[1.8+] Procedural Fairings

pap1723

56 minutes ago, bigyihsuan said:

Thanks, looks like it's using the same keys for the modules.

I thought that at first but confusingly it didn't work. After checking the source code I found that the fields were named differently between the two mods. e.g. diameterStepLarge (PF) vs diameterLargeStep (PP)

• 2 weeks later...

Y'all in career - if you're playing with the difficulty setting that forces you to purchase parts before you can use them, you will have to buy the fairing size upgrades in R&D in order to use sizes larger than 1.5m as the upgrades will not show up in the parts list.

unknown.png

• 1 month later...

I'm trying this mod; It's great, but i experiencing a lot of drag at launch. 

if I have understood correctly from other posts, this is due to the fact that unlike stock fairing these do not reduce the drag of the payload. Is there a solution besides more gimbal and smaller fairings?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 6:56 PM, Electrosynthesis said:

Echoing the drag issues another user mentioned a few months back.

From what I can see using the aero debug tool and F12, procedural fairing bases don't have any drag occlusion area. The game ends up thinking that anything attached directly beneath the fairing base is completely unprotected from the airflow. Usually that's a fuel tank with a flat top, resulting in very high drag and an aerodynamically unstable rocket.

Is there any fixes for this? The problem is still there. 

• 1 month later...

For some reason I cant scale any of the fairing bases any larger than 1.500m, and I've tried a lot of things.. Any help available? I'm not using career mode and I think its somehow linked. 

Edited by BronzeShoe20968
typo's

1 hour ago, BronzeShoe20968 said:

For some reason I cant scale any of the fairing bases any larger than 1.500m, and I've tried a lot of things.. Any help available? I'm not using career mode and I think its somehow linked. 

When making a new non-career/science save, you need to check "Part Upgrades Enabled" in the save settings.

I like the shape of this fairing a lot and also the functions and base.
Unfortunately, the fairings make that the rockets have a tendency to flip over.

With a stock fairing the rocket goes perfectly into orbit, with a procedural fairing the rocket flipp shortly after launch. Same Parts except the fairing.

Edited by MaikC

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I've been trying to get the Interstage fairing working, but for the life of me, can't figure it out.

The older version of the mod had different parts for interstage fairing as opposed to the full fairings

Any ideas?

The interstage fairing is the black one, and it (should) have at least 3 nodes: a floating top one, a node on the top of the base, and a bottom node. (EDIT: there should be interstage versions of all the fairing base parts, actually (except the thick base), so these instructions apply to the others as well)

Attach the base to the rest of the stack using the floating node. This node will decouple if you set the base to decouple.

If you're using a procedural thrust plate, attach to the middle node on the thrust plate.

Change diameters and height as normal. Attach your fairing parts.

Build the rest of the rocket off of the bottom node.

Edited by bigyihsuan

20 hours ago, bigyihsuan said:

The interstage fairing is the black one, and it (should) have at least 3 nodes: a floating top one, a node on the top of the base, and a bottom node. (EDIT: there should be interstage versions of all the fairing base parts, actually (except the thick base), so these instructions apply to the others as well)

Attach the base to the rest of the stack using the floating node. This node will decouple if you set the base to decouple.

If you're using a procedural thrust plate, attach to the middle node on the thrust plate.

Change diameters and height as normal. Attach your fairing parts.

Build the rest of the rocket off of the bottom node.

This may be a problem with Tweakscale, I'm using parts scaled up to 10m

When I follow your steps, it briefly seems to connect to the top, and then just folds over on top of the interstage adapter

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This may be a problem with Tweakscale, I'm using parts scaled up to 10m

When I follow your steps, it briefly seems to connect to the top, and then just folds over on top of the interstage adapter

Do you have screenshots of this?

18 hours ago, bigyihsuan said:

Do you have screenshots of this?

While I was creating the video, I realized what was wrong.

The parts are so big that the nodes were all hidden, once I started adjusting values in the PAW the nodes started showing up, and I figured out how to use it.

I suppose for normal sized parts it's fine, but the instructions are somewhat lacking.  If I get some time, I might write some steps to help people figure it out.  With KSP2 coming, my modding activity is slowing down (like everyone else), so I may have some time for it

52 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

With KSP2 coming, my modding activity is slowing down (like everyone else), so I may have some time for it

Wait, what? You're not going to port the hundreds of orphaned mods you're taking care of within the first week of KSP2's publication?

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

Wait, what? You're not going to port the hundreds of orphaned mods you're taking care of within the first week of KSP2's publication?

Port, or rewrite?

They've specifically said that mods won't be able to be ported over.

Besides, I want to enjoy playing the game for a little bit, at least  :-) 

43 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Port, or rewrite?

They've specifically said that mods won't be able to be ported over.

Besides, I want to enjoy playing the game for a little bit, at least  :-) 

It was tongue-in-cheek. I know there's a lot of people who are ignorant about the amount of work it takes to update mods — let alone rewrite from scratch — and have unrealistic expectation, even demands, for the modding community. On top of that, I suspect there will be a good amount of mod functionality that's included in the game. I doubt you'll be heartbroken over having no need to rewrite those.

19 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

It was tongue-in-cheek. I know there's a lot of people who are ignorant about the amount of work it takes to update mods — let alone rewrite from scratch — and have unrealistic expectation, even demands, for the modding community. On top of that, I suspect there will be a good amount of mod functionality that's included in the game. I doubt you'll be heartbroken over having no need to rewrite those.

• 2 months later...
On 8/21/2020 at 9:52 PM, Michaelo90 said:

I'm having problems with excessive drag. The fairings themselves are fine, but the part below the fairing base gets a lot more drag than normal. It seems to have about 100x more drag than when I use a stock fairing. Does anyone else have the same problem? I'm running PF 1.8.3 with KSP 1.9.1.

Other than that, I love the mod. It makes fairings so much easier and they look much better too. But when they actually create drag, they're useless :(

So I'm just starting to play ksp again, 2.5 years later, and this problem STILL exists! This mod is useless, is there another fairing mod out there that actually works?

Edited by Michaelo90

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/6/2023 at 6:00 PM, Michaelo90 said:

So I'm just starting to play ksp again, 2.5 years later, and this problem STILL exists! This mod is useless, is there another fairing mod out there that actually works?

Try "Simple Adjustable Fairings - KW Rocketry Pack". It hasn't been updated since 2021 but maybe it still works fine.

You can find it on CKAN. If you don't use CKAN look at https://github.com/blowfishpro/SimpleAdjustableFairings-KWRocketry

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2023 at 6:06 AM, BravoAlpha101st said:

Why does this mod remove the stock fairings? I've downloaded a craft from the Steam workshop but I can't use it because the stock fairings have been removed by this stupid mod. Also, how do I recolour the fairings, since everyone else seems to be able to do it?

No, this mod doesn't remove stock fairings by default. There however is a patch to enable this behavior but it needs to be manually renamed to actually apply: https://github.com/KSP-RO/ProceduralFairings/blob/master/GameData/ProceduralFairings/Patches/StockReplacement.cfg.disabled

For recoloring support you also need to install TU.

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone!
I'm trying to make a fairing that wraps around a part of the rocket's upper stage fuel tank. The problem is that, at the moment of separation, the fairing is fixed to the second stage of the rocket and they cannot be separated. Is there any solution?

Edited by Adrianstu98

2 hours ago, Adrianstu98 said:

Hello everyone!
I'm trying to make a fairing that wraps around a part of the rocket's upper stage fuel tank. The problem is that, at the moment of separation, the fairing is fixed to the second stage of the rocket and they cannot be separated. Is there any solution?

Are you using the fairing shell part and not the interstage shell part? The interstage shells aren't stageable and stay on the fairing base. Fairings should release when staged.

Screenshots are appreciated.

Edited by bigyihsuan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.