[1.8+] Procedural Fairings

pap1723

KSP 1.12 with the latest PF - upgrades in career does not seem to work.  Interestingly, I wrote a patch to add 1.875 m base and this upgrade works. It's a simple copy of  FairingBaseMax2_75m

+PARTUPGRADE[FairingBaseMax2_75m]:NEEDS[ProceduralFairings]
{
    @name = FairingBaseMax1_875m
    @techRequired = aerodynamicSystems 
    @title = Procedural Fairings Max Diameter 1.875m
    @description = Allows fairings bases up to 1.875 meters.
}

@PART:HAS[@MODULE[ProceduralFairingBase]:HAS[#mode]]:AFTER[ProceduralFairings]
{
    @MODULE[ProceduralFairingBase]
    {
        @UPGRADES
        {
            UPGRADE
            {
                name__ = FairingBaseMax1_875m
                maxSize = 1.875
            }
	}
    }
}

However, none of the original upgrades work.  

BTW, 2.75 m and 4 m base upgrades seem to have tech levels swapped, which puts 2.75 m upgrade further down the tech tree than 4 m upgrade. It's advConstruction for 4 m and specializedConstruction for 2.75 m. Pretty sure it was meant to be the other way. 

EDIT:

OK, I believe I figured this one out. My patch as it is adds my upgrade to the end  of the list of upgrades. So I guess that KSP gets the list of unlocked upgrades and goes through them in just one go, updating  all keys whenever it finds a matching upgrade. So since mine was the last on the list,  maxSize = 1.875 was always applied last, regardless of any other unlocked upgrades. Changing UPGRADE to UPGRADE,1 did the trick by putting my upgrade before 2.75 one (not the most elegant solution but it works for me).

Edited by JebIsDeadBaby

• 2 months later...

alright, i know a lot of people have been having issues with the fairing sizes being limited to 1.5 meters in sandbox. I am having this issue as well, but the only difference is that i do have the part upgrades applied setting enabled, so i don't know what to do. This is on a heavily modded 1.12 save without rp1

How do I edit my fairings so that there is a hole in the top for LES, if I have my LES clip through the hole when I want to jettison my LES before my fairing it breaks the fairing off.

Edited by tinyspy44

12 hours ago, tinyspy44 said:

How do I edit my fairings so that there is a hole in the top for LES, if I have my LES clip through the hole when I want to jettison my LES before my fairing it breaks the fairing off.

You should use procedural interstages, not the fairings.

• 3 weeks later...

Echoing the drag issues another user mentioned a few months back.

From what I can see using the aero debug tool and F12, procedural fairing bases don't have any drag occlusion area. The game ends up thinking that anything attached directly beneath the fairing base is completely unprotected from the airflow. Usually that's a fuel tank with a flat top, resulting in very high drag and an aerodynamically unstable rocket.

I haven't tried it with FAR as I'm not familiar enough with that mod to interpret the numbers.

Hey!
Does anyone experience a bug with procedural fairing (and interstage) where the parts/stage clip through the procedural base, and then the stage just collapse and fall from the rocket ? As something is not properly connected to a node 

i tried different versions but none seem to work with the latest version of the game and my game install. It’s heavily modded

thanks a lot, i will try upload a log if needed 

• 1 month later...

Things I like about this mod:

- Makes for nicer, smoother fairings.
- More customizable colors.
- Fairings are persistent debris parts with collisions.

Things I don't like about this mod:

- It replaces the stock fairing parts, including the stock fairing build method. Why not just make new parts?
- Interstaging, honestly, is too complicated and I don't understand. The default fairings you just dragged them to where you wanted and clicked, and your interstage fairing was done. How am I expected to conjoin a fairing with, say, one of the MH Soyuz capsules to smooth it out?
- Fairing bases themselves are not colorable.

TBH just making the fairings new parts and not replacement would address the problems. In my opinion it's bad form to replace stock parts completely outside of texture/model replacements, or some kind of overhaul where that behavior is expected.

Edited by Frostiken

22 minutes ago, Frostiken said:

Things I like about this mod:

- Makes for nicer, smoother fairings.
- More customizable colors.
- Fairings are persistent debris parts with collisions.

Things I don't like about this mod:

- It replaces the stock fairing parts, including the stock fairing build method. Why not just make new parts?
- Interstaging, honestly, is too complicated and I don't understand. The default fairings you just dragged them to where you wanted and clicked, and your interstage fairing was done. How am I expected to conjoin a fairing with, say, one of the MH Soyuz capsules to smooth it out?
- Fairing bases themselves are not colorable.

TBH just making the fairings new parts and not replacement would address the problems. In my opinion it's bad form to replace stock parts completely outside of texture/model replacements, or some kind of overhaul where that behavior is expected.

Strange, I still have the stock fairings. Check if you installed everything correctly

• 2 weeks later...

This might not be the right thread, but has anyone encountered problems with procedural fairings thinking retracted antennas are extended?

Here without antenna:

M8SuDE8.png

Then after adding a single stock C2 HG-5 antenna there are bounding box issues:

evB9q1e.png

The weird thing is that the antenna is not extended when launching, but procedural fairings seems to think it is:

Sv4msMO.png

I'm running a modded install, but this is a stock antenna, so mods shouldn't be the issue, right?

