[1.8+] Procedural Fairings

pap1723

@rsparkyc has decided to take an extended break from KSP, and in his absence, we at the KSP-RO team, have updated the Procedural Fairings mod. When he comes back, he will take it back over (probably as part of the KSP-RO team) as he did a great job of maintaining it in @e-dog absence. This is the previous forum post: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/161733-150-procedural-fairings-1505-20181018/

Procedural Fairings

Procedural Fairings is a mod that creates fairings that can automatically reshape for any attached payload.

In the newest version, we have added 4 (10 with part variants) additional Payload Adapters to use as well as full Textures Unlimited support. Thanks to @Electrocutor for providing the new Fairing Textures and for the Textures Unlimited Support. Thank you to @Shadowmage for the assets of the Hollow Base Ring and Hollow Truss adapters. Thank you to @NecroBones for the assets for the Ribbed and Truss adapters.

PayloadAdapters.PNG

From Left to Right: Standard Base Ring, NEW Hollow Base Ring, NEW Hollow Truss (2-1, 4-1, 4-3 variants), NEW Ribbed (2-1, 4-1, 4-3 variants), NEW Truss (2-1, 4-1, 4-3 variants), Standard Extended Base

PayloadAdaptersTU.PNG

Textures Unlimited Recoloring Masks

Fairings.PNG

From Left to Right: Standard Fairing, NEW Gray & White, NEW Textures Unlimited Recolor, NEW Textures Unlimited Recolor, NEW Orange Stripe, NEW Dark

For even more fairing textures, please see Procedural Fairings For Everything! that was recently updated to support the new Procedural Fairings as well.

DOWNLOAD

Download from GitHub!

Also available from CKAN

Licensed under CC-BY-4.0

Changelog

Spoiler

• Recompiled for all versions of KSP from 1.4.x through 1.7.x
  • NEW: Payload Adapter Parts => Hollow Truss, Ribbed, Truss and Base Ring
  • Thanks to @Shadowmage for the Hollow Truss and Hollow Ring assets
  • Thanks to @NecroBones for the Ribbed and Truss assets
  • Textures Unlimited Support (thanks to @Electrocutor)
  • Full Recoloring for all Parts
  • Implemented through the stock Part Variant System
  • Reorganization of the entire Mod Folder

• recompile for 1.5.0

• Support for 2.75 meter parts
  • recompile for 1.4.5

• Actual CKAN support

• Better CKAN support

• Merged in many changes from @Phineas Freak which included a major overhaul (Versioning changes, fairing density, stock texture support) 

• Recompiled for KSP 1.4.3

• Recompiled for KSP 1.3

Probably the final release for 1.2.2

• With the help of @sarbian, reverse engineered some changes from @KortexM
  • wait for part.editorStarted or part.started, then call an update to reset attached procedural parts.

Added the following changes by KortexM:

• - Ready for KSP 1.2 (recompiled, small changes to configs)
  • - Added Interstage Nodes (no trusses) to Fairings and Interstage Fairing, two connections possible on each node (up & down)
  • - A few code cleanups (foreach mostly)
  • - Fixed Fuel Crossfeed (be aware that flow to/from interstage nodes is affected too!)
  • - Fixed ghost nodes appearing when adding a new fairing base in the VAB/SPH
  • - Fixed blue ghost lines (invalid fairing outline) when having multiple fairing bases in VAB/SPH
  • - Fixed interstage nodes positions for Interstage Adapter when resized
  • - Some UI fixes
  • - Code cleanups (de-Linqed etc.)
  • - All other bugs/features untouched (hopefully..)

• Rebuilt for KSP 1.1.2.
  • Fixed thermal issues with FAR (patch by NathanKell).
  • Fixed procedural mass issues (patch by NathanKell).
  • Fixed auto-strut joint issue (connecting to the same rigid body).
  • Improved payload auto-strut performance (strut heaviest part only).

• Updated for KSP 1.1.0.

• Updated for KSP 1.0.4.
  • Merged pull request for Procedural Parts bug fix.
  • Adjusted thermal parameters for KSP 1.0.4 (hopefully).

• Updated for the new FAR.
  • Reduced fairing shape update rate in the editor to 2 times per second.
  • Adjusted default fairing decoupler value to avoid "vessel changed" messages spammed by bugged KSP sliders.

• Updated for KSP 1.0.2.
  • Rewrote automatic payload struts, strutting all shielded parts now.
  • Fixed bug when it was impossible to revert sometimes.
  • Fixed slowdown in the editor when tweaking fairing sides.
  • Fixed thrust plate mass parameters.

