What is difference between ordinary KSP and KerbalEDU

Pawelk198604

• 1 month later...

KerbalEDU is currently based on KSP 1.4.5, I listed the main points i have found over time at this link:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/179330-kerbal-helpful-tips-summary/

• Licenses: KerbalEDU is login based multi-user per one license; where as KSP is a personal single user license.
    • Economical pricing packages for EDU/public institutions sold by TeacherGaming
  • a Package of Teaching Lessons & Missions & TGdesk integration (from versions 1.3.1 on) to make teaching with KerbalEDU easier
    • cloud saves of important game files for each unique login identifier ( = getting better at device independence )
  • the original Mission Editor...anyone with a KerbalEDU license may make & post a KerbalEDU lesson/mission in the EDU Mission Library
    • this is connected to the KerbalEDU event system which also sends info to TGdesk
  • KerbalEDU includes "Mods" like the great EDU Flight Recorder (much better than MechJeb's) & EDU Function tool & Energy Spheres tool, etc...
  • Updates about 1 year behind the main KSP releases & skips minor KSP updates. 
  • KSP mods run in KerbalEDU
    • note: some Mods ( e.g. FAR ) will change conditions so that some specific stock & EDU missions events will not trigger (e.g. parachute settings)
    • or work e.g. RSS  or SLIPPIST-1 change the solar system so missions in the Kerbin system will not work & explosions abound ;-)
  • The "Making History Expansion 1.4.0 for KSP 1.4.5" runs in KerbalEDU 1.4.5 but is not currently included in the KerbalEDU license so requires an additional purchase....remains a gray area not yet worked out.

• 1 year later...

Are there no lessons in KSP? My son (7 years old) became interested in the program. I decided that KerbalEdu is the best way to start learning, as there are lessons there. I bought KerbalEdu for $ 40 for him, but I still couldn't open the game. I sent a letter with a question, but have not received an answer yet.
Can you please tell me if it is possible to study and take lessons for one child under the guidance of a mother, without a class? Or a version of KerbalEdu just for the school system?
Does the KSP version also have an opportunity to study science like in KerbalEdu?

There are so many options for buying in KSP - which version is the main one to start a child's play?
I ask for your help as I am a little confused ...
Thanks!

59 minutes ago, VeronikaStrel said:

Are there no lessons in KSP?

There are many lessons to be learned but they are not structured the way  the lessons in EDU have been. The forum is a great place to ask questions and get guidance about the game from friendly and knowledgeable players.

Can you please tell me if it is possible to study and take lessons for one child under the guidance of a mother, without a class? Or a version of KerbalEdu just for the school system?

I'm sure that anyone who is willing to learn the concepts themselves can also teach them to a child. I think some background reading in the basic concepts of aerodynamics and orbital mechanics would be  of great use.

Does the KSP version also have an opportunity to study science like in KerbalEdu?

Yes however the game involves lots of trial and error and asking for assistance than EDU.

I bought KerbalEdu for $ 40 for him, but I still couldn't open the game. I sent a letter with a question, but have not received an answer yet.

I have just purchased Kerbal EDU from the TeacherGaming store and I'm finding the setup and installation to be a more difficult process to setup and install than the game. Where did you purchase your copy?

The one immediate issue I see is that the only version you can download, without going through the app and account setup process appears to be the Linux version which will not be compatible with a windows operating system. If you did get your copy from TeacherGaming you will have received an email titled "[TeacherGaming} Your KerbalEdu Licence Key". This contains the steps you will need to go through to create a classroom, add students and install the software.

There are so many options for buying in KSP - which version is the main one to start a child's play?

I think Edu would be a great way to introduce a child to the basic concepts of flight and spaceflight. The game allows for many different ways to have fun from aircraft to spacecraft, rovers, and even submarines and robotics. If you are interested in purchasing the game I would recommend the complete edition as it contains the full game and both DLC's (the DLC's add a lot more content to the game). It goes on special regularly at over 50% off so checking the steam store every few weeks is worth while.

Edited by James Kerman
added information

• 2 months later...

Now that TeacherGaming is going under Are there any recommendations for a school that has a large emphasis on the space program to acquire the product for a lab environment?

Edited by Vanamonde
Please do not link to commercial services.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 12:49 PM, PJK said:

Now that TeacherGaming is going under Are there any recommendations for a school that has a large emphasis on the space program to acquire the product for a lab environment?

Chicagoland is increasing on the amount of schools with enhanced libraries such as "ilabs". Coding is a large part of these schools and I am sure you will be able to find strong space influences on STEM discovery nights.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.