mods for console

37 minutes ago, tallhan said:

If you get the time please add a mod menu to consoles

Welcome to the forums. If you're looking for a mod menu, you can pause the game and do the Konami code (up up down down left right left right B A start) and it'll give you access to the debug menu. Doing this though will disable achievements for your save file, but from that menu you can enable indestructible parts, infinite fuel, change the gravity, automatically be placed into orbits and on planets, and just other fun stuff.

8 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Welcome to the forums. If you're looking for a mod menu, you can pause the game and do the Konami code (up up down down left right left right B A start) and it'll give you access to the debug menu. Doing this though will disable achievements for your save file, but from that menu you can enable indestructible parts, infinite fuel, change the gravity, automatically be placed into orbits and on planets, and just other fun stuff.

I believe @tallhan is asking for the option to install mods on console.

In response to that, there are a lot of issues with this. Mods would have to fall under the category of 'official' downloadable content, which could cause licensing arguments between SQUAD and mod creators. Added to that, Microsoft and Sony are pretty tight on what kind of stuff can be installed on their consoles, because they don't want some user unwittingly unleashing a virus on their console because they downloaded an uncertified mod.

In short, adding support for mods on console is more trouble than it's worth and probably won't happen. But we'll have to see.

Afaik, 

Skyrim (and fallout?) Allow mods on consoles. However, with some limitations. Mainly to do with assets.

Sony in particular does not allow user made assets to be used. So skyrim mods for ps4 generally rely on ingame assets and scripts. I think microsoft is less tight on regulations. 

I'm not sure how heavily ksp mods rely on external assets, i imagine a lot of them do. And just as many that don't. What remains is wether it's worth the effort and wether those mod creaters wish to write those mods for ps4 and xbox again. 

I sure love the idea, but to be fair, the ps4 section of skyrim mods is pretty disappointing precisely due to those limitations. Something like mechjeb or rss would be really cool to have on consoles but so would tweakscale and about every possible part someone ever made, if you're into that. 

If you really neeeed mods, it's probably easier and more rewarding to get the pc version... if you're on ps4 that is :)

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2019 at 12:17 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

I believe @tallhan is asking for the option to install mods on console.

In response to that, there are a lot of issues with this. Mods would have to fall under the category of 'official' downloadable content, which could cause licensing arguments between SQUAD and mod creators. Added to that, Microsoft and Sony are pretty tight on what kind of stuff can be installed on their consoles, because they don't want some user unwittingly unleashing a virus on their console because they downloaded an uncertified mod.

In short, adding support for mods on console is more trouble than it's worth and probably won't happen. But we'll have to see.

What about Farming Simulator 17? They allow user created mods on PS4. I'm not sure how but I'm sure that the authors could submit mods for approval by Sony and/or Squad/Division right? 

9 hours ago, Kodas said:

What about Farming Simulator 17? They allow user created mods on PS4. I'm not sure how but I'm sure that the authors could submit mods for approval by Sony and/or Squad/Division right? 

It's not really the same thing. Mods for Farming Simulator are mostly models and maps. While I could maybe see pure Part mods being allowed on console, most mods come with some kind of plugin.

Plugins on KSP are unmanaged (and potentially malicious) code. KSP doesn't have an API, it just leaves a bunch of stuff publically accessible. The game does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to stop a plugin from doing what it likes. If I REALLY wanted to (and you were stupid enough to give KSP administrator rights) I could wipe your entire hard drive.

I don't because I'm nice though ;)

My point is: Microsoft/Sony/whoever are not going to give modders the access to the barebones of their system that we need. It's not going to be a case of "recompile for PS4".

That's even before we get to, "who pays for certification?". I do this for free, I'm not paying. I can't expect T2 to pay it for me either.

Edited by severedsolo

3 hours ago, severedsolo said:

It's not really the same thing. Mods for Farming Simulator are mostly models and maps. While I could maybe see pure Part mods being allowed on console, most mods come with some kind of plugin.

Plugins on KSP are unmanaged (and potentially malicious) code. KSP doesn't have an API, it just leaves a bunch of stuff publically accessible. The game does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to stop a plugin from doing what it likes. If I REALLY wanted to (and you were stupid enough to give KSP administrator rights) I could wipe your entire hard drive.

I don't because I'm nice though ;)

My point is: Microsoft/Sony/whoever are not going to give modders the access to the barebones of their system that we need. It's not going to be a case of "recompile for PS4".

That's even before we get to, "who pays for certification?". I do this for free, I'm not paying. I can't expect T2 to pay it for me either.

I understand that they all use plugins and such like firespitter and fuel switch but I have noticed that there are some well two for sure I know of, expansion packs that have some new parts in the "History and Parts" pack that contains some mods that I've used and the "Breaking Ground" pack was released on the 30th of last month (but is still unavailable to PS4) actually contains Infernal Robotics one of my favorite mods. With the exception of say physics which could be modified through the debug menu if you fiddle with the settings (I don't know enough about it to say for certain lol) all I'm saying is that if we want the mods on console we as the ones who want them we should put in some effort instead of sitting on here saying it is imposible. I'm willing to help anyway I can. I don't know how to help but I want to. Theres got to be a way that this modding community (or those who want mods on console) as well as us (people who know diddly about modding) can work together, maybe compile a checklist or approved plugings that are acceptable. I know it's hard but I enjoy mods a lot I have KSP on PS4 and PC this modding community has been one of the most successful I've ever been apart of and if we can get past or differences I'm sure we can make this game more than even the developers could have dreamed of. 

Sorry for the rant. I really hope there is a way for us all to get what we want I'm willing to help just don't know how. 

-Kodas

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.