• Updated for KSP 1.0.
  • Procedural fairings now use new stock airstream shielding and drag cube rendering.
  • Inline fairings now check if the top is closed by a single big part of the same vessel. Make sure that's the case or the shielding won't work.
  • Changed and rearranged tech limits for the new tech tree.
  • Converted textures to DDS.
  • Fixed manual shape UI issues.
  • Number of shielded parts is now displayed in the right-click menu for the fairing base. It might be inaccurate in the editor.
  • Removed old deprecated parts (non-resizable fairing bases etc).

• Updated for KSP 0.90.
  • Added optional manual fairing shape controls.
  • Fixed tech restrictions checking in science mode (patch by Zwa333).

• Updated KAE DLL for KSP 0.25.
  • Payload auto-struts by marce155.

• Updated KAE DLL.

• Updated KAE DLL for KSP 0.24.2.

• Added procedural costs for PF parts, KSP 0.24.1 is required.
  • Added workaround for Win64 decoupler bug.
  • Made "removed" node markers much less visible (they are still somewhere 10km from the VAB).
  • Updated KAE DLL.

• Updated for KSP 0.24.

• Fixed collider bug introduced in 3.04.

• Added fake parts to make tech upgrades visible in the tech tree.
  • Restored TechRequired for old parts to avoid issues with loading old designs in career mode.
  • Fixed bug that allowed to cheat tech limits in career mode.
  • Reduced default fairing ejection torque.

• Added "sandbox" tech to specify minimum and maximum sizes in sandbox mode (see common.cfg).
  • Changed mass formula for all parts except side fairings. Generally, larger sizes are significantly lighter now.
  • Part mass is now displayed when you right-click the part in VAB.
  • Rebuilding side fairing mesh only when really needed (faster in VAB, especially with FAR).

• Updated KSPAPIExtensions, should work with Procedural Parts now.
  • A bit less restrictive tech, allowing sizes a bit larger and smaller than stock ones.
  • Trying to avoid moving attached parts after loading design or saved game.
  • Fixed wrong size of newly added side nodes.

• Updated KSPAPIExtensions.
  • Added size step parameters for RSS.

• Moved files up to GameData folder (no Keramzit folder anymore). Make sure to delete old mod before installing (which is a good practice anyway).
  • Added new resizable fairing bases with configurable number of side nodes.
  • Old parts (bases and adapter) are deprecated. Launched vessels should be fine, but you might have trouble loading old designs in VAB/SPH in career mode.
  • Added new part: Thrust Plate Multi-Adapter.
  • Using KSPAPIExtensions by Swamp-Ig for better tweakables.
  • Removed old keyboard-based tweaks - use new tweakables.
  • Tweaking outer diameter (with fairings), instead of inner radius.
  • Added fairing decoupler torque tweakable.
  • Side nodes (for attaching fairings) get larger with the base size to make them more sturdy in KSP 0.23.5+
  • Tech limits are not checked in sandbox mode anymore.
  • Extra payload radius is now zero by default.
  • Fixed interstage adapter decoupling with fuselage fairings.

• Added tweakables.
  • Rearranged tech tree, added 3.75m and 5m parts.
  • Interstage adapter is available earlier now, but its radius is limited by aerodynamics tech.
  • Launch clamps are ignored in payload scanning now.
  • Payload scanning doesn't follow surface attachment to the parent part anymore.
  • Improved interstage fairing shape when its top is inside payload.
  • Added base cone angle limit to make fairings look better.
  • Part descriptions and readme text copy edited by Duxwing.

• Improved payload scanning for interstage adapter.
  • Recompiled for KSP 0.23.

• Zero-radius payload is now used when no payload attached, so fairings will always reshape.
  • Added parts to the tech tree (except 3 and 5m parts).
  • Moved fuselage shrouds to Structural tab.
  • Changing adapter attachment node size with radius.

• Disabled fuel crossfeed on the interstage adapter because it confuses Engineer Redux
  • So added stock decoupler module to the interstage adapter's topmost node as to ease delta-v calculations.
  • Improved fairing shape for interstage adapter when fairing top is within payload.

• Added procedural interstage fairing adapter that has adjustable radii and height and decouples from the top part when fairings are ejected.
  • Added conic fuselage.
  • Fixed another inline fairing shape bug.

• Changed fuselage texture to distinguish it from fairings.
  • Fairing and fuselages' shapes can now be locked by mousing over the side fairing/fuselage and pressing L.
  • Reduced side nodes size for smaller base rings and 0.625m fairing base (for easier placement).
  • Inline fairings no longer make a top cone when they should instead make a cylinder

• Added experimental egg-shaped fuselage (a side fairing without decoupler).
  • Moved fairing decoupler code to separate PartModule.
  • Auto-struts are now created between the top inline base and side fairings as well: wobbly payloads might still wobble.
  • Fixed bug with misplaced fairings on new ring bases.

