[1.8+] Procedural Fairings

pap1723

I'm hoping someone who *knows* the coding of this mod, can help answer a question for me. (Most likely, I may have moar , too :) )
I'm having trouble with an odd sized model that I am trying to resize to a a standard KSP size, as a PF base.

The part is using the same model, thats used for a *non-*ProceduralFairings base. THAT part, I can get to rescale correctly by using the normal scaling keys in the cfg.
However, something in the PF modules must be overriding that.
The only thing I can see that *might* do that, is this:

name = ProceduralFairingBase
baseSize = 1.15

or this:

name = KzFairingBaseResizer
size = 1.25

My issue, is that even with commenting both those keys out, my part is *still* getting rescaled (with both scale = and rescaleFactor = both not defined (default 1.0 & 1.25, resp.)

*Incidentally*, tho, the part *is* ending up being scaled at 1.15, which I see is the same as baseSize = ...
What is the default for that key, *if not defined*?... it wouldnt happen to be 1.15, would it?
And since I'm asking, whats the default for size = , if not defined?

EDIT: so, yeah... looks like something in a PF module completely over-rides rescaleFactor
next up, seeing if it also over-rides mesh rescaling vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

Hello! I was wondering if this was normal? 
uQ7UC8W.png?1

[ERR 22:32:48.242] Module ProceduralFairingBase threw during OnStart: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: shader
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Material.CreateWithShader(UnityEngine.Material,UnityEngine.Shader)
  at UnityEngine.Material..ctor (UnityEngine.Shader shader) [0x00007] in <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0 
  at Keramzit.ProceduralFairingBase.makeLineRenderer (System.String gameObjectName, UnityEngine.Color color, System.Single wd) [0x00053] in <c75827b13eab4b98a6e5bc9c9789e788>:0 
  at Keramzit.ProceduralFairingBase.OnStart (PartModule+StartState state) [0x0008e] in <c75827b13eab4b98a6e5bc9c9789e788>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00120] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 

yes i love this mod. and I have been using this mode for a very long time. but there are some problems. I would be very happy if someone could fix it.

mYsTrV3.png

yes i love this mod. and I have been using this mode for a very long time. but there are some problems. I would be very happy if someone could fix it.

On 1/31/2020 at 9:22 AM, FabioofSpace said:

Hello! I was wondering if this was normal? 
uQ7UC8W.png?1

no, thats not normal...
But I was recently modding on some custom fairings for PF, and had that same exact issue... even had that same pink square.
Cant remember exactly what it was, or how I fixed it... I was changing lots of stuff, moving/deleting files, & other *stuff* was going on.

Pretty sure tho, it was just a matter of deleting and reinstalling PF...
There are several forks out there, none seemingly officially updated for 1.8.1. IIRC, I think i had your issue when I was using Kerbas-ad-astra's fork.. but dont hold me to that.

Try this one... its the one I have working in my 1.8.1 dev install:
https://github.com/KSP-RO/ProceduralFairings/releases

EDIT: Friznit reminded me... yeah, I'm actually using the dev version from the 1.8 branch... my bad :(

Edited by Stone Blue

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So lately I've been having issues with the fairing taking too much aero stress (I'm guessing) and separating from the fairing base. Even when putting lots of struts onto the fairing to secure it, and rigid attachment, and autostruts, they still fall off when the stresses are too high. It's often the trailing fairing that comes off during the gravity turn, which doesn't make much sense. The stock fairings do not do this.

The first image is a 5m payload fairing base, with the stock PF conic fairings with a little bit of extra radius.

The second image is a 3.75m payload adapter, with the stock PF conic fairings.

fO9VJ0L.jpg

unknown.png

Edited by bigyihsuan

Is there a mod for being able to disable the decouplers? As I am making a kinda Super Heavy / Starship and I want a skirt for the upper and lower stage, and I am going to attach the engines to those parts so having a decoupler would unnecessarily risky. In 1.6.3 I used to have the ablity to remove the decouplers, but I can't do it now... Also used to be able to turn off RCS staging.

Edit: d.w. I remembered I hadn't enabled Advanced Tweakables.

Edited by etheoma

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

The fairings themselves are separate parts, one for cone shaped and one for egg shaped.

OK

Trying to use on previously saved rocket.

Using the fairing base the outline is in blue but can't get the fairing to show even when on launchpad...

30 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

OK

Trying to use on previously saved rocket.

Using the fairing base the outline is in blue but can't get the fairing to show even when on launchpad...

Just to amplify @OrbitalManeuverscomment...the fairings themselves are separate parts and need to be added after you place the fairing base.

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

So you can't click and drag to build the fairings anymore?

That's the stock fairings.

With PF you can tweak the shape via a slider in the part right click menu (don't sure if it's a right click on the base or the fairings tho.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@skzbr I assume KSP v1.10.0?
There were major fairing changes made in 1.10.0, that broke every mod dealing with fairings, but will be *fixed* hopefully in 1.10.1... You may have to sit in 1.9.1 till then :/

Edited by Stone Blue

1 minute ago, Stone Blue said:

@skzbr I assume KSP v1.10.0?
There were major fairing changes made in 1.10.0, that broke every mod dealing with fairings, but will be *fixed* hopefully in 1.10.1... You may have to sit in 1.9.1 till then :/

Yes, KSP 1.10.0

Thank you!

But the problem is that even unninstaling procedural fairing, keeps the same error

Edited by skzbr

5 hours ago, skzbr said:

Now my original STOCK fairings are unable to construct. Anyone with this issue?

I'm experiencing the same error (unable to build or do anything other than placing the stock fairings) - here's an excerpt from the KSP.log-File

[LOG 23:06:56.421] fairingSize4 added to ship - part count: 6
[ERR 23:06:56.465] Exception handling event onEditorPartEvent in class ModuleProceduralFairing:System.Exception: FSM Error: Cannot switch states before starting. Please call StartFSM() before running the FSM.
at KerbalFSM.RunEvent (KFSMEvent evt) [0x0001b] in <c168e21ec56346b082f89043e76162e1>:0
at ModuleProceduralFairing.onEditorPartEvent (ConstructionEventType evt, Part p) [0x00061] in <c168e21ec56346b082f89043e76162e1>:0
at EventData`2[T,U].Fire (T data0, U data1) [0x000b0] in <c168e21ec56346b082f89043e76162e1>:0

[EXC 23:06:56.467] Exception: FSM Error: Cannot switch states before starting. Please call StartFSM() before running the FSM.
KerbalFSM.RunEvent (KFSMEvent evt) (at <c168e21ec56346b082f89043e76162e1>:0)
ModuleProceduralFairing.onEditorPartEvent (ConstructionEventType evt, Part p) (at <c168e21ec56346b082f89043e76162e1>:0)
EventData`2[T,U].Fire (T data0, U data1) (at <c168e21ec56346b082f89043e76162e1>:0)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
EventData`2:Fire(ConstructionEventType, Part)
EditorLogic:<SetupFSM>b__195_29()
KerbalFSM:RunEvent(KFSMEvent)
KerbalFSM:updateFSM(KFSMUpdateMode)
KerbalFSM:UpdateFSM()
EditorLogic:Update()

Added this already into KSP bugtracker (->Bug #25673).

#Postedit: Whitelisting the stock fairings from ReStock actually helps ->klick (KSP-Forum)<-

Edited by Cookie0815
soluting for mod-related bug found