Share your rocket planes!

Here's a place to share your space planes/rocket planes if you don't want to make a whole new thread for 'em. Feel free to discuss them here too. Please post a .craft and screenshot!

Useful mods:

The C-7 Aviation pack hs tons of wings, engines mini-tanks, and more!

Long wings + Gravity Bomb adds more wings and a gravity bomb, strangely enough.

I'll start this off:

Plane/Rocket Fast Thing

This is a plane/rocket hybrid. The rocket boosts the plane up to ~25,000m, where the air is very thin. The plane then detaches and begins flying. I have almost surpassed Mach 5 with this plane (1571.3 / speed of sound = mach 4.6175321).

4VKad.jpg

lzY17.jpg

.craft file: lost :(. Trying to remake it...

Awesome thread idea!

First off I mastered the basics of spaceplane design, with a nice payload to boot!

3bd2K.jpg

Next it was time to put a spaceshuttle into space!!

R3ym9.jpg

After exceeding the potential a single hull could provide me new dual hull designs fortified with struts became a reality

03Bzt.jpg

Finally the lust for sheer power guided me to even bigger rocket designs using the largest parts available!

iiXfP.jpg

Awesome designs! Having a second set of wings is a really good idea for getting more lift.

My newest design: Fast Plane Mk II

With the demise of my first fast Plane, I've built another that can reach mach 5.5. My next goal is to break mach 10.

v560P.png

.craft attached below. You'll need the tweaked SAS mod, Sunday Punch mod, and C7 pack (with capsule set to plane cockpit). Yeah, the first stage is a bit 'cheat-y' with the tiny airplane tanks but that rocket uses fuel like you wouldn't imagine. Don't adjust the throttle or it will blow up!

I set myself the challenge of going for maximum possible distance without ever going higher than 500m altitude.

The first attempt was a very simple and boring rocketplane.

ksp_rocketplane.png

The second attempt was... a bit different. Technically it is capable of going much, much further than the first design, and it never breaks the altitude limit.

ksp_long_range_surface_rover.png

I call them Fire and The Wheel.

The second attempt was... a bit different. Technically it is capable of going much, much further than the first design, and it never breaks the altitude limit.

The only problem with this one is that you get three-quarters of the way up the Oregon Trail and then it's the dreaded message 'Jebediah Kerbal has died of dysentery.'

I mean, have you ever had dysentery in a spacesuit? In a pressure-sealed capsule with two other kerbals? No wonder Bob and Bill are screaming all the time.

I call them Fire and The Wheel.

I couldn't figure this out at all, then suddenly it hit me and I felt retarded. Nice idea :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.