or extraplanetary launch pads, just click as if you were to install even if you have already and the CKAN window will prompt a recommended mods list based on the mods set for download/installation. By all means a alternative orion mod or a wanted plugin is listed, do yourself a favor and take a look at this.

Remember that many ksp mod versions listed as version1.4, 1,5 and 1,6 respectively also work on 1.7 or vice versa. Usually I go to the last page of the release thread and the opening thread to see if there are any compatibility issues.

AFAIK all orion drive mods are standalone and do not incorporate well into extraplanetary launchpad.

Edited by Aeroboi

7 hours ago, Aeroboi said:

What I did first time was browsing all the pages of the releases thread, 100+ pages and download all of them plus putting them into seperate folders. For instance I have a mod folder with only 1.3.1 compatible mods as for 1.7 and so forth.

As a professional hoarder uh, "collector" of mods for years, (I have ~400GB, ~25,000 files of mods on my HDD) I used to do that... then I found it was a terrible way to organize them, as many are usable in multiple versions of KSP.

I since have reorganized all mod packages into one folder, and now suffix the filenames with compatable KSP versions. If there are multiple KSP versions, I put the most recent first, and the oldest second... anything inbetween is assumed to work also...
If its unclear what KSP version, I use the release date... I also use other suffixes as necessary, for source/master/backport packages, specific OSes, etc...
I find it *much* easier to find organize things by filename, rather than folder... the search function in Windoze Explorer works amazingly well to find everything I have on a mod, just by partial or full mod name...

Like so:
PF3drIL.png

On topic, which Orion mod is it that you are using, @SlamduncAZ ?
Hmm.. I was about to suggest ExtraPlanetary Launchpads... what about OSE Workshop, @Aeroboi ? vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

11 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

As a professional hoarder uh, "collector" of mods for years, (I have ~400GB, ~25,000 files of mods on my HDD) I used to do that... then I found it was a terrible way to organize them, as many are usable in multiple versions of KSP.

I sine have reorganized all mod packages into one folder, and now suffix the filenames with compatable KSP versions. If there are multiple KSP versions, I put the most recent first, and the oldest second... anything inbetween is assumed to work also...
If its unclear what KSP version, I use the release date... I also use other suffixes as necessary, for source/master/backport packages, specific OSes, etc...
I find it *much* easier to find organize things by filename, rather than folder... the search function in Windoze Explorer works amazingly well to find everything I have on a mod, just by partial or full mod name...

Like so:
PF3drIL.png

On topic, which Orion mod is it that you are using, @SlamduncAZ ?
Hmm.. I was about to suggest ExtraPlanetary Launchpads... what about OSE Workshop, @Aeroboi ? vOv

I tried that using ExtraPlanetary Launchpads. With the current mod I have, it says I need “material kits” and “specialized parts”. I know those have something to do with USI, which when I attempted to install it caused my game to crash in load up. Do you know any way to obtain material kits and specialized materials?

I will check out that mod you suggested on OSE.

The current mod I have is: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/121597-13-project-orion-nuclear-pulse-engine-030/&tab=comments#comment-2195755

Edited by SlamduncAZ

I tried OSE. Doesn’t look like I can use it to build an Orion with my current mod, but, it can get me “material kits”, which are required in the Extraplanetary Launchpads recipe. Now I need “specialized parts”. Know any mods that can produce those?

Edited by SlamduncAZ

Welp, I figured out a way. I will leave this thread open for a bit longer in case any more problems arise.

When I finish the ship, I’ll start a separate thread for it.

Edited by SlamduncAZ

4 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Would you mind elaborating in this thread so others who might have the same issue can use it? 

Sure.

So I tried OSE, and with a little experimentation developed this system:

The Orion mod I use is https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/121597-13-project-orion-nuclear-pulse-engine-030/&tab=comments#comment-2195755

With Extraplanetary Launchpads, magazines with an Orion unit (full on Ablative Oil and NPU), it requires Enriched Uranium, Specialized Parts, Rocket Parts, and Material Kits. (No extra materials required)

I can get Rocket Parts from EL.

I can get Material Kits from OSE.

I can get Enriched Uranium from Planetary Base Systems.

And I can get Specialized parts using Ground Construction, consuming Material Kits.

That gives me all need materials to construct Orion drives and magazines, along with NPU and Ablative Oil, all completely off-world. I have yet to test this system, and I will update this thread with the results.

I will leave this thread open indefinitely.

On 5/3/2019 at 7:47 PM, SlamduncAZ said:

Sure.

So I tried OSE, and with a little experimentation developed this system:

The Orion mod I use is https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/121597-13-project-orion-nuclear-pulse-engine-030/&tab=comments#comment-2195755

With Extraplanetary Launchpads, magazines with an Orion unit (full on Ablative Oil and NPU), it requires Enriched Uranium, Specialized Parts, Rocket Parts, and Material Kits. (No extra materials required)

I can get Rocket Parts from EL.

I can get Material Kits from OSE.

I can get Enriched Uranium from Planetary Base Systems.

And I can get Specialized parts using Ground Construction, consuming Material Kits.

That gives me all need materials to construct Orion drives and magazines, along with NPU and Ablative Oil, all completely off-world. I have yet to test this system, and I will update this thread with the results.

I will leave this thread open indefinitely.

If you need help adjusting that recipe, I’m open to helping.  (I wrote it focusing on integration with other USI mods.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.