• Added low-profile fairing bases (base rings) intended for inline fairings. All of them have 4 side fairing attachment points.
  • Replaced base model with a lighter-looking one. It has the same size etc., and therefore won't break your existing ships.
  • Fuel crossfeed for fairing bases can now be toggled by mousing over them and pressing G in editor or using the right-click menu in flight.
  • Automatic strut creation between side fairings can be toggled by mousing over a base and press T.
  • Fixed inline fairings' not connecting with the top base sometimes.
  • Fixed nested inline fairings' not connecting to the proper base.
  • Fairing outline (blue lines) is not displayed now for inline fairings if sides are attached to any of the two bases.

• Inline truncated fairings are now created between two bases (one must be flipped). It won't work properly for off-center bases. If you want it off-center, tell me what for and how it should look.
  • Ejection force can now be changed by mousing over a side fairing and pressing F
  • Fixed rapid unplanned disassembly of side fairings when going out of time warp sometimes.

• Fixed ejection direction bug - how you place fairings now should not matter.

• So added invisible automatically-placed struts between side fairings as to prevent wobble.
  • So replaced ejectionNoseDv with ejectionTorque that all ejected fairings identically move regardless of shape.
  • Improved payload scanning for better fitting of mesh and box colliders.
  • Radius can now be adjusted by mousing over a base while holding R (the default key can be changed in part .cfg).
  • Fixed 'recursion' bug that caused misplaced fairings to uncontrollably grow. (It's also a foundation for future inline fairings).
  • Using a (hopefully) better method to offset side fairing center of mass.
  • Using proportionally smaller part of texture for 1/3 (and smaller angles) side fairings to reduce texture stretching.
  • Renamed "capsule-shaped" fairings to "egg-shaped" to be more Kerbal.

• Fix for future FAR compatibility (needs FAR version 0.9.5.2 or later to actually work).
  • Less rotation on eject to reduce collisions with payload and lower stages.
  • Conic side fairings added, original ones are made a bit more capsule-shaped.

• Initial release.

Edited by pap1723
PFFE

2 hours ago, Nightside said:

Thanks @pap1723 and the rest of the RO crew! I've been wanting to reinstall this but I got lost in the forks.

Very nice OP, by the way.

But why is the download folder called Procedural Textures?

Wow, because I messed up! Lol, it is the correct thing, I just messed up the .ZIP name. It is fixed now.

Wow overhaul of procedural fairings(and I don't need to download texture separately this time lol, plus texture unlimited support)!  Wonder Whether patches for gravity turn mod available?(or it's on gravity turn author's side?) Gravity turn won't support the previous version of procedural fairings as in it won't automatically decouple fairing after specific dynamic pressure threshold. Mechjeb(ascent guidance) works with procedural fairings tho if I recall correctly.

btw someone asked me whether there is shiny fairing I think I could link him here!

Edited by ssd21345

2 hours ago, ssd21345 said:

Gravity turn won't support the previous version of procedural fairings as in it won't automatically decouple fairing after specific dynamic pressure threshold. Mechjeb(ascent guidance) works with procedural fairings tho if I recall correctly.

There is a specific PF decoupler module that a mod must look for in order to implement that: ProceduralFairingDecoupler. MJ has implemented the proper code to check for that module but GT is missing that.

For some strange reason, I can't get PF to properly decouple (nor can I get other fairings to do so, but Squad's own work fine).  They worked before I installed (and subsequently removed) Visual Enhancements, which is the only change I've made.

When I trigger the decoupling, the fairings don't move, but if I go into time warp, they drift through each other, and then when the warp ends, snap back to their original place and destroy the craft.

Any ideas on what could have borked?

Edited by AdmiralSirJohn

• 1 month later...

The ribbed and truss adapters are borked. Initially the decoupler node and the side nodes are okay, but after attaching and detaching stuff, the nodes moved.

Most likely after resizing the trusses.

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really starting to like this mod now that I understand how to shape the cones myself for some precision. There are just some quality of life improvements that could be made. I like to build my fairing and then do final adjustments on my payload. Currently I have to either remove the bottom of the rocket (from the fairing base) or the fairings themselves and it feels messy. How easy is it to add the ability to open the fairing whilst in the VAB and/or to make it transparent? This functionality is provided by Simple Adjustable Fairings and I feel like it could work well here. Overall: great mod now that I know how to use it! 

On 7/3/2019 at 6:43 AM, Gordon Dry said:

The ribbed and truss adapters are borked. Initially the decoupler node and the side nodes are okay, but after attaching and detaching stuff, the nodes moved.

Most likely after resizing the trusses.

Can confirm there is some sort of problem with the attachment nodes on the new truss adapters.

After switching variants the node for fairing on one side will move to the other side and overlap with the other node.

IAJYgbB.jpg

5W0aIym.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I updated my patch file. Its use case is any of those combined with any of those:

• ProceduralFairings
  • ProceduralFairings-ForEverything
  • Bluedog_DB + Jso_Bdb_PF
  • 000_TexturesUnlimited
  • BasicProceduralTextures
  • WrobzTextures

This is the always updated download link (what's in my game is in that download):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lnmihjgty9orzjq/ProceduralFairingsRetext.zip?dl=1

Very simple showcase pics:
TwAJq4z.pngBfLksns.png
The third from the right (Vulcan mesh, Titan texture) is transparent from inside. But it should does not matter. And I did not make it like that :sticktongue:

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, dlrk said:

What's the distinction between ejection power and ejection torque?

exactly what you probably suspect. I just did a quick test since I've only suspected myself - 0 torque 1 power and the fairing shot straight sideways from the payload. 1 torque 0 power and the fairing flipped right over from the top, even clipping through the payload in the process. So, power is how far away you want it to be pushed and torque is how much you want the top to peel away as it does so

I added this with CKAN and I cannot get the fairings to work for the love of me.

The blue lines show but no fairings will show up.

Protected parts also stays at 0 even after maxing out all the sizes with a single capsule in it.

Anyone any ideas ?

2 hours ago, Conz said:

I added this with CKAN and I cannot get the fairings to work for the love of me.

The blue lines show but no fairings will show up.

Protected parts also stays at 0 even after maxing out all the sizes with a single capsule in it.

Anyone any ideas ?

It sounds like you added a base but haven't yet added a fairing. There are 2 parts under the payload tab that are the actual fairings: a conic fairing and an ogive fairing. Attach those (with symmetry) to the side nodes on the base and the fairing will generate based on the blue lines.

20 hours ago, efmd3 said:

It sounds like you added a base but haven't yet added a fairing. There are 2 parts under the payload tab that are the actual fairings: a conic fairing and an ogive fairing. Attach those (with symmetry) to the side nodes on the base and the fairing will generate based on the blue lines.

That was it .. i had missed that requirement.

Also it seems those fairings don't fit on all the bases but at least I have some shielded cargo now :-)

• 1 month later...

How can I tweak the config file to prevent parts inside the fairing from heating up? I'm using RSS and would like to use a fairing as a heatshield by tweaking the configs to allow for higher heat, however, after adjusting the heat tolerance the shielded parts still explode inside the fairing. Any way to get around this? I've got a cool Mars lander in mind, and this would be the best way to get it to work.

Actually what seems to be happening is that rover wheels and landing gear are overheating whereas everything else is fine. Using the debug menu I was able to see this. Is there anything that can be done about it? The fairing base indicates that the parts are shielded but they are generating drag and overheating on re-entry. All the other parts are fine.

57 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:
  • First, asking for updates is against forum rules.
  • Second, the mod hasn't been updated for 1.8 yet.
  • Third, the reason is a bug in KSP which causes the issue you see.

Best to wait for 1.8.1

Sorry for asking. Recently started playing KSP again. Didn't know the rule about asking for updates. Sorry.

Hey, running KSP 1.6.1 with RSS RO and most of the usual recommended mods, CKAN installed with all the procedural part stuff.

I've noticed something. Not sure if it's a bug, or intentional or what, but when I place mass (a 300 ton tank) onto a fairing base's top node, my Delta V barely changes, (I think I was around 18,000 and it may have moved to 17,970), but when I put the same mass onto the rocket without the fairing base (i.e mass making direct contact), the mass takes effect and my DV drops (as it should) down to around 10k.

This was super confusing for me until I figured out what was going on. Creating a super heavy lifter with a temporary 300t lead ballast tank to test stuff out, got the correct dv for LEO, took the ballast off, made everything shiny, fairing's on, 300t payload on, and dv was showing 18k (in mechjeb)- the 300 ton payload not affecting the outputted DV with a fairing base in the way??/

Edit: Seems to register the mass when the fairing base is attached to the payload, as opposed to attaching the payload to the fairing base

Edited by Pronoes

42 minutes ago, Pronoes said:

Edit: Seems to register the mass when the fairing base is attached to the payload, as opposed to attaching the payload to the fairing base

The root part needs to be located on the payload stage to get reliable dv figures.

• 2 weeks later...

Barring end user issues (highly possible), Proc Fairings doesn't appear to be working in 1.8  The texture for the blue guidelines is broken and the scaling isn't working.

Edit: I'm reliably informed that this path has changed in the update: https://github.com/KSP-RO/ProceduralFairings/blob/master/Source/ProceduralFairings/FairingBase.cs#L370`

Edited by Friznit