jfrouleau

[1.7.x] Precise Editor 1.2.0 [May 1st]

Posted (edited)

16qU1hd.png

News (September 22, 2019)

With the announcement of KSP 2.0, I do not plan to continue developing this mod anymore. I will keep recompiling new versions as new KSP 1.x versions are released so that players can keep using it until the release of KSP 2.0 at which point I will drop the support for this mod.

Introduction
The KSP craft editor is an approximative tool where the part's position and angle are not displayed anywhere so we have to rely on primitive techniques like counting the number of grid snaps or placing parts "by eye". While this is the Kerbal spirit, this become annoying for the serious craft builder. So this mod is intended to remedy that and offer a more accurate alternative part placement method than mouse and gizmos. This might change your craft building experience !

Features

• Set part position or rotation exact value.
  • Increment / decrement position or rotation by a certain value.
  • All part transformations in absolute or local mode.
  • Automatically update all symmetry counterparts, struts and fuel lines.
  • Coordinate system axes shown on part selection.
  • Show the precise location of the center of mass, center of lift and center of thrust.
  • Set the attachment rules. Attach any part to any part.
  • Show the position and size of the part collider bounds.
  • Show the distance between 2 parts or their colliders to help with the creation of kerbal mechanical devices !

User's Manual

This mod has a single key. To edit a part, hover the mouse over it and press "P".
The Precise Editor button in the toolbar will show the vessel window where the coordinates for the CoM, CoL and CoT are displayed.

Useful Information

• Units for position are in meters with 4 decimals of precision so 0.0001 is 1/10th of a millimeter.
  • Units for rotation are in degrees and angles are Euler angles
  • You can copy/paste a value while editing a field.
  • Parts can be moved anywhere inside the VAB/SPH. No maximum distance from parent part limitation.
  • This mod is accurate enough to place parts in perfect symmetry without actually using symmetry mode.
  • To center a part on an axis with its parent part, simply set the local position to 0 on the corresponding axis.

Dependencies: None

Availability
Source: https://github.com/jfrouleau/PreciseEditor
Download: https://github.com/jfrouleau/PreciseEditor/releases
SpaceDock: https://spacedock.info/mod/2050/Precise%20Editor
License: GPLv3
Also available on CKAN

Contributors
@canisin

History
The motivation to make this mod came to me from making stock helicopters. I needed a way to make the most accurate bearings possible, center the rotor with the CoM and balance fuel so that the CoM stays constant. Also I was terribly annoyed while trying to adjust the authority limiter to exactly 50 and the slider keeps skipping from 51 to 49 back and forth. Precise Editor was born and it delivered the goods ! Now I share it with other players so that they can enjoy it and make better crafts. Since this mod was created, the game has changed a few things. For instance, there is no need to make stock bearings anymore with the robotic parts and the precision editing of tweakables is now stock.

Support
GitHub
I hesitated for a long time to put this mod on the KSP Forums because I already have a day job as a programmer and I hate tech support like the plague. This do not mean that I won't provide any but since I am working on this for free, I do not feel obligated to do so. That being said, don't hesitate to report bugs on GitHub and I will check it out when I have the time. Please provide detailed bug reproduction steps because if I can't reproduce it, I will not fix it. Also I am curious to know what in this mod do players find the most useful, how it could be improved or what feature would you like to see in this mod.

Changes from previous version

• Part Edition Window configuration automatically saved in a cfg file.
  • Removed the Tweakables window since tweakables precision editing is now stock.
  • Struts and fuel lines can be edited on both ends.
  • Added the Attachment Rules window where surface attachment rules can be edited. Now you can surface attach anything !
  • Pressing P while a part is selected but not attached will edit that part. Useful to edit attachment rules before attaching the part.
  • New icon.
Edited by jfrouleau
News update

Oh, this looks very nice.

Any reason to believe that it would be problematic to install under v1.6.1? I (like many others I'm sure), are holding back on v1.7 until all of our favorite mods are vetted/upgraded.

1 hour ago, BlueLineSwinger said:

Oh, this looks very nice.

Any reason to believe that it would be problematic to install under v1.6.1? I (like many others I'm sure), are holding back on v1.7 until all of our favorite mods are vetted/upgraded.

I tried it on KSP 1.6.1 and it seems to work just fine. Should you have any issue, you can use the version 1.1.0 of the mod which is compiled for KSP 1.6.1. It's not as good as the last one but it gets the job done.

Wow, this looks really cool and useful (I am a precision nerd)...thanks for putting this together @jfrouleau!

Will try out on 1.6.1

Posted (edited)

Wow! And to think I managed to play in the past without that mod... Unbelievable. Awesome jfrouleau!

Edited by Galenmacil

Posted (edited)

[Feature request]
Is it possible to give us a multi-select and group move/rotate? Would help me out so much while building... (multiselect not affected by part root so you can select multiple parts instead of a root they both belong to to move them, useful when two parts with different roots need to be moved with each other)
Also I'd like to have a 'cheat mode' that doesn't have limits on the number, so you can set e.g. deploy limit 450%, craft files allow for that, but the mod would make it way easier than tweaking the craft file itself.
Last thing is an exact fairing tweak where we can set exact numbers for the fairing section positions. Should also be affected by 'cheat mode' to allow us to do crazy stuff

And as all the others here say as well, that not is my probably most used mod that I have.

Thanks for taking a look at my requests
-HB Stratos

[EDIT]
Would also be cool if we could set the default rotation and move increments in a cfg file.

Edited by HB Stratos

Hi HB Stratos, I'm glad that you like and use my mod a lot. Those are excellent feature ideas ! Plus I have a couple of features that are implemented but not released yet such as editing both ends of struts and fuel lines, and changing attachment rules so that we can surface attach anything. I didn't have much time for KSP lately because I moved into a new house and there is a lot to do but I'll try to work on the mod.

Really like this idea:

"Would also be cool if we could set the default rotation and move increments in a cfg file."

Must have mod, thanks!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.