Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - Next

Rudolf Meier

7 minutes ago, Iggyboo said:

So just had my first 1.11 craft Krak'a'sploded using this mod. This happened oddly when I removed a part and put it into cargo storage, but not when a attached the part initially. It also doesn't happen if I just remove the part and leave it floating.

I think you nailed, sir! Now I know what's happening!!! :)

8 minutes ago, Iggyboo said:

If there is no way to fix it, would there be a way to add a "Enable/Disable" button to it?

That would not help. There's code in need to be written to cope with the new KSP features!!

2 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

In any case @Lisias there is bound to be a solution somwhow, since not everyone is experiencing problems. I for one am not.  Makes me wonder what it is with my mod build that I did right (or "not wrong").

Sounds more like something you are not using, but first I need to test some hypotheses on the latest code (I'm still using an intermediary stage, after the first Meier's refactoring, but before the latest one).

Edited by Lisias
tyops!

9 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Sounds more like something you are not using, but first I need to test some hypotheses on the latest code (I'm still using an intermediary stage, after the first Meier's refactoring, but before the latest one).

If anyone can figure it out, it is you!

• 2 weeks later...

KSP was updated to day

'+++ Bugfixes
* Fix craft can wobble or even have some parts destroyed when interacting with parts and inventory slots during EVAConstruction in Flight.'

Thought I would go back and reinvestigate, as I really can't play without a reinforcement mod. Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Continued still exhibits the same behaviour, EVA construction with that mod installed causes your craft to tear itself apart. 

Good news is that this mod 'Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - Next' allowed EVA construction with out issue. It was a very quick rudimentary test, but I am optimistic.

What's everyone else experience since the update?

• 3 weeks later...

So this happened last night... I'd been frustrated with some designs wobbling too much, and tracked down this version of KJR.  Install it, load up the save, and I get this weird spaghetti thing.  I've got a bunch of mods, can post more info when I get home tonight, but it was stable before adding KJR.  Uninstaller the mod right away, and it was fine again.  2 things of note, I am running KCT, and this rocket was waiting to go on the pad when I opened the save with KJR active.  I did fly it, and it was rock solid, but by the time the boosters dropped it looked like a big green claw was coming out of the  nose of the craft, lol.

wLTBlck.png

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2021 at 3:46 PM, WhitestWizard said:

KSP was updated to day

'+++ Bugfixes
* Fix craft can wobble or even have some parts destroyed when interacting with parts and inventory slots during EVAConstruction in Flight.'

Thought I would go back and reinvestigate, as I really can't play without a reinforcement mod. Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Continued still exhibits the same behaviour, EVA construction with that mod installed causes your craft to tear itself apart. 

Good news is that this mod 'Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - Next' allowed EVA construction with out issue. It was a very quick rudimentary test, but I am optimistic.

What's everyone else experience since the update?

I experienced the exact same thing. When I tried to remove a thruster (using kerbalism) with eva construction in flight with KJR - Continued installed, it would either snap back to where it was mounted and the ship would spin, or if it touched another component, the ship would explode.

When I switched to KJR - Next, the ship stayed still and I was able to remove and replace the failed thruster successfully.

You already know this, but I thought I'd confirm the problem.  With 11.2, when I removed a part using the new inventory system I got a message that Kerbal Joint Reinforcement needed that part.  I ignored it and put it in my inventory container.  When I got back inside and tried to take off, my ship was 'stuck in molasses' (is a good way of describing it).  So I got back out, grabbed the part out of inventory, and put it back and the 'molasses' effect went away. 

I am also using Oh Scrap! The part, which was a solar panel, had broken, so I was removing it.

If you need a log, I can provide that also.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mission report, 27.06.21
KJR was causing some problems with KSP 1.11 (with EVA construction actually) wobbling, shaking, flying, gravity fluctuations, in one word: Kraken, then after a long while it began to work with 1.11.2. Fine.
But today I tried it on 1.12 aaand the Kraken-y behavior is back.

5 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Mission report, 27.06.21
KJR was causing some problems with KSP 1.11 (with EVA construction actually) wobbling, shaking, flying, gravity fluctuations, in one word: Kraken, then after a long while it began to work with 1.11.2. Fine.
But today I tried it on 1.12 aaand the Kraken-y behavior is back.

I would also like to report very wobbly docking ports. my ships are flexing by up to 90 degrees XD

On 6/27/2021 at 3:06 PM, tmccreight651 said:

I would also like to report very wobbly docking ports. my ships are flexing by up to 90 degrees XD

yeah, the new docking port functionality in 1.12 has broken KJR's ability to deal with them; weirdest thing happened last night transferring 5000t or so of cargo from a bulk freighter to an orbital refinery... unless using timewarp which puts the physics "on rails", about halfway through the transfer, the docking ports just.. separated from each other.  no reason given.
I've found that if i put quantum struts around my docking ports that can usually keep things glued together fairly well, but that wasn't necessary prior to 1.12 coming out :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, how are you guys? I have a question, and I don't know if it's a stupid question, but I'll send it lol What is the difference between "Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - Next" and "Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Continued"? (or do they do different things?)

1 hour ago, BeethovenFM said:

Hello, how are you guys? I have a question, and I don't know if it's a stupid question, but I'll send it lol What is the difference between "Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - Next" and "Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Continued"? (or do they do different things?)

There's a whole discussion about it on the first page.

15 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Have you tried it?

Yes, and I had the exact same issue as some other guys here. KJR can't handle the new docking ports, though I could temporarily work around this by installing Restock which hasn't been updated for 1.12 yet and prevents the new docking port designs & features from loading.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone found a way to make KJR Next work with 1.12's docking ports?  I tried completely commenting out all of the rotation stuff in the stock 1.25m docking port's config file, but this only stopped it from rotating - it still wasn't getting reinforced.

My plan was to just use ModuleManager to patch out the stock rotation function and use DockRotate, but if if removing the stock rotation function isn't enough to get KJR working properly, that's not a viable plan.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, leopardenthusiast said:

Just wanted to report, since 1.12.2 is out - KJR Next works on docking ports again!  However, it won't allow docking ports to rotate with the stock rotation function (the slider will move, but it won't do anything).  I'm OK with this, since I can just install DockRotate, which I think is better anyway.

This is great  news!

• 2 weeks later...

A few hours ago I decided to re-orient my station to make the docking easier for a tourism mission.

Spaghetti doesn't even describe it - I'm going to rename it Valerian as it is a mashup of the station, an old Munar landing system, a tanker, a supply shuttle I forgot to put parachutes on and some other stuff I don't even recall sending up.  Heavy fuel tanks hanging off a single 2.5m docking port were bending >45 degrees.

The oscillations just got worse over time, and when I enabled RCS I could see every module thrusting to reinforce the wrong direction.  Disabling RCS and all of the SAS modules except the one at my "command point" allowed it to subside over time, completely off-axis.

When it was safe to do so I saved the game and installed KJR-Next - totally fixed the problem, all the SAS modules are active again and the station is rigid.

Thanks for the mod.  I'm not bothered about the rotation issue, never used it as the docking port mods allow you to line up pretty easily.

• 3 weeks later...