[1.10.x] Precise Editor 1.4.0.1 [August 31 2020]

jfrouleau

Hi All,

There's a new release up on github today, and hopefully CKAN will pick it up shortly.  And hopefully I've done all the steps right.  This new release is compiled for 1.11, and adds a new "zero" button, for reverting a part's rotation back to 0.  That one's for you @Gavin786

• 4 weeks later...

The mod "Precise Editor" breaks both the TweakScale and the B9PartSwitch (maybe other mods too). I had many Exception errors from TweakScale and B9PartSwitch in my log file and when I removed the "Precise Editor" mod everything looks fine.

• 3 months later...
On 5/21/2021 at 10:23 AM, IvanBatura said:

A way to align parts on axes without having to copy/paste values manually would be very helpful.

I'm having trouble understanding what you're looking for here.  Can you elaborate a bit more?

9 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

I'm having trouble understanding what you're looking for here.  Can you elaborate a bit more?

Could you please add a button to copy (and maybe even paste) part's coordinates and rotation?

• 6 months later...

@zolotiyeruki Could you add a button on the Precise Editor 'Vessel' window for editing a root part?

A button will be opening the same editing window, as clicking `P` on the root part.

Editing position of a root part is also editing position of a whole vessel, so it could be there for convenience.

Edited by flart

9 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

I'm struggling to understand the utility of it.

One of the LGG mod has B hotkey to centralize vessel in the VAB on a specified height, but Modular launch pad need to be on a certain height, so after B hotkey I need to move a vessel strictly up or down, for that I need to find a root part. 

Moving with Shift is free for all axis, so doesn't work there.

• 1 month later...

I am having an issue where I try to edit a part's rotation value, and it either does not change, or it is changed to a value that I did not enter.

The  problem goes like this:

1) select a part with "P"

2) notice the rotation is something like 90.0002

3) change the rotation to 90.0

4) hit "enter" or click out of the box, and the value reverts back to 90.0002

the other problem is exactly the same, except after hitting "enter" the new rotation value will show 90.0004.  (this always seems to be additive)

I can make a video of this if you need.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

On the topic of the rotation angles....  I think it is because while in local mode it works in Euler Angles, not absolute angles.  Thus, the angles do not rotate a part directly, but in a chain that adds together.   This is very hard to wrap your brain around, as if the point before was not a perfect 0, then changing a value, will also change any that come after it as they are basically an additive chain.

When in Local mode this is why things shift around.  Working in Absolute mode seems to be much easier to understand.

On 4/2/2022 at 9:46 AM, IvanBatura said:

Once again, it would be handy to have a way to copy and paste all part's coordinates (XYZ), instead of going through each field one by one.

I've been thinking along similar lines, but rather a more graphical approach where one first selects a reference part, then the subsequently selected parts are treated as being in symmetry with regards to radial, vertical, and horizontal offset. So one adjusts the first part and the others follow as if in symmetry.  This would be most useful for cases of asparagus staging where the parts are not in a proper symmetry group, which is desired

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have a feature request. 
Would be good to have a copy-paste feature. For instance if I need to change symmetry settings for a part, but want to keep the position and rotation, I could copy pos/rot in precise editor, then change the symmetry(it breaks position) and restore the pos/rot with precise editor.

• 2 months later...

This is still kind of fuzzy, but...

1) A way to align a part relative bottom/top/side edge of another part

2) Polar coordinate manipulation. Easy ability to adjust radial distance from center, and radial rotation around vertical, rather than just x,y,x.  So polar coordinate manipulation around vertical axis?  And 1) but in polar coords

3) Ability to place parts into radial symmetry, (not just take them out of symmetry as KSP allows).  Maybe even different types of parts in a symmetry group?  That last could likely not rely on KSP symmetry but an internal mod symmetry structure?

Sorry so half-baked, but I've wished for all the above on occasion.  This is just running the ideas up a flagpole to see how many salute, not an actual request

14 minutes ago, darthgently said:

This is still kind of fuzzy, but...

1) A way to align a part relative bottom/top/side edge of another part

2) Polar coordinate manipulation. Easy ability to adjust radial distance from center, and radial rotation around vertical, rather than just x,y,x.  So polar coordinate manipulation around vertical axis?  And 1) but in polar coords

3) Ability to place parts into radial symmetry, (not just take them out of symmetry as KSP allows).  Maybe even different types of parts in a symmetry group?  That last could likely not rely on KSP symmetry but an internal mod symmetry structure?

Sorry so half-baked, but I've wished for all the above on occasion.  This is just running the ideas up a flagpole to see how many salute, not an actual request

Sorry, but not planning on doing that.  I'm adding some small features, what you are asking for is very significant.  I'll keep it in mind, but not at this time

LGG

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Sorry, but not planning on doing that.  I'm adding some small features, what you are asking for is very significant.  I'll keep it in mind, but not at this time

Understood, and I hope it was clear I wasn't making a request.  Just more curious if others see it as good ideas

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Adoption of this mod is now in progress.

On 12/19/2021 at 3:56 PM, flart said:

Could you add a button on the Precise Editor 'Vessel' window for editing a root part?

A button will be opening the same editing window, as clicking `P` on the root part.
Editing position of a root part is also editing position of a whole vessel, so it could be there for convenience.

Editor Extensions Redux has B hotkey to centralize vessel in the VAB on a specified height,
but Modular launch pad hover above floor, so after B hotkey I need to move a vessel strictly up or down, for that I need to find a root part. 

Moving with Shift is free for all axis, that violate centralization on x and y axis

Right now, I'm working on acouple of major bugs I found in the mod, confirmed that it wasn't any changes I did by using the previously released version:

All additional changes are on hold until I figure this out

Bug is:

• Entering a value in any of the rotation fields will not set the absolute angle, but will use the entered value as a delta.
  • In the VAB, changing the angles using the + and - keys do weird things

Edited by linuxgurugamer