My lander stage spins out of control with no SAS

Why would my ship be spinning out of control without SAS in space? I dont understand how that's possible.  Itll just keep spinning faster and faster for no reason (no thrusters).

My science pods are being destroyed in the atmo as i come back in to kerbin so im trying to transmit everything and will temporarily run out of power in my pod doing so and noticed this. It's also not the stabilist when i hit the thrusters (it rolls) in space even with sas on. What would cause this?

Check your pitch roll and yaw indicators. (Bottom left). If there is a pink/purple marker showing then you have trim set.

This will cause your craft to continually pitch or roll etc depending on which axis trim has been set to.

Not sure how to reset this on pc but I know it's LB+A to reset on console cursor controls .

Also it activates if you input a control axis while holding LB on consoles. Again I'm unsure what this is on pc

So yeah let us know if you see any pink markers on bottom left indicators and if you are on console or if on pc hopefully someone else can let you know how to reset trim. If Indeed this is the cause of your issues.

Edited by mikey117

14 hours ago, Aegolius13 said:

Wait a minute, you can use trim on engine gimbal to correct for off-centered thrust?  Never knew that...

Hmm yeah I never thought about that. Could come in useful.

I usually just reduce throttle  if there's more than one engine.

This will come in handy when using only one engine though

Two problems with this ... unless it's close to aligned, you're probably outside the ability of the engine to gimbal far enough, and if you try to leave the trim set, will reaction wheels make you turn while not under thrust?

On 5/5/2019 at 7:49 AM, Kryxal said:

Two problems with this ... unless it's close to aligned, you're probably outside the ability of the engine to gimbal far enough, and if you try to leave the trim set, will reaction wheels make you turn while not under thrust?

You would need to deactivate the reaction wheels, yes.  It's much better to avoid asymmetric thrust or, if not possible (this happens when trying to land bases and rovers with skycranes), then rely on the thrust limiters.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.