Editing persistent file to fix the docking port bug

I've run into the docking port bug.  It is the usual.  I click on "undock", the botton disappears, and nothing happens leaving the two parts attached.  

I understand that the you can open the the persistent file in a text editor and fix it.  (I don't have a PC, so I can't use the persistent file editor tool). But I can find the directions on exactly what you are suppose to do.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

As far as I know it's the same as it was 6 years ago. Which is a bit sad.

Well, it's more that there were maybe 18 different ways to cause the same bug to happen. Bug reporters have managed to get 15 reproducible examples to the devs, so they could fix them. But reproducible examples are getting harder and harder to come by -- and the devs say there is no way to fix some kind of underlying cause. So yeah, the bug is getting a lot rarer, but admittedly it does still happen.

The issue is that ports remain in a pre-docked state, right? If that can't be prevented in all cases, I still wonder why it can't be fixed after the fact. Make the undock function check if the opposite number is properly attached, and clean up the mess if it isn't.

@davidpsummers Today i loaded my save and one of my biggest stations had this docking part bug!

I am talking over 20 docking ports and 6 vessels docked!I was in despair but thankfully this amazing guy @Mythos made this awesome editor!

Only few clicks(It detects all the problems and you just right click and repair them) 

and everything is back to normal!I cant recommend it enough!

Edited by Boyster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.