Any idea what's causing this?

How can I resolve this issue?

Edited by FasterThanFlourite

11 hours ago, FasterThanFlourite said:

This might not be the right thread, but has anyone encountered problems with procedural fairings thinking retracted antennas are extended?

Here without antenna:

M8SuDE8.png

Then after adding a single stock C2 HG-5 antenna there are bounding box issues:

evB9q1e.png

The weird thing is that the antenna is not extended when launching, but procedural fairings seems to think it is:

Sv4msMO.png

I'm running a modded install, but this is a stock antenna, so mods shouldn't be the issue, right?

Any idea what's causing this?

How can I resolve this issue?

Happens to me, my simple solution is to just remove the antenna, put the fairings, lock the fairings shape, then add the antenna again.

Edited by Firebird989

Just now, FasterThanFlourite said:

I did design the fairing manually, but your solution is definitely much better.

Does it only happen for this antenna or for other parts, too @Firebird989 ?

As far as I know it just happen for some antennas, (HG-5, HG-20 (Restock+), and HG-55) other deployable antennas works just fine, for example those from Tantares

• 1 month later...

Does anyone else have an issue where using procedural fairings throws off DeltaV calculations from mechjeb/kerbal engineer? Using stock fairing or the ones from AIES for example, the calculations are fine, but procedural fairings seem to make the calculations think each stage will remain attached and therefore slow the rest of the stages down. Hope that makes sense. 

On 5/1/2022 at 8:14 PM, harleyquinneth said:

Does anyone else have an issue where using procedural fairings throws off DeltaV calculations from mechjeb/kerbal engineer? Using stock fairing or the ones from AIES for example, the calculations are fine, but procedural fairings seem to make the calculations think each stage will remain attached and therefore slow the rest of the stages down. Hope that makes sense. 

Check your staging.  I've also found that having the root part for the craft be in the payload (if the payload has its own fuel and engine) in the fairing can make a dv calc difference.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2022 at 1:24 PM, Nicodo123 said:

好吧,我知道很多人一直对沙箱中的整流罩尺寸限制在 1.5 米有疑问。我也遇到了这个问题,但唯一的区别是我确实启用了部件升级应用设置,所以我不知道该怎么做。这是在没有 rp1 的情况下进行了大量修改的 1.12 保存

Hi.  Do you know how to solve this issue?:)

• 3 weeks later...

On many, many rockets one of the fairings falls off immediately on the launchpad with the following flight event log:

Structural failure on linkage between Procedural Fairing and FB - Procedural Fairing Base.

This makes the fairings essentially useless. Does anyone have any input on this problem?

Edited by FasterThanFlourite

3 minutes ago, donnager fan said:

How do I get 5m Size on the Procedural Interstage Fairing Adapter?

I'm guessing that you're looking for something other than "click the button until it says 5m." Maybe you're in sandbox mode and you need to click an option called "all upgrades applied in sandbox" or some such. Or, if you're in career/science, maybe 5m isn't unlocked yet?

In any event, I just click the button until it says 5m :)

Spoiler

Rw5rbaD.png

14 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I'm guessing that you're looking for something other than "click the button until it says 5m." Maybe you're in sandbox mode and you need to click an option called "all upgrades applied in sandbox" or some such. Or, if you're in career/science, maybe 5m isn't unlocked yet?

Reveal hidden contents

Rw5rbaD.png

Yeah I am in Sandbox, Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Hide contents

Rw5rbaD.png

Sorry to bother But i enabled Apply all upgrades in sandbox and i still can only resize to 1.5m, is it a config issue?

18 minutes ago, donnager fan said:

Sorry to bother But i enabled Apply all upgrades in sandbox and i still can only resize to 1.5m, is it a config issue?

Sorry, if that's not it I'm out of my depth. I guess one thing you could do is start a science game, then use the cheat menu to unlock all technology and progression, and then see if it works. If it still doesn't work that would be puzzling indeed.

• 5 weeks later...

Is there a way to adjust the "snapping" for the size adjustments for Procedural Fairings?

(As noted in the linked post below) I have a patch installed for Procedural Parts that snaps the size adjustments to fractions (specifically 1/2 and 1/8 of 1.25m) and I want to have Procedural Fairings do the same.

On 7/13/2022 at 5:13 AM, bigyihsuan said:

Is there a way to adjust the "snapping" for the size adjustments for Procedural Fairings?

(As noted in the linked post below) I have a patch installed for Procedural Parts that snaps the size adjustments to fractions (specifically 1/2 and 1/8 of 1.25m) and I want to have Procedural Fairings do the same.

Here's the equivalent patch for Procedural Fairings:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ProceduralFairingBase]]:AFTER[ProceduralFairings]
{
	{
		%diameterStepLarge = 0.625
		%diameterStepSmall = 0.15625
	}
}

2 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Here's the equivalent patch for Procedural Fairings:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ProceduralFairingBase]]:AFTER[ProceduralFairings]
{
	{
		%diameterStepLarge = 0.625
		%diameterStepSmall = 0.15625
	}
}

Thanks, looks like it's using the same keys for the